Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's difference between remanufactured HV packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
That you get from Tesla vs 3rd party vendor. Do both take faulty pack and keep good cells/modules/hardware? Then replace faulty cells/modules/hardware? Then check for electrical balance, etc?

Or does Tesla rebuild their reman packs with all new cells and hardware?

That you get from Tesla vs 3rd party vendor. Do both take faulty pack and keep good cells/modules/hardware? Then replace faulty cells/modules/hardware? Then check for electrical balance, etc?

Or does Tesla rebuild their reman packs with all new cells and hardware?

I assume all salvage what they can from your old pack.

Tesla reman packs are just that, reman. Not the same as new. They do not say exactly what they do

For the other vendors, 057 tech and Recell, check with them as to what they do in their process and what warranty they offer. I think you will find 057 has posted a great deal of info as to what they do on TMC, they would be my first choice.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
I'm 99% sure everyone is re-using old cells
If cells are good but other hardware is faulty, it gets replaced n u get same cells reman pack
If some cells are bad, they take out bad module or 2, so u go from 90/85kw pack to 75/70kw..
Not sure what happens with 75/70 packs if one or 2 are bad there.. maybe used for solar?...
Also, possibly bad 100kw pack makes 90/85kw 350v pack, just like tesla does with new replacement pack...
This is just my guess/observation based on all the readings here.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
I think the new ones for $15k - $20k are probably new, the remaining packs ( mostly packs still under warranty) are mostly non new, and only designed to replace the capacity of battery being replaced thru the end of the Tesla warranty. New ones have a long warranty from Tesla.

I think the new ones for $15k - $20k are probably new, the remaining packs ( mostly packs still under warranty) are mostly non new, and only designed to replace the capacity of battery being replaced thru the end of the Tesla warranty. New ones have a long warranty from Tesla.
Both reman and new Tesla packs come with a 4 year/50k miles warranty. I opted to get a new pack from Tesla. Well worth the extra $$ - 2022 material, up to 120 KW charging observed and 270 miles at 100% charge.

If the pack was replaced under warranty at no charge, it only has the remainder of the 8 year warranty period if any. I think if it is replaced the last month of the warranty period, it still has a meager 30 or 60 day warranty, but really no extension.. If you pay for the battery, it has 4 year/50000 mile warranty

• Informative
Reactions: zivac87 and Rocky_H
If the pack was replaced under warranty at no charge, it only has the remainder of the 8 year warranty period if any. I think if it is replaced the last month of the warranty period, it still has a meager 30 or 60 day warranty, but really no extension.. If you pay for the battery, it has 4 year/50000 mile warranty
You're right, thanks. From Tesla.