Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel/Tire Options with Data.... Please contribute if you know of any

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have moved to yet another setup for the car.

Enkei Raijins
19x9.5 +35 Front
19x9.5 +35 Rear
245/45r19 Eagle RS-A Front
255/45r19 Eagle RS-A Rear

So far I really like this setup. The sidewall of the rear tires are a bit big for my taste but fill the fender well. The wheels have a nice concave look to them.

There was a little fitment problem in the front where the inside of the wheel was touching the control arm. A 3mm spacer fixed this so if you want
to run a 9.5 up front I would suggest going with a lower offset (~+30)

Please excuse the dirty car. I can't get a break from the rain here. As soon as I wash the car it rains again :(
g9o8.jpg

ug80.jpg

Can I ask what you thought of the Potenzas in relation to the OEM Eagles? They're on my short list for tires, but I haven't decided if I'll stick them on the stock wheels or get something else.

I have the 19" Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires and the rolling resistance is terrible.
Costs me at least 15% mileage off a full charge vs. standard Goodyears.
Tesla said they were the worst tires they tested for LRR.
Other than that though they are a great tire for traction and wear.

I have the 19" Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires and the rolling resistance is terrible.
Costs me at least 15% mileage off a full charge vs. standard Goodyears.
Tesla said they were the worst tires they tested for LRR.
Other than that though they are a great tire for traction and wear.
Hmm... That's not good. The search continues, I guess. I'm not expecting great rolling resistance from any summer tire, but I certainly don't want to get the worst one they tested. Thanks!

There was a little fitment problem in the front where the inside of the wheel was touching the control arm. A 3mm spacer fixed this so if you want
to run a 9.5 up front I would suggest going with a lower offset (~+30
Please help me understand offset correctly. Offset it the amount of space from the hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. If you added a 3mm spacer, then would you need more offset from the wheel (35mm currently) rather than less? So you would need closer to 38mm offset, not 30mm?
offset.gif

From Tirerack.com

---Update---
I understand now (after looking at my own diagram): Smaller offset moves wheel out.

Last edited:
Please help me understand offset correctly. Offset it the amount of space from the hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. If you added a 3mm spacer, then would you need more offset from the wheel (35mm currently) rather than less? So you would need closer to 38mm offset, not 30mm?
View attachment 34874
From Tirerack.com

---Update---
I understand now (after looking at my own diagram): Smaller offset moves wheel out.

Yep!

The dotted line in the diagram represents 0mm of offset. Move the line to the right and that is positive. My wheels are a +35 offset which means you move the line 35mm to the right for the hub of the wheel. Move the line to the left and you get negative offset. For my application I need less backspacing on the wheel which means I need more negative offset in the wheel to reduce the amount of width to the left of the line. That gave me the clearance to the control arm.

I have a shot of buying one other Estonian's pre-ordered P85 that is almost completely the same config I have on order, the main difference is that his are with 21" rims while for winter I'd not want 21" ones. Therefore I'm trying to find locally some rims I could use for winter. However not having the car on hand poses the problem that I can't do fittings therefore can someone tell me what really are the limits for winter driving (i.e. I want some space between the wheel and body/suspension for heavy snow driving).

The CoC says:
Winter Wheel / Tyre:
245/45/R19, 102V ‐ 19x8.0j – 40mm offset

However it's almost impossible to find exactly that kind of rim config here so I'd really appreciate to know how much margin for error there is on the inside and outside from this standard config. I have an ET calculation tool at one rims website where I can see how much the inside and outside difference is to stock so I could use that to validate if it's within the margin of error.

I have a shot of buying one other Estonian's pre-ordered P85 that is almost completely the same config I have on order, the main difference is that his are with 21" rims while for winter I'd not want 21" ones. Therefore I'm trying to find locally some rims I could use for winter. However not having the car on hand poses the problem that I can't do fittings therefore can someone tell me what really are the limits for winter driving (i.e. I want some space between the wheel and body/suspension for heavy snow driving).

The CoC says:
Winter Wheel / Tyre:

However it's almost impossible to find exactly that kind of rim config here so I'd really appreciate to know how much margin for error there is on the inside and outside from this standard config. I have an ET calculation tool at one rims website where I can see how much the inside and outside difference is to stock so I could use that to validate if it's within the margin of error.

Anyone?

The CoC says:
Winter Wheel / Tyre:

The stock wheel setup has a ton of room. For winter tires you want as skinny as possible so I would reommend sticking with an 8" wide wheel. Otherwise you are good on the offset. Anywhere from +30 to +45 will fit fine in the wheel well and you will have plenty of clearance for snow. Stick with the 245/45r19 tires and some quality snow tires (there are plenty of threads on TMC about snow tires) and mount them on the wheels. You will be all set.

The stock wheel setup has a ton of room. For winter tires you want as skinny as possible so I would reommend sticking with an 8" wide wheel. Otherwise you are good on the offset. Anywhere from +30 to +45 will fit fine in the wheel well and you will have plenty of clearance for snow. Stick with the 245/45r19 tires and some quality snow tires (there are plenty of threads on TMC about snow tires) and mount them on the wheels. You will be all set.

Well for tires I already ordered the Nokian Hakkapellita 8 245/45R19's with delivery on Monday. So are you saying that even with 19" x 9" an offset of +30..+45 is fine? The reason I ask is because it's not always possible to find 8" ones here at least not on short notice. The one really cheap set from some BMW owner that I found has 9" front and 10" back wheels, he's currently looking what the offset is. Those I could get probably the full set for €400-500, which is excellent as I only need them for winter when they are anyway mostly full of snow ;)

Well for tires I already ordered the Nokian Hakkapellita 8 245/45R19's with delivery on Monday. So are you saying that even with 19" x 9" an offset of +30..+45 is fine? The reason I ask is because it's not always possible to find 8" ones here at least not on short notice. The one really cheap set from some BMW owner that I found has 9" front and 10" back wheels, he's currently looking what the offset is. Those I could get probably the full set for €400-500, which is excellent as I only need them for winter when they are anyway mostly full of snow ;)

A 245/45 has a max recommended fitment of 8.5 inch wide wheel. I would look for a 8 or an 8.5 inch wide wheel. Or go with a wider tire to fit the cheap wheels you found.

FWIW - I have a 245/45 on a 9.5 inch wide wheel. It is not recommended but it will fit and I have had no issues. I wouldn't put a 245/45 on a 10" wide wheel. A 255/45 would be a better fit but will change the overall wheel/tire rolling diameter.