Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Size and BMS Calculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know when you go from 20 - 22s the car resets and recalculates range etc. But is that due to the weight of the wheels, the size of the wheels or the aerodynamics? Asking because I'm going to make the switch but the 22s I get are lighter than the 20s I had on, so should would it make sense to keep it set with the cyberstream wheels or should I switch?

Also, wish I could upload a model file for my wheels to whatever engine they use to generate the car so I could represent them in the avatar :)

So I know when you go from 20 - 22s the car resets and recalculates range etc. But is that due to the weight of the wheels, the size of the wheels or the aerodynamics? Asking because I'm going to make the switch but the 22s I get are lighter than the 20s I had on, so should would it make sense to keep it set with the cyberstream wheels or should I switch?

Also, wish I could upload a model file for my wheels to whatever engine they use to generate the car so I could represent them in the avatar :)
The range loss is mostly due to the tires no longer being Low Rolling Resistance tires. You replaced them with high performance tires. Grippy performance tires are meant to hold on to the pavement better, which consumes more energy.

But is that due to the weight of the wheels, the size of the wheels or the aerodynamics?
I think none of those things.
The range loss is mostly due to the tires no longer being Low Rolling Resistance tires.
I don't think it's that either.

I think the main aspect of it is that taller tires with more sidewall to them are more flexibility to smooth out the ride and absorb road vibration and impact, which keeps efficiency up. Really big rims with little rubber band tires around them are a hard bumpy ride, where every bump in the road surface effectively jostles the car, detracting from its momentum, which is sucking away efficiency. So it's that overall effect that bigger rims mean thinner tires, which means bumpier ride.