Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your color? - production

What's your favorite color? - production

• Black

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • White

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Blue

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Grey

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Brown

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • Pearl White

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been gungho white for a while, but Robert.Boston posted that black pic, and Tesla just put this one up on their Facebook page:

402505_10150587723892801_18790602800_9116296_551607452_n.jpg

Now I'm torn... Black shows dirt so easily and you lose many of the lines of a car in black, but it looks nice with the S, and I think the silver window trim helps keep the overall shape visible. I guess I'll need to see what exterior accents they have for the performance model. If there is external carbon fiber, definitely no black.

They said there will be CF accents for the performance version. I really think you can't go wrong with either one but I'd prefer the white with CF accents. Think it looks pretty good on my Roadster at least. I'm leaning towards Signature Red.

Evan, always wanted to ask you: how did you get R 77? Do you own a Roadster? Or, friends with an owner who helped you get the R reservation?
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...

Ok, maybe just some bruises... I have a friend I know through my Prius connections that has a Roadster. I've been looking at Tesla for a long time, got in VERY early after they started taking reservations (took about 8 hours to get approval from that same matrimonial accountant of mine), then managed to get one of my friend's R numbers.

The black was, frankly, stunning. You could pull up in front of the embassy or the Oscars in this car and look completely in place.

The Santana Row rep agreed with my take -- it's going to be *really* hard to make a call among these colors until/unless we see them on a real vehicle. As he said, each color brings out different lines, highlights, shadows...arrrgh. I went into the store expecting to love the green, but was a little less than captured by it--perhaps a touch too pale, too gray? The brown was very handsome; with the tan interior and (the new, less shiny) banana leaf trim, that could be a super combo.

The black was, frankly, stunning. You could pull up in front of the embassy or the Oscars in this car and look completely in place.

The Santana Row rep agreed with my take -- it's going to be *really* hard to make a call among these colors until/unless we see them on a real vehicle. As he said, each color brings out different lines, highlights, shadows...arrrgh. I went into the store expecting to love the green, but was a little less than captured by it--perhaps a touch too pale, too gray? The brown was very handsome; with the tan interior and (the new, less shiny) banana leaf trim, that could be a super combo.

On that note: Am I the only one that thinks the online Model S design studio does a so-so job distinguishing the different colors? All the non-whites look very dark and similar to me... The Roadster design studio is better in that sense, IMHO.

You really can't go wrong with almost any of the colors I think. They each have their strengths as Robert said and provide a different look/feel. Whatever color you pick, don't second guess yourself. Once you lock in, be happy with it and enjoy the car.

On that note: Am I the only one that thinks the online Model S design studio does a so-so job distinguishing the different colors? All the non-whites look very dark and similar to me... IMHO.

I agree. Even when we viewed the color samples in the Santana Row store most of the non-whites (except silver) looked very dark and similar to us.

For that reason, and because we live in Florida, if we had to choose based on this imperfect information we would go with silver. We are still interested in the blue and Muir Red, but we will need to see them on a car.

Larry

Last edited:
... I have a friend I know through my Prius connections that has a Roadster. I've been looking at Tesla for a long time, got in VERY early after they started taking reservations (took about 8 hours to get approval from that same matrimonial accountant of mine), then managed to get one of my friend's R numbers.

Neat!

And, folks, about Black, I know it looks great but, for those of you who've never had a black car before (and who don't have a full-time chauffeur to take care of the car for you), I'd dearly love to warn you once again: maintenance is a bi**h! I had a black VW Passat for 5 years and it used to sport a very visible layer of dust within hours of every car wash :-|

Neat!

And, folks, about Black, I know it looks great but, for those of you who've never had a black car before (and who don't have a full-time chauffeur to take care of the car for you), I'd dearly love to warn you once again: maintenance is a bi**h! I had a black VW Passat for 5 years and it used to sport a very visible layer of dust within hours of every car wash :-|

Not only that. But those cars are hot as ... oh wait it cools off before I get to it. Again I have to rethink everything ...

Neat!

Maybe I need to do a cost analysis showing the savings in car wash expense over the first 5 years of ownership if I get a non-black car?!!

Neat!

I have a black ICE car, and I don't think it has ever successfully dried following a wash without getting dirty.

I have to say that the brown is really nice. It really depends on how dark the brown is. From the swatches in the Tesla store, I really like it. Infiniti has this brown leather that is really nice, I hope Tesla has some interesting interior choices besides white and black.

I have to say that the brown is really nice. It really depends on how dark the brown is. From the swatches in the Tesla store, I really like it. Infiniti has this brown leather that is really nice, I hope Tesla has some interesting interior choices besides white and black.
The brown metallic paint did look nice on the little car. Too bad you can't take those things outside into the sunlight!

The interior choices are, to my thinking, disappointing. On non-Sig, you have black microfiber and 3 leathers: black, tan, and gray. Sig add white leather as an option. I dearly wish that a saddle color leather were offered -- why is it so hard to get leather in leather color?