Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did you last touch your brake pedal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not often enough, already failed inspection on my Volt with 19K miles for to much one pedal driving. And my Model S sounds worse than volt did. All the rust was on the inside.

I work the brakes often on the S to keep my rotors from being trashed which will cost way more than what regen will ever save me.

EV manufacturers need to come up with better brake designs that are not designed for regular use to keep them functional.

Maybe stainless steel rotors.

Rarely do I need to use the friction brakes unless something out of the ordinary happens. Just look at your car on your screen when you regen, the brake lights come on showing you they have activated. Having real winters and the cold associated with it, the brake blending was a god send. Now the car feels the same no matter what.
Is that really the case? The *actual* brake lights on the car come on when braking hits a certain deceleration regardless of the braking source (regen or friction brakes). Do the car lights on the screen mimic this or (as you state) only come on when you apply frication brakes?

Is that really the case? The *actual* brake lights on the car come on when braking hits a certain deceleration regardless of the braking source (regen or friction brakes). Do the car lights on the screen mimic this or (as you state) only come on when you apply frication brakes?

The car on screen does indeed show brake lights when the actual brake lights are showing... regardless of which type of brakes are in use.

Reactions: DonaldBecker
Not often enough, already failed inspection on my Volt with 19K miles for to much one pedal driving. And my Model S sounds worse than volt did. All the rust was on the inside.

I work the brakes often on the S to keep my rotors from being trashed which will cost way more than what regen will ever save me.

EV manufacturers need to come up with better brake designs that are not designed for regular use to keep them functional.

Maybe stainless steel rotors.
This was my understanding too.

In my case, between our long winter climates and my weekly 100% charge for long trips, physical brake comes on plenty of times even with one-pedal driving. Still, the usage is nowhere near cars without regen braking so I expect my brake pads to last forever.

I'm hoping that my brakes will be ok, but this is my second winter. Maybe I should get the mechanic to check them after this winter....

Daily, if not more often. I drive in the DC area, where having people cut in front of you and slam on the brakes is the norm. If you leave a car length between you and the car in front of you, it will be filled, usually by a BMW or Audi not using a turn signal.
It seems, the more people there are, the more they're in a hurry. This causes even more to get swept up in the moment. Brake pads and horns get used more.

Reactions: bfayer62
It seems, the more people there are, the more they're in a hurry. This causes even more to get swept up in the moment. Brake pads and horns get used more.
Also, older you get, slower you become. Bigger cities in general have younger population.

I used to live in Toronto (with metro pop of 6.5mil) but now live in Belleville (56k). Most people driving here are quite elderly and they even test my patience even though I have slowed down a lot too.

And then, during that weekly trip back to Toronto, it's a shock trip every single time.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I almost never have to use the brake pedal.
But I am wondering: how would this affect the reaction time in case of an emergency of somebody always driving Tesla only, and never using the brakes? I could imagine an impact. Not sure if that was ever tested by somebody.

I’m a CREEP so I must use brake pedal! An old creep, at that. Too hard to break a 60 year habit.
I love the fact that Tesla offers these options. Creep is good, you won't have rusty rotors as some people complain about.

I ran the brake burnishing routine today from the service menu. That was an interesting experience, and the most action my brakes have had in a LONG time (ever).

Otherwise, I use the brakes so little, I'm afraid I might break them when braking. If they break, will they still brake?
Don't break the brakes...

Thanks for sharing. I bet you find that the car is very heavy and will need a lot of pressure to bring it to a stop without regen.

Also, older you get, slower you become. Bigger cities in general have younger population.

I used to live in Toronto (with metro pop of 6.5mil) but now live in Belleville (56k). Most people driving here are quite elderly and they even test my patience even though I have slowed down a lot too.

And then, during that weekly trip back to Toronto, it's a shock trip every single time.
The DC area, due to the nature of the jobs around here, tends to have a very high population of highly competitive people. They tend to see every situation as a win or lose proposition, that includes commuting in and out of the city.

Regen is a great feature to slow down the car with daily driving. Friction brakes are still required for sudden unanticipated stops (non-emergency), emergencies, and for those that truly enjoy driving an acceleration monster.

For the most part I use my brakes to correct ill timed regen braking, usually occurs at stops and cars in front suddently slowing down. I actually upgraded my front calipers to larger 6-pot to help dissipate heat better over stock on my more intense driving excursions. My main stopping power are stickier tires in combination of larger surface area coverage and aggressive pads.

Reactions: zoomer0056