Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did you last touch your brake pedal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
...other than when you drop her into gear of course

I have an 80 mile rt commute and I consider it bad form to touch the brake pedal (though obviously not as bad as slamming into the car in front of me)

I can generally manage it, but today had a teensy misjudgment and had to take a dab. Demerits for me!

It didn't take too long to get used to either, though it was the most 'unusual' feature I encountered on the original test drive

Reactions: boulder.dude
If I'm on the highway or bigger four-lane road going 55+ mph and the light turns yellow at just the right time, it often requires some brake pedal input. Regen just doesn't decelerate you as quickly when you're going fast vs going like 25 mph. Besides that, it's usually some type of misjudgment either by me or another driver that requires the brake.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Every time I drive. I feel as if Tesla degraded my M3 regen braking and is now doing it to my MY to spite me. I recently drove a MY loaner and the regen was MUCH stronger than both of my cars. Pisses me off as it is one of the advantages to EV's (for me anyways).

Every time I drive. I feel as if Tesla degraded my M3 regen braking and is now doing it to my MY to spite me. I recently drove a MY loaner and the regen was MUCH stronger than both of my cars. Pisses me off as it is one of the advantages to EV's (for me anyways).
Interesting. I recently had a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor loaner and the regen was much weaker than my 2021 MY.

Doesn't the 3 have settings for Off, Low, High or something, but the Y just has ON?

It’s good to use the brake pedal occasionally to help clear off rust and corrosion.

I wouldn’t make it a goal to try and never touch the brake pedal because then the brake corrosion will make the brakes less effective when you actually need to rely on it.

Fair point and yes I've read this elsewhere

I think if you have ACC on and the regen isn't going to be enough, it'll apply the pads

. . . though I suppose this isn't the recommended way to keep the rotors clean - lol

Mine has standard and low last I checked

Thats all there is (standard and low), there was never a low / med / high for regen settings on model 3 (or Y) at least not one I have ever seen since I bought mine in 2018. Its definitely weaker on my model 3 than it was when I got it. I dont need to try to measure it to notice it (and there are some threads about it too).

My Y has the option to blend braking in when regen is limited. It's really nice having a consistent brake feel even after being parked outside all night in the winter, but it does mean that almost daily the car is doing a little bit of mechanical braking for me under full regen.

It was a little alarming at first, since it actually moves the brake pedal in your foot well. Sometimes I feel the brake pedal brush past my foot and often when I actually go to brake the pedal is already pushed down a bit, which takes some getting used to.

...other than when you drop her into gear of course

I have an 80 mile rt commute and I consider it bad form to touch the brake pedal (though obviously not as bad as slamming into the car in front of me)

I can generally manage it, but today had a teensy misjudgment and had to take a dab. Demerits for me!

It didn't take too long to get used to either, though it was the most 'unusual' feature I encountered on the original test drive
Rarely, for me, and even when I do I'm not really aware of it, after using one-pedal driving ever since it was available. I understand that it's a good idea to occasionally use the brakes to stop them rusting (though I'm no motor-head so won knows?).

One-pedal driving uses the exact same mechanical process as putting your foot on the brake pedal. Master cylinder is activated electronically (evidenced by movement of brake pedal), fluid is pushed through the brake lines which activates the caliper pistons for the brake disks to clamp against the rotors.

One-pedal driving uses the exact same mechanical process as putting your foot on the brake pedal. Master cylinder is activated electronically (evidenced by movement of brake pedal), fluid is pushed through the brake lines which activates the caliper pistons for the brake disks to clamp against the rotors.
Only if regen braking is limited and you have the setting turned on to blend mechanical brakes. Otherwise it does not normally activate mechanical brakes in one pedal driving.

Reactions: fholbert
Only if regen braking is limited and you have the setting turned on to blend mechanical brakes. Otherwise it does not normally activate mechanical brakes in one pedal driving.
If that is true, then how does the car come to a complete stop when in Hold mode? Afaik, Hold does not require the blending option, yet it still brings the car to a complete stop. I’ve only used Hold a few times, so not completely familiar with all the nuances.

If that is true, then how does the car come to a complete stop when in Hold mode? Afaik, Hold does not require the blending option, yet it still brings the car to a complete stop. I’ve only used Hold a few times, so not completely familiar with all the nuances.
The permanent magnet motors can bring the car to a full stop. The car does apply light brake pressure once stopped to help with holding the car still, but that won’t do anything to help burn off corrosion on the brakes because they are applied after the car is already stopped.

Reactions: fholbert and Occhis