Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Rust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calipers need to be powdercoated. Paint will burn off with the extreme heat generated from the brakes. I had mine done on my 97 dodge viper gts. Red, to match the car. Around $500 and a 2 week wait. Gorgeous, high gloss, easy cleaning, fully rebuilt too.

Attachments

• v10.jpg
    v10.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • v31.jpg
    v31.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
Looks nice Dr. T ...did you use the POR 15 product or something else?
Kind of funny...you have silver wheels (but painted black), I have black wheels (but painted silver)...I kind have wished that I painted mine black now...:biggrin:
I did not use the POR but do appreciate that it sounds like a more economical and just as good idea.
One of my 1st design enhancements was chromed wheels and painted the outside lip all black in essence to make the wheel seem larger and extend all the way to the tire by keeping the "spokes" chrome; thanx.
PS-Drove through Grimsby years ago when I watched back to back Kings games in Toronto and then Buffalo. Looking forward to visiting Ottawa next month for the NHL All-Star Game!

If you're up in Ottawa, you should give Doug_G a ring...if you make it back to the Niagara Peninsula / Toronto area, give me a shout & I'll run up for a visit!

I did not use the POR but do appreciate that it sounds like a more economical and just as good idea.
One of my 1st design enhancements was chromed wheels and painted the outside lip all black in essence to make the wheel seem larger and extend all the way to the tire by keeping the "spokes" chrome; thanx.
PS-Drove through Grimsby years ago when I watched back to back Kings games in Toronto and then Buffalo. Looking forward to visiting Ottawa next month for the NHL All-Star Game!

POR 15, last time I checked, needed a top coat in order to protect it from UV rays. UV will break down POR 15. Can anyone confirm this on a new can?

Last time I used it was 4-5 years ago...

Just would want to make sure someone does not go through all this work to then have UV destroy all the hard work...

NEWDL, I'm going up to the body shop this morning so I'll ask about it.

POR 15, last time I checked, needed a top coat in order to protect it from UV rays. UV will break down POR 15. Can anyone confirm this on a new can?

Last time I used it was 4-5 years ago...

Just would want to make sure someone does not go through all this work to then have UV destroy all the hard work...

Ok, Paul just called me back...he said the POR15 is a two part application...primer & top coat.

Not sure how much the UV would affect this anyway...partially hidden & shaded be the wheels and always perpendicular to the road is not the most exposed angle to the sun...

To me, it reads as Paul told me...2 applications...the primer & the top coat (#10)

Possible. Depends on if he uses it as the directions suggest. A few of the local guys here do not follow POR15's directions and use a primer before POR15. We had bad experiences with shops not applying it correctly or knowing how to use it best. Once we had to fix what they did wrong we chose to do it ourself. Never had a problem since.

I am not saying your guy is wrong...it sounds like he knows what he is doing. I just want to inform so others may be able to avoid frustrations we have been forced to deal with in the past.