Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nymox had a big run up after an article suggested they might be the next big breakout. Then quarterly results came out and they fell back down into more "normal" trading range of 6.50 to 7. Don't expect a more sustainable breakout until trials are over. My son-in-law is in this field and really high on this stock.

Just picked up a couple thousand shares of navb.

Nice! I am a complete fan of navb. I just wish there was better option coverage. Blake mentioned cree, and I really like the company but I've been burnt before by it- when it dropped from 66 to 30 two years ago I took a beating (i think i bailed at 55 luckily). They have a speculative high PE similar to tesla but they occasionally correct. The fall from 70+ to mid 50's this past month was a nice correction but I didn't want to jump in because of the possibility of a further correction. What are your thoughts on cree blake?

Anyone follow Cree close? I have been wanting to get in and was curious how much profit potential was behind the new TW bulb they made.

I follow them some what closely. The new house hold bulb they contracted with Home Depot is selling slow at the start here but i would expect to see it pick up early next year. It is the cheapest and best household solution on the market. Replacing the 5 most used bulbs in the house with them will see you break even in less then a year and then saving money for the rest of your life.

If your going to get into Cree, do it now. its already started its rebound from 53 and hit 60 two days ago. I have a price target of $80 in the next 1.5 years. (if not sooner if they get media attention with newer products) Also hoping their $100 street light bulb gets some love and the "green initiatives" the government always claims they are pushing pick up on it.

Cree is a very easy buy and hold play. LEDs are the future and they are in the forefront of the technology. I wouldnt suggest Options as Cree is a long term play that could take a bit more time to pick up steam. They are moving fast just because they are rebounding from the hit they took in Q2 Earning report. Even though i said $80 in a year and a half it could take longer.

Nutshell, your only going to make money on Cree over time as they have a future tech and they are the industry leaders. Its a no brainer play IMO.

It is still in the early stages, but does anyone have any preliminary thoughts on the potential twitter ipo? Is it a day one buy or is it better to wait and hope to get a better price, like what occurred with facebook during its first year?

I was thinking about this when reading Twitter's filed for an IPO, but don't have any clear thoughts formed. I'm going to be reading their S-1 when it comes out and any investor presentations (ie., IPO roadshow) they do.

I've heard that the higher facebook surge and linkedin surge will result in twitter's ipo being higher. I can't say that either of those factors adds valuation to twitter itself, neither means that twitter will make more money, yet both indicate you will pay more per share. I'd consider shorting, as I don't particularly think that the long term value of internet sites that don't have a direct stream of money coming from users is that great (specifically, they don't have the consumer paying them directly), since it is limited to advertisements and I think ultimately those revenues will plateau. Also, if it's just a website, it's easier to lose dominance.

I've heard that the higher facebook surge and linkedin surge will result in twitter's ipo being higher. I can't say that either of those factors adds valuation to twitter itself, neither means that twitter will make more money, yet both indicate you will pay more per share. I'd consider shorting, as I don't particularly think that the long term value of internet sites that don't have a direct stream of money coming from users is that great (specifically, they don't have the consumer paying them directly), since it is limited to advertisements and I think ultimately those revenues will plateau. Also, if it's just a website, it's easier to lose dominance.

I personally wouldn't recommend a long-term short position on Twitter. The reason being is that they've got some really good monetization people on their team, and they could keep increasing revenue for a long time (well, longer than one might expect) and they could possibly enter new areas as well (ie., Twitter released Vine and more recently acquiredMoPub, FB added Instagram, etc).

I look at it like this. Google has/had some of the best monetization minds around, and some of them eventually headed over to Facebook and LinkedIn, and have also headed over to Twitter. These guys are geniuses in business/monetization/ads/targeting/etc. As long as FB/LinkedIn/Twitter can keep improving their product and enter new areas (ie., keep increasing engagement), then their business/monetization team will be able to keep growing their revenue.

I was thinking about this when reading Twitter's filed for an IPO, but don't have any clear thoughts formed. I'm going to be reading their S-1 when it comes out and any investor presentations (ie., IPO roadshow) they do.

Dave,

did you follow the facebook ipo roadshow and did you end up investing in it? Seems like after a tumultuous year, facebook's stock is really beginning to take off. I ended up not buying due to the glitch on the ipo day, but it certainly has become interesting again over the last couple months. The only two ipos I have bought were google and MasterCard, but sadly I sold both way too soon. Will strongly consider the twitter ipo.

I personally wouldn't recommend a long-term short position on Twitter. The reason being is that they've got some really good monetization people on their team, and they could keep increasing revenue for a long time (well, longer than one might expect) and they could possibly enter new areas as well (ie., Twitter released Vine and more recently acquiredMoPub, FB added Instagram, etc).

I look at it like this. Google has/had some of the best monetization minds around, and some of them eventually headed over to Facebook and LinkedIn, and have also headed over to Twitter. These guys are geniuses in business/monetization/ads/targeting/etc. As long as FB/LinkedIn/Twitter can keep improving their product and enter new areas (ie., keep increasing engagement), then their business/monetization team will be able to keep growing their revenue.

Dave, I completely agree, I've learned my lesson watching shorts tackle a leader in tesla. I think when the stock is the best in its class, whether its cars, or tweeting, it's going to have a ridiculous value and it's going to be seen as a short target. However, it seems like over and over those shorts get disappointed because investors will stay with an industry leader as long as they are the leader, unlike the second best where they might bail faster.

Dave,

did you follow the facebook ipo roadshow and did you end up investing in it? Seems like after a tumultuous year, facebook's stock is really beginning to take off. I ended up not buying due to the glitch on the ipo day, but it certainly has become interesting again over the last couple months. The only two ipos I have bought were google and MasterCard, but sadly I sold both way too soon. Will strongly consider the twitter ipo.

I was looking to buy Facebook in the private secondary market about a year before they IPO'ed. But by then, a lot of the big gains were already realized by early investors. For example, several months prior to Facebook's IPO, they were already getting close to a $100b in market cap valuation on the private secondary market. I thought Facebook had potential but I wanted to be getting in at $10b (or even $20b maybe) valuation and ride it up to $100b+ for a 10x gain. But getting in at a $100b valuation doesn't leave me a ton of room for multiple return. I also followed their IPO (S-1, roadshow presentation, etc) and passed for the same reason I passed on the private secondary market.

Twitter does have me intrigued though.

I dipped my toe into 3D printing yesterday, bought Stratasys common at $92.50 and some calls, stock is down from ATH of $113, they announced a secondary & the news resulted in a 5.5% decline on huge volume.
SSYS: Summary for Stratasys, Ltd.- Yahoo! Finance

Lump,

I am also looking at the 3d printer sector, mainly ddd and ssys. Are you also invested in Ddd or just ssys? If only ssys, why did you choose it over ddd?

I like DDD as well & plan on buying it soon, but after analyzing & comparing them it came down to price action, DDD was down 4% for the week & SSYS was down 14%, simply betting on the hot stock that got crushed due to the secondary offering, hoping yesterdays action was a short term bottom, I will watch the sector closer now that i started a position.

So what is the concensus now on OCZ given the final NASDAQ extension and 10/17 deadline? They make a great product, but somewhat disconcerting that they have yet to find a buyer. Still holding a miniscule amount of lotto calls, but the clock is ticking...

Last edited: