Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will your Model 3 look like?

Color + Wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all these new Model 3s on the streets in the next couple years, I want to put something together that will show us which will be the most common look (color/wheel combo). A simple vote is all we need!

PS- I know we can modify further but this is based off of what Tesla directly offers from their configurator.

The aero wheels don't look have bad with the Silver combo.
upload_2017-8-9_8-54-42.png

These results so far are more surprising than expected, I didn't expect so many votes for the aero wheels :D
I consider the aero wheels hideous but 19 inch wheels would be impractical where I live.

If the 18 inch versus 19 inch on the 3 is similar to the 19 inch versus 21 inch on the S, then Model 3 owners with the 19 inch wheels can expect much greater tire wear as well as more damage from potholes and curbs and a rougher ride. Whether any of that turns out to be true remains to be seen but higher profile tires are necessary where I live and the handling of the smaller Model S wheels on my mountain hairpin turns is very good (a supposed reason for the 21s).

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I consider the aero wheels hideous but 19 inch wheels would be impractical where I live.

If the 18 inch versus 19 inch on the 3 is similar to the 19 inch versus 21 inch on the S, then Model 3 owners with the 19 inch wheels can expect much greater tire wear as well as more damage from potholes and curbs and a rougher ride. Whether any of that turns out to be true remains to be seen but higher profile tires are necessary where I live and the handling of the smaller Model S wheels on my mountain hairpin turns is very good (a supposed reason for the 21s).

Wouldn't the 19" on the 3 be very much like the 19" on the S? I like my Model S 19" wheels, which is exactly why I plan to get 19" wheels on the Model 3.

Wouldn't the 19" on the 3 be very much like the 19" on the S? I like my Model S 19" wheels, which is exactly why I plan to get 19" wheels on the Model 3.
The 19" tire on the 3 are 235/40R19 and the 19" on the S are 245/45R19. This makes the sidewalls on the S about 1/2" taller than on the 3. Taller sidewalls typically translates to smoother ride.

Interesting results. Red is the only colour where sport wheels are more popular than aero - hehe, not surprised about that one. Interesting how nobody likes silver with sport wheels, only aero. I'm surprised how few people are going with black, the cheapest option - only 7,5%? Do people really find it that ugly? I'm perfectly content with it (and would pay extra for aero wheels, and would rather have even smaller ones!)

Colour and wheels are really the only physical options that I never second guess myself about :) I say no to the software options (autopilot), and turning down any future performance package will also be a no brainer for me. But I waver so much on PUP. I'll probably be getting dual motor (but am not 100% sure), and probably won't be getting the extra range (but not 100% sure), but PUP's really a 50-50. Some days I'm thinking it's a must have, and then the next day I think I'd be stupid to buy it.

The 19" tire on the 3 are 235/40R19 and the 19" on the S are 245/45R19. This makes the sidewalls on the S about 1/2" taller than on the 3. Taller sidewalls typically translates to smoother ride.

Per Tiresize.com, going to 245/45R19 will throw off the speedo. The recommended is 245/40R19. This retains the diameter closer to stock. Going with 245/45R19 will fill in the wheel well more.

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 62
I wish I could participate in the poll but I can't decide and it's killing me! Lol

The aero wheels to me don't look terrible and have definitely grown on me but those 19s are very nice. But we have a lot of pot holes and rough roads where I live so maybe 18s would be better...plus better ride quality. I really want to see the options in person. The wheel under the aero cover isn't bad either but needs a center cap or something to make it look less unfinished. I'm sure someone will come out with something.

As it stands right now though I'm leaning towards blue with 19s, followed by midnight silver with the aeros and then if I decide to save some money I may just get black with aeros. Everytime I think I'm sure what I want I see another picture and start second guessing myself. Ugh! First world problems!

Reactions: Justmurr
I wish I could participate in the poll but I can't decide and it's killing me! Lol

The aero wheels to me don't look terrible and have definitely grown on me but those 19s are very nice. But we have a lot of pot holes and rough roads where I live so maybe 18s would be better...plus better ride quality. I really want to see the options in person. The wheel under the aero cover isn't bad either but needs a center cap or something to make it look less unfinished. I'm sure someone will come out with something.

As it stands right now though I'm leaning towards blue with 19s, followed by midnight silver with the aeros and then if I decide to save some money I may just get black with aeros. Everytime I think I'm sure what I want I see another picture and start second guessing myself. Ugh! First world problems!

I think there are plenty of us in this same boat - I'm starting to sway form Red to Midnight Silver since I'm definitely getting aeros and standing strong to refuse the premium wheel upgrade (even though they are nice).
Midnight silver with those aeros is just better than with the Red but then if I remove the covers I'm back to the Red looking better...ugh right!

Per Tiresize.com, going to 245/45R19 will throw off the speedo. The recommended is 245/40R19. This retains the diameter closer to stock. Going with 245/45R19 will fill in the wheel well more.
I think you are missing the point. As @Zaphod pointed out, the 19 inch tires on the Model S are not the same as the ones on the 3, as some might be assuming. The 19s are the the low profile option for the 3 and the high profile option is the 18 inch wheel/tire.

On the S, the low profile tires have greatly increased wear — need to be replaced at lower mileage — and the wheels are much more subject to damage from potholes and curbs. Whether that will turn out to be the same for the 19 inch tires on the 3 remains to be seen. Nevertheless, for me it is an easy decision to stick with the 18s if I do decide to buy a 3.

Last edited:
I think you are missing the point. As @Zaphod pointed out, the 19 inch tires on the Model S are not the same as the ones on the 3, as some might be assuming. The 19s are the the low profile option for the 3 and the high profile option is the 18 inch wheel/tire.

On the S, the low profile tires have greatly increased wear — need to be replaced at lower mileage — and the wheels are much more subject to damage from potholes and curbs. Whether that will turn out to be the same for the 19 inch tires on the 3 remains to be seen. Nevertheless, for me it is an easy decision to stick with the 18s if I do decide to buy a 3.
Any time the tire sidewall gets shorter, the possibility of wheel and/or tire damage from potholes or other road hazards increase. So one can assume the 19" wheel option has that potential compared to the 18" standard wheels. It's just the nature of things. 40 sidewall ratio really isn't that bad though. I've had cars with 35 and 30 sidewall ratios and yes, one needs to be more careful but haven't had any issues.

The main reason the low profile tires on the S have increased wear is just due to tire choice. In that size, pretty much only thing is a summer/high performance tire which are softer rubber and low treadwear rating. The tire wear really doesn't have anything specifically to do with the tire size itself. If there are all-season tires in the 21" size for the S, I'm sure it would have much better tread life.

Here is example for the 21" tires for an S. Lowest treadwear rating is 220 and highest is 320. A good all-season tire, will have treadwear rating of probably 500. So about double wear life.
Tires

Last edited: