Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He didn't explain it very well, but it's definitely a temporary power installation. I have seen a skid-mounted porta-potty and temp power pole before.

You're right, I didn't explain it well. This is the panel and set of outlets that the construction crews are using for their tools -- it definitely is powered.

Idea is to use it for charging overnight after everyone has gone home.

Wet blanket alert!

That contractor's temporary power panel is indeed a convenient source of 240V power for after-hours charging. The ethics of taking large amounts of power without permission from the contractor who is paying for it is another matter. Sounds like stealing to me.

Wet blanket alert!

That contractor's temporary power panel is indeed a convenient source of 240V power for after-hours charging. The ethics of taking large amounts of power without permission from the contractor who is paying for it is another matter. Sounds like stealing to me.

I think the construction is at the OP's house? And would be paying for all usage?

Wet blanket alert!

Did you read the original post? This outlet is from a temporary power pole set up in the poster's own house that is being remodeled. The OP is already paying for the electricity.

Did you read the original post? This outlet is from a temporary power pole set up in the poster's own house that is being remodeled. The OP is already paying for the electricity.

OP is living in a rental somewhere. If there had been power available from the OP's meter and house panel, the contractor would not have had to set up a temporary panel, so it doesn't appear that OP is paying.

I'm definitely paying for the power (the bill comes to me). I don't have a meter and house panel anymore because... there's no house. The line that used to go from the pole to my house now goes to this temporary panel.

Went by today and there's a double 50A breaker on the 240V outlet, plus two 20A breakers for the two 110V outlets on the other side of the panel. The service disconnect is a double 100A breaker.

Thanks for everyone's help figuring this out!

Whew, glad we got that resolved.LOL. Now that you opened the door to your new construction, do you need any advice on where and what kind of outlets to put in your garage? Or how about posting the address just in case anyone wants to get a free charge from a Porta Potty. LOL

Whew, glad we got that resolved.LOL. Now that you opened the door to your new construction, do you need any advice on where and what kind of outlets to put in your garage? Or how about posting the address just in case anyone wants to get a free charge from a Porta Potty. LOL

Definitely plan on putting in the HPWC in the new garage. Was thinking on the opposite of the charging port side, because that's where the main panel is going to be, but I'm open to suggestions there. It's just a single car garage.

House will also have solar.

Maybe I should do a local meetup for porta potty charging opportunities ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the "Pictures of your Model S Charging" thread will defintely need a pic of your car getting juiced up from a port-a-potty....

:biggrin:

Now THAT is a good idea. I will do that for sure, once the adapter arrives.

While we are waiting for the ultimate port-a-potty charging picture, here's the one time I used my CS6365 adapter to charge from a large commercial horse stable (Del Mar track actually). We had our horses in this row and when I looked up I couldn't believe that there was this CS6365 receptacle attached to the rafters. Well, I just had to test out my adapter!

CA-Plug.jpg

House will also have solar.

Sounds like a great plan to use solar. Will PG&E allow solar capacity greater than the previous 12 months' usage at the address? If not, ask how to apply for a variance.

SoCal Edison is sticky about that, but after they disapprove your plans as excessive, you can ask for a variance from the 12-month rule on the basis of additional load required for a new electric car.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm definitely paying for the power (the bill comes to me). I don't have a meter and house panel anymore because... there's no house. The line that used to go from the pole to my house now goes to this temporary panel.

Ah, that explains everything. Sorry for sounding snippy.

"…there's no house." Now that's quite a "remodel"! I'm guessing you are doing a "one corner" remodel where everything but a corner and parts of two walls gets demoed, so the project qualifies as a remodel for permitting purposes?

Sounds exciting.

While we are waiting for the ultimate port-a-potty charging picture, here's the one time I used my CS6365 adapter to charge from a large commercial horse stable (Del Mar track actually). We had our horses in this row and when I looked up I couldn't believe that there was this CS6365 receptacle attached to the rafters. Well, I just had to test out my adapter!

View attachment 88638

Sweet!

Was it a full 50A circuit?