Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! What do you guys think about the prices for EV charging today? I recently counted that apps like ChargePoint add nearly 79% to the charging station's original price and are not the only ones. What do you do about it: find cheaper solutions or prefer not to use public chargers or apps at all?

Hi everyone! What do you guys think about the prices for EV charging today? I recently counted that apps like ChargePoint add nearly 79% to the charging station's original price and are not the only ones. What do you do about it: find cheaper solutions or prefer not to use public chargers or apps at all?
That's a multi-faceted question because there are so many variations...

Personally, my decisions factor heavily on cost and convenience. So... I don't mind at all charging at home every night at 10 cents per kwh so, spending $5 or 6 for most of a charge.
I have free supercharging so I don't mind using that at all. But, I just found the other day where it shows that all of my local superchargers normally charge 42 cents per kwh. At that rate, it would be more expensive to drive my Model S than it would be to drive my Prius on fuel alone.
I've only used anything else a few times. Biggest problem is how slow it is, so if there happens to be a charger where I'm shopping and it's free or near the 10 centers per kwh rate, then I'd plug in. (which is rare)
Otherwise, I'd generally only use a different public charger if I had to, like the other day when I needed a charge but there was a gas leak, resulting in the power being turned off to the supercharger and I didn't have enough power to make it to the next supercharger. So, I searched out the highest power I could find(still slow) and it was $1/hr at the parking garage which I was OK with. but then only one of the 2 destination chargers was working and it was in use. So I ended up at the J1772 charger which again only had one working, which I was able to plug into, but was only 6KW. So slower by about a factor of 10.