Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best App/Web Site for Public Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

first of all - hello All. My GF and I just got our first EV, a Model 3. We live in Naperville, IL.
We are slowly learning about the various EV charging companies and networks and start realizing that things are a little more complex than anticipated. A 'public' charger isn't a free charger. A 'free parking' charger might be still not free. 'Destination chargers' are maybe not free, or only accessible to the customers of the 'destination' and on top of it have parking fees. And so on.
What is your favorite/most useful app to find out about charging stations? Which ones clearly spell out which company runs the charger and what the real deal is? I read some really pissed off complaints about some charger systems, being charged money by the minute for example when no electric charge happens, sign up fees, supposedly 'free charging' that's not free. Stations not working, or not available even though their app says they are.

Thanks all, and we are looking forward to participating in this forum
Stephan and Dana

Hello guys,

first of all - hello All. My GF and I just got our first EV, a Model 3. We live in Naperville, IL.
We are slowly learning about the various EV charging companies and networks and start realizing that things are a little more complex than anticipated. A 'public' charger isn't a free charger. A 'free parking' charger might be still not free. 'Destination chargers' are maybe not free, or only accessible to the customers of the 'destination' and on top of it have parking fees. And so on.
What is your favorite/most useful app to find out about charging stations? Which ones clearly spell out which company runs the charger and what the real deal is? I read some really pissed off complaints about some charger systems, being charged money by the minute for example when no electric charge happens, sign up fees, supposedly 'free charging' that's not free. Stations not working, or not available even though their app says they are.

Thanks all, and we are looking forward to participating in this forum
Stephan and Dana

Many will point you to Plugshare and it is indeed the de facto standard for agnostic charging.

However, I've been playing with Chargeway (Home) and find its focus on simplifying compatible chargers to be quite ingenious.

Chargeway sets up charging using colors and numbers.

As Tesla Owners, we are considered RED and the power level starts at 1 and goes up to 7. The higher the number, the more power you, as a driver, can get.

If you use the J1772 adapter that came with your car, that would show what is known as GREEN stations up to 2 is compatible with your Tesla, as long as you use the adapter.

When Tesla releases the update for the CHAdeMO widely and you decide to spend the money on that adapter, then you get access to RED stations (Tesla is compatible for up to 4 level power, in Chargeway parlance.)

Hope this helps,

Dennis

Welcome! I think the general consensus for the best app/site for finding locations (in North America) is PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. Be sure to set your filters properly though. And you may have to spend some additional time learning about the network rules for a specific charger.

If you're looking for charging places in areas where Plugshare doesn't have anything listed, you can always try RV parks and campsites that might have a 50A receptacle (NEMA 14-50) you can charge at. For that, people tend to recommend RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos.

Many will point you to Plugshare and it is indeed the de facto standard for agnostic charging.

However, I've been playing with Chargeway (Home) and find its focus on simplifying compatible chargers to be quite ingenious.

Chargeway sets up charging using colors and numbers.

As Tesla Owners, we are considered RED and the power level starts at 1 and goes up to 7. The higher the number, the more power you, as a driver, can get.

If you use the J1772 adapter that came with your car, that would show what is known as GREEN stations up to 2 is compatible with your Tesla, as long as you use the adapter.

When Tesla releases the update for the CHAdeMO widely and you decide to spend the money on that adapter, then you get access to RED stations (Tesla is compatible for up to 4 level power, in Chargeway parlance.)

Hope this helps,

Dennis
CHAdeMO is GREEN, not RED