Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did your solar + Powerwall appear in the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fantastic Tesla crew came out and installed our PV + PW system on Friday. They came back today to install the upgraded meter (because our utility sucks) and have our final local inspection scheduled for (sometime this week?)

We have a Model S and the guys today were surprised we’re still not seeing our PV + PW in the Tesla app. I sent an email into Tesla, but perhaps it won’t appear until we get the official sign off from the inspector and turn everything on?

When were you able to see your system in your Tesla app? (I may try and see if I can find the PW on our local network tonight.)

It should show up once they've done the commissioning. In my case it didn't, my installer told me after he finished the commissioning that it should be visible in the app, but the app still told me that I had no Tesla products. It's the only time I had to call tech support, and they had it straightened out within a few minutes (they did need the Gateway serial number to add it to my account, I called while I was at work but had a picture on my phone of the Gateway innards, so I could get the serial number from the picture to read to them).

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
For me, the screen changed from the Solar advertisement the same day they completed the install for me - but it just showed a screen with no data -- marginally better than the popup that would occur when I mistakenly swiped right instead of left to switch between my S and the 3. The system was only activated for a few minutes to make sure the panels were communicating and generating power.

Once I received initial permission to operate and turned the system on, I could see instantaneous solar generation in the top of the app, but no consumption or graph data appeared. Once final PTO came via letter from the power company to Tesla, and the system was "activated" on Tesla's end (may require a call), I could see some historical solar generation but no consumption info. A call and some exchanged emails got consumption data, but it was showing wrong values (saying I was using 130kW+ of power at times) - another email fixed that. In total from PTO to getting good data and nice graphs was 4 days.

• Helpful
Very helpful, thanks!

No, I think the app issues only lasted a few hours over the weekend. I’ve signed out and back in several times since then without issue (hoping it would fix the issue of the PW not being displayed.)

We’ll see if anything happens with my request into support.

It should show up once they've done the commissioning. In my case it didn't, my installer told me after he finished the commissioning that it should be visible in the app, but the app still told me that I had no Tesla products. It's the only time I had to call tech support, and they had it straightened out within a few minutes (they did need the Gateway serial number to add it to my account, I called while I was at work but had a picture on my phone of the Gateway innards, so I could get the serial number from the picture to read to them).
Ugh. That "commissioning" step took years for me. I was using the system the whole time ... with it in my app. I think there's a disconnect between "official", when it works, and when you can see it in your app. Just call Tesla support while in your office on speakerphone working on something important like Solitaire (or whatever you do for work when on hold), and if they answer within 15 minutes, ask them about it. They might be able to fix it. Be simple in your request. Something like "I want my PowerWall and solar to show up in my Tesla app."

My emails to Tesla don't get answered any more. The last email I sent them NEVER got resolved. The average age of the Directors of Tesla went way up over the last few years, so new things like email are going the way of horses, and old stuff like Telephones are coming back in vogue. They don't even have a call-back wait queue system! It's New Age Star Trek vs. Old Fashioned 1960s over there in Tesla land, with Elon thinking it's ST:TNG and the rest of his staff thinking it's something straight out of the 1960s.

Last edited:
No, I think the app issues only lasted a few hours over the weekend. I’ve signed out and back in several times since then without issue (hoping it would fix the issue of the PW not being displayed.)
That's good to know. I saw others having the issue and nobody posted the resolution so I've just been over here with non-working Tesla apps on all of our phones. A quick lock-out, log back in and it works again. Wish I had tried that days ago but thought it was a futile effort since others were having the issue and it appeared to be a Tesla server issue.

Just got an email back from Tesla support. To their credit, it was less than 24 hours. (I only mention this specifically because *we* have never had an issue with their support; they've also been prompt, courteous, and reliable, but I realize this hasn't been the case for everybody.)

They confirmed that once we get PTO (permission to operate) from the local power company, then we would see our system appearing in the app. I don't totally get why it's necessary to "hide" it from us, but this also isn't totally unexpected since it theoretically isn't going to show us anything other than "It's not generating, it's not charging, and it's not powered on yet because you're not yet allowed to use it."

Mine went active right after install. I dont have PTO yet however ive been actively using the system to power my home and charge battery so im off grid. Tesla guys just said to be careful not to allow power to go back to grid or it could throw a red flag.

• Helpful
So.... my Tesla account reported that we were all done and now “waiting on the power company for permission to operate!”

Tesla said they were advised it could take 10-14 weeks (!!!!) which I thought sounded extreme since we’re in PA where there really isn’t a ton of solar going on, plus we have such a small system of which we will be consuming 99% of what we generate due to the Powerwalls.

On a whim, I decided to call the power company to ask for an ETA. The helpful guy put me on hold to check our project and much to my dismay, he said they were waiting on 3 more items FROM Tesla. This irks me a little bit as I was led to believe from my Tesla contact that the power company was the only thing preventing me from switching it on. Not cool.

We’ll see how responsive Tesla is on this matter.

I just wanted to update this thread in case anybody ever runs into a similar issue.

We finally got the PTO after a little bit of stumbling from both Tesla and PECO (local power co), though credit to Tesla for quickly catching up and PECO for beating their 12-14 week estimate by coming out in only a few days.

Once we flipped all the switches, I STILL couldn't see our system in our Tesla app (as I suspected) though I could access the Powerwalls from the Gateway IP address inside my home WiFi, so I knew things were working and even saw the green "Connected to Tesla" as it would upload data. I even tried the "Self Register" attempt on the website, though I suspect that really just logs a ticket and somebody on Tesla still has to do some work to link it to an account.

The next day, I called the Tesla Energy Customer Support, got right through to a very helpful person and when they went to confirm the email address, they had a typo (an "a" in place of an "e") in my email address, and this was the reason why I wasn't seeing the system in the Tesla app.

I logged out/back in while I was on the phone with her, and voila, Solar + Powerwall + Home + Grid, just like all the photos.

Moral of the story: If you don't see your system in your Tesla app, call support to verify they've got your system (Gateway serial#) linked to your correct email/login. (Of course, there could be other problems too, but this is a good first one to check.)