Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the most miles anyone has driven without having to take it in for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3 last Thursday and despite thinking the worse about the delivery (I read these forums) all was perfect. Took it directly to the wrapper to get a clear bra and ceramic coating. I got the car Saturday evening and have been loving it since.
Near my house yesterday the screen lit up with a cascade of error messages: Automatic Emergency Braking disabled; Steering assist not working- call Service; and traction control disabled. The car still drove fine but showed all these failures.
I pulled over and called service. After a reboot did nothing, I was told to bring the car in if I felt it safe to drive.
I went home and turned around to go to the service center. Having shut the car down at home, all the error messages were gone when I left for the service center. I went anyway. The examination of my logs lead the technician to determine that I needed a new steering module. Brand new car and the steering module fails? I have less than 100 miles. Of course, the service center is behind so it will be a day and a half before they can even get started (maybe I got lucky on that count. I suppose it could have been worse).
My concern is how often will this type of failure occur? Was the part bad? Do they fail just because? I was lucky that I was near my home and a service center. What if I was driving who knows where and I get a catastrophic system failure? Can I ever be confident that the car will be reliable?
I'm wondering if there are people driving Model 3s for thousands of miles with no issues? Can we expect these cars to be as reliable as they should?
Im concerned.

I picked up my M3 last Thursday and despite thinking the worse about the delivery (I read these forums) all was perfect. Took it directly to the wrapper to get a clear bra and ceramic coating. I got the car Saturday evening and have been loving it since.
Near my house yesterday the screen lit up with a cascade of error messages: Automatic Emergency Braking disabled; Steering assist not working- call Service; and traction control disabled. The car still drove fine but showed all these failures.
I pulled over and called service. After a reboot did nothing, I was told to bring the car in if I felt it safe to drive.
I went home and turned around to go to the service center. Having shut the car down at home, all the error messages were gone when I left for the service center. I went anyway. The examination of my logs lead the technician to determine that I needed a new steering module. Brand new car and the steering module fails? I have less than 100 miles. Of course, the service center is behind so it will be a day and a half before they can even get started (maybe I got lucky on that count. I suppose it could have been worse).
My concern is how often will this type of failure occur? Was the part bad? Do they fail just because? I was lucky that I was near my home and a service center. What if I was driving who knows where and I get a catastrophic system failure? Can I ever be confident that the car will be reliable?
I'm wondering if there are people driving Model 3s for thousands of miles with no issues? Can we expect these cars to be as reliable as they should?
Im concerned.
Same happened to me!!!

In my Dodge Ram. Steering pump went out in the first week of ownership.

Since then... water pump has gone out. Fuel pump has gone out (had to replace the entire fuel system as it was redesigned and individual parts no longer available... and they didn't cover it unless it failed in the first 2 years).

Point is - stuff happens. Most likely for things (esp electronics) to fail very early or very late in life.

Same happened to me!!!

In my Dodge Ram. Steering pump went out in the first week of ownership.

Since then... water pump has gone out. Fuel pump has gone out (had to replace the entire fuel system as it was redesigned and individual parts no longer available... and they didn't cover it unless it failed in the first 2 years).

Point is - stuff happens. Most likely for things (esp electronics) to fail very early or very late in life.
My concern is the this is a brand new paradigm breaking car, and people are writing all over the place about the haphazard roll out.. How do we know the longevity of its newly engineered parts. BTW: had no real issues with my Model S!

My concern is the this is a brand new paradigm breaking car How do we know the longevity of its newly engineered parts.

You answered your own question, it is a brand new paradigm breaking car so there is no way to know the longevity of the parts. As early adopters we will be the people to find out the longevity of the parts but as stated above most electronics fail early or make it to the end of their life cycle. So most of our issues should happen during the warranty period or way down the road (when hopefully parts are cheaper and more readily available).

I have put on 10,000 miles on my Model 3 in just 2 months. No major mechanical problems at all, but taking in for service next week for a few aesthetic problems and a short with the horn connection. Still drives brand new like when I got it (and I had to take it off road last weekend at a relatives home which freaked me out entirely but did surprisingly well).

I perceive of a Tesla as more like a computer in many ways than a gasoline car. the cliché with electronics is that if it is going to fail it will fail early. that has certainly been my experience with computers and other digital electronics. I have some very old computers that still run great but have replaced or repaired several that failed soon.

I will argue that a Tesla repair early on is of no concern at all. I would be much more concerned to hear about failures after several years particularly after the warranty expires.

I've got over 13k miles and have not taken in for service. Is the service interval different on the Model 3? Owner's manual only says to rotate tires every 6250 miles and:

Brake fluid. Every 2 years or 25,000 miles (40,000 km), whichever comes first.
Battery coolant. Every 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

My Model X has a different schedule:

Take Model X to Tesla at the regularly scheduled maintenance intervals of every 12 months, or every 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first.

Reactions: APotatoGod
23000 kms here. no service centre yet. Just one one site mobile call for key fob. They came to my place and replaced both fobs for free.. outstanding service and vehicle. unbelievable the reliability. cant say the same for my other 6 ice vehicles.. face palm........

• Love
Reactions: Electroman