Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to get and get done before the car comes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I have done so far, car arrives in two weeks:

1. NEMA 14-50 all 3 garages, 22kW gas generator on whole house switch.

2. Dedicated garage UMC to mount on wall using the "UMC bracket" sold on TMC.

3. Chademo adapter for the municipal and Nissan stations.

4. J1772 lock from classifieds, prevents unauthorized disconnects.

5. The entire palette of Tesla adapters, Camco 30' NEMA 14-50extension cord, Conntek
adapters for a variety of situations, and large SockIt Box with Danger stickers to store
them and safely cover the connection in rainy weather. Dryer, welding, motel AC etc.

6. Not yet: BBS CH-R Pirelli Sottozero 102W winter setup vs. Tesla OEM if they ship home.
OEM specs require offset of 40mm.

7. The Law front license plate holder, Oh Ohio:(

8. Wireless door chime pedestrian alert system (doorbell, don't laugh) to put behind nosecone.

9. Lamin-X thin headlight, and thick puddle light protector, door/liftgate edge guards, and bumper protector film
(from my wife's floral trunk dragouts). Now if we only had warmer days in OH, silicone in cold is nasty to work with.

10. Not yet: Tesla OEM center console with micro-USB to power a wireless charging pad.

11. Free membership on PlugShare, ChargePoint, and Parkmobile.

12. Shop car insurance.

Last edited:
Tesla's UV-filtered windshields have proven to be less-than-ideal when using a windshield mounted EZ-Pass transponders. A more reliable solution for the Model S is to get the front plate transponder. If a front plate is not required in your state, velcro the transponder to the horizontal cross member located behind the nose cone. Your Tesla service center can do this for you in minutes. Just bring some 3/4-inch self-adhesive velcro with you. Two 6-inch strips should do it. If a front plate is required in your state, then attach the transponder to the top of your license plate. This will be much more reliable than the windshield transponder.

The new windshields have a section without the shielding. This is no longer an issue on new cars.

andrewket that is great to know. is the section above behind the rearview mirror like most others? possible to take a picture of the location?

There is also a section in the rear windshield, in the uppermost, passenger-side corner where this shielding must not be installed. If you take a look at the defroster elements, you'll notice that there are a few short out of place antennas, in this corner. That was the only location I found to reliably work in my MS.

Same in NC :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of doing this. Do explain!

You can buy a wireless doorbell and keep the button in the car, and the chime unit i the nose cone.
This is a reasonable pedestrian warning system. Personally I've been waiting for a reasonably priced
MP3 doorbell to be available, and I'd load something like the Jetson's "car" noise.

Covered in this thread: Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla - Page 9

Again, I haven't personally done it yet but I've been meaning to!

You can buy a wireless doorbell and keep the button in the car, and the chime unit i the nose cone.
This is a reasonable pedestrian warning system. Personally I've been waiting for a reasonably priced
MP3 doorbell to be available, and I'd load something like the Jetson's "car" noise.

Covered in this thread: Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla - Page 9

Again, I haven't personally done it yet but I've been meaning to!

Here is what I got, my car will be here in one week, will post about results, now looking for industrial
Renata or similar batteries:

Wireless Doorbell, [Improved Version] AVANTEK DT22 Portable Door Bell Kit, 52 Chime Tones, 1000 ft / 300 m Range [1 Push Button, 1 Plug-In Door Chime 1 Battery Powered Door Chime] - - Amazon.com

Last edited:
I think most people have gone with the front license plate transponders.
I had mine mounted behind my nosecone for a while however the only two times it didn't
work were in NYC, the place you never want it to fail.

Does FL have a front plate?

NO front plate - Thanks God. I hate to ruin that gorgeous front end with a plate! :)

For tolls, we have cameras now that take photos of our license plates - I've just added my 2 motorcycles to my account.
Looks like you forfeit the Sunpass 25% discount if you use toll by plate. Front bumper transponder behind the nose cone is the way to go.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/Toll_By_Plate_guide.pdf