Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I learned about the buying process from Ordering to Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The delivery process is been pretty confusing to me. I ordered a model 3 for my self and a model y for my wife. Tesla called and said they had a black model y just delivered (was supposed to be a showroom vehicle but Tesla has decided to sell them because of all the orders). They asked if we wanted it instead of the white one we ordered. Went and looked at is last Wednesday and said yes. Now today, still don’t have the vehicle and it’s paid for and insured…I’m extremely confused. They are saying they’re waiting on the temp tags? I’m not sure but this is so weird to me that it’s just been sitting there a week and we can’t pick it up. Had an appointment yesterday at 2 and they called and said tags weren’t ready, for sure today. Haven’t heard anything yet.

The delivery process is been pretty confusing to me.
My delivery slot was moved 2x after I confirmed a date and time, but each time they reached out to move it. If it's only a day or so just be sure to reach out if they don't so they know you're still waiting. Otherwise, hang in there, it should resolve itself before you know it.

Reactions: 3perf
So once I arrive the dealer, I assume they will try and have me sign papers and pay, etc etc. Can I inspect the car (at least the exterior) BEFORE signing anything? And then once I sign, that would be the "delivery" correct? After that I can stick around and inspect the car for however long I want, and report any interior or other issues that I may find for them to fix later? Do I have the gist down? Pickup is on Friday and just trying to be prepared

Can I inspect the car (at least the exterior) BEFORE signing anything?

When I picked mine up there was one delivery guy working with some other people, but when he saw us looking at the car, he unlocked it for us and let us sit in it while he finished up with them and got our paperwork ready. We had plenty of time to walk around it and check out the interior before signing anything. Other people who arrived after us were also allowed to sit in the car while waiting for the paperwork to sign.

I've read on here that not all delivery centers work the same way though.

I was able to schedule delivery today after I got the text. The earliest I could schedule was a week from today. If I received the text, does that mean the delivery location has received my car? If they have it I would assume I could pick it up much earlier!

I was able to schedule delivery today after I got the text. The earliest I could schedule was a week from today. If I received the text, does that mean the delivery location has received my car? If they have it I would assume I could pick it up much earlier!
Not sure but they could just have all of their appointments booked up. My first available pickup day was 3 days after the text. Maybe they need time to receive the car, inspect, wash, whatever else they need to do.

So once I arrive the dealer, I assume they will try and have me sign papers and pay, etc etc. Can I inspect the car (at least the exterior) BEFORE signing anything? And then once I sign, that would be the "delivery" correct? After that I can stick around and inspect the car for however long I want, and report any interior or other issues that I may find for them to fix later? Do I have the gist down? Pickup is on Friday and just trying to be prepared
My transactions were all paperless. One presses the "accept" button on the app. In my area, one has to accept before doing an internal inspection. I am lucky in that there was nothing to correct in any of my five transactions. My only complaint is that they could have been charged to 80% instead of 50-60%.

Now one vehicle had a damaged windshield that was discovered during a pre-inspection. I didn't claim the vehicle after it was ready and waited another three weeks for a different VIN.

They have received your vehicle and a pre-inspection is performed. If something doesn't meet "tolerance levels" you'll be notified. In the past, one had three days to pickup the vehicle. I see that has been extended to at least a week. Good for you....and Tesla.

They have received your vehicle and a pre-inspection is performed. If something doesn't meet "tolerance levels" you'll be notified. In the past, one had three days to pickup the vehicle. I see that has been extended to at least a week. Good for you....and Tesla.
can speak from current frustrations that you have a 3 day window to pick it up.

That poster I think meant the first day of his 3 day window starts in a week.

How do you decline the delivery of your vehicle but still want another vehicle? Do you tell the local person at the store?

What are the reasons that can be used to decline a vehicle?

Also, how many times can you decline the vehicle (eg what if the first 2 had major problems)?

How do you decline the delivery of your vehicle but still want another vehicle? Do you tell the local person at the store?

What are the reasons that can be used to decline a vehicle?

Also, how many times can you decline the vehicle (eg what if the first 2 had major problems)?
You'll get a text/phone call. At that time you can decline. I believe you can decline three times.