Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's next after V10.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
So V10.0 is out now and it has lots of goodies. Time to think about what's next. What do we think will come in future updates in say V10.1 or 10.2?

A few features I think we can expect "coming soon":

Smart Park
Elon hinted that it could be coming in V10.1. I am guessing it will combine Smart Summon and Auto Park and allow the car to auto park during Smart Summon. It might also just be a better version of Auto Park that can park between lines and does not need parked cars on either side.

Traffic Light Response
This feature is promised as coming by the end of this year which is just a few months away now. So I would expect Tesla is working on releasing it "soon". I think it could come in V10.1 or V10.2.

Automatic City Driving
This feature is also promised by end of this year but I don't think we will get the full feature yet. But I suspect that we might get the skeleton for it in V10.1 or 10.2. By skeleton I mean, we might get NOA enabled on some non highway roads. The car might do some auto lane changes with no confirmation on some multi lane non-interstate roads. And coupled with traffic light response, we might inch our way closer to automatic city driving.

Driver Visualizations
I suspect that V10.1 or V10.2 might introduce more driver visualizations like we saw in the FSD video.

Improved Smart Summon
I would expect V10.1 and 10.2 to introduce some refinements and improvements to Smart Summon that make it faster and more confident and more reliable.

Text Message Support
This was a feature teased by Musk. I would expect it to come in V10.1 or 10.2 as well.

Overall, I do think we can look forward to more features coming after V10.0.

I'm still hoping for navigation waypoints and alternate route options.
I read that Tesla will improve the EV Trip Planner:

I would like to be able to have the Model 3 screen to split in half like on the Model S and Model X
so you can still display the navigation map on the top and be able to display the rear view miror, music, car settings... on the bottom part.

So V10.0 is out now and it has lots of goodies. Time to think about what's next. What do we think will come in future updates in say V10.1 or 10.2?

A few features I think we can expect "coming soon":

Smart Park
Elon hinted that it could be coming in V10.1. I am guessing it will combine Smart Summon and Auto Park and allow the car to auto park during Smart Summon. It might also just be a better version of Auto Park that can park between lines and does not need parked cars on either side.

Traffic Light Response
This feature is promised as coming by the end of this year which is just a few months away now. So I would expect Tesla is working on releasing it "soon". I think it could come in V10.1 or V10.2.

Automatic City Driving
This feature is also promised by end of this year but I don't think we will get the full feature yet. But I suspect that we might get the skeleton for it in V10.1 or 10.2. By skeleton I mean, we might get NOA enabled on some non highway roads. The car might do some auto lane changes with no confirmation on some multi lane non-interstate roads. And coupled with traffic light response, we might inch our way closer to automatic city driving.

Driver Visualizations
I suspect that V10.1 or V10.2 might introduce more driver visualizations like we saw in the FSD video.

Improved Smart Summon
I would expect V10.1 and 10.2 to introduce some refinements and improvements to Smart Summon that make it faster and more confident and more reliable.

Text Message Support
This was a feature teased by Musk. I would expect it to come in V10.1 or 10.2 as well.

Overall, I do think we can look forward to more features coming after V10.0.
More interesting would be your timelines for each. May be we should have a poll on each and compare when they actually come out ;)

I hope to see traffic light / stop sign response this year. As in not likely, but would be great if we get them.

Well, I'm going to assume that the good 'ol boys will be pretty much fully busy with summon and smart park this year...hey they still have to release it in canada ;) I think stop sign/traffic light is low hanging fruit and SOME version of NoA-C, maybe just suggested lane changes, by end of year in EAP or first thing 2020.

More interesting would be your timelines for each. May be we should have a poll on each and compare when they actually come out ;)

I hope to see traffic light / stop sign response this year. As in not likely, but would be great if we get them.

Here's is my rough timeline:

Nov 2019: Text message support
Dec 2019: Traffic Light Response, improved driver visualization
Jan 2020: Improved Smart Summon
March 2020: Automatic City Driving

2nd quarter 2020: Traffic Light Warning
4rd quarter 2020: Traffic Light Handling for AP3
Summer 2022: Non-highway driving but not at city level, like simple roundabouts
Summer 2027: Regular US City Driving, like complex junctions that lack pedestrians and cyclists
Summer 2030: System is capable of driving in most EU cities
Summer 2035: System is capable of driving in all EU cities
December 2035: Approval of the above for the EU for all cars with fully redundant hardware which will not approve any of the current Tesla vehicles

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I will be thrilled if your timeline is correct.

It is worth noting that my timeline puts Tesla 3 months late on "automatic city driving".

2nd quarter 2020: Traffic Light Warning
4rd quarter 2020: Traffic Light Handling for AP3
Summer 2022: Non-highway driving but not at city level, like simple roundabouts
Summer 2027: Regular US City Driving, like complex junctions that lack pedestrians and cyclists
Summer 2030: System is capable of driving in most EU cities
Summer 2035: System is capable of driving in all EU cities
December 2035: Approval of the above for the EU for all cars with fully redundant hardware which will not approve any of the current Tesla vehicles

We already have a form of traffic light warning now. It was released months ago as "auto steer stop light warning".

Your timeline is way too pessimistic. Tesla already has traffic light handling working in shadow mode in our cars now. So I doubt it will take Tesla a whole year to release it to the public. And Tesla already has semi-reliable automatic city driving working now in their development cars that can do what you predict for Summer 2020. So I highly doubt that it will take Tesla 2.5 years to release and 7 years to release full automatic city driving as you predict. It will happen sooner than that.

It is worth noting that my timeline puts Tesla 3 months late on "automatic city driving".

That would be an improvement over the track record so far. i really want them to get this right. “Smart Summon” is little more than a gimmick, IMHO, and clearly rushed out in an attempt to meet a promised date. City driving needs to be done right, and I would rather they miss the promised date than ship something that is dangerous.

We already have a form of traffic light warning now. It was released months ago as "auto steer stop light warning".

Aah, yes, seen it in the video but not seen on any EU model.

Tesla already has traffic light handling working in shadow mode in our cars now. So I doubt it will take Tesla a whole year to release it to the public.

The thing here is, you could add a traffic light recognition feature but in order to fully have the car brake at traffic lights requires the feature to work 100%, not 99.9 or 99.9999.

already has semi-reliable automatic city driving working now in their development cars that can do what you predict for Summer 2020.

You really think that in 8 months time Smart Summon will be able to go from its current state to automatic city driving? As in New York city driving? Able to take roundabouts, stop correctly for crossing pedestrians, be able to cooperate with bicyclists on the road? Stop for railroad crossings?

Let Tesla first add traffic sign recognition and the ability to correctly maneuver exits on highways. That still doesn't work after all these years.

Smart summon makes it painfully clear that we are a long way from self driving at city level. Its an amazing achievement in its current form and I admire the way Tesla innovates but this is not happening next year. Especially not in the EU where cities are much more complex.

You really think that in 8 months time Smart Summon will be able to go from its current state to automatic city driving? As in New York city driving? Able to take roundabouts, stop correctly for crossing pedestrians, be able to cooperate with bicyclists on the road? Stop for railroad crossings?

No, of course not!! But Smart Summon is not a precursor to Automatic City Driving. It is not intended to do any of those things. It's Automatic City Driving that will do those things, not Smart Summon. Smart Summon and Automatic City Driving are two different features. Tesla has not released Automatic City Driving yet.

Smart summon makes it painfully clear that we are a long way from self driving at city level. Its an amazing achievement in its current form and I admire the way Tesla innovates but this is not happening next year.

Smart Summon does not tell us anything at all about Tesla's ability to do city self-driving because it is a completely different feature. We have to wait for Tesla to release Automatic City Driving which is a separate feature from Smart Summon to see what Tesla can do in terms of city self-driving.

Reactions: 82bert