Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does your dash display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) energy (L), trips (R)
2) like brianman, I think it defaults to cabin temp but I've had it set to others before - basically I don't use it
3) map/nav (T), media (B)
1. Energy(L), Trips (R)
2. Temp usually, fan if running w/o A/C
3. Nav/Media
When you're "tight" on range during a trip with Nav on (and thus occupying the left), where do you look to watchdog energy consumption?

When you're "tight" on range during a trip with Nav on (and thus occupying the left), where do you look to watchdog energy consumption?

Energy consumption is on the left side of the instrument display. I *always* disable the nav display in the instrument panel and use the display on the main screen. In fact, I wish there was a way to turn off the automatic display of the route in the instrument panel.

I recently tried a new setup for 'long trip" mode... I swapped the media display into the right side of instrument panel, and substitute the "trip" display of the energy graph to the lower part of the main screen.

I have my car for a little over a year, and I cannot figure out how those blasted things work. So, my display shows nothing. I have dicked around with those little spinning wheels three times and for the life of me they make absolutely no sense whatsoever. And the owner's manual is no help either.

In fact, I have no idea what all those buttons are for that are at the 9 and 3 positions on the steering wheel, either.

Just sayin'...

I have my car for a little over a year, and I cannot figure out how those blasted things work. So, my display shows nothing. I have dicked around with those little spinning wheels three times and for the life of me they make absolutely no sense whatsoever. And the owner's manual is no help either.

In fact, I have no idea what all those buttons are for that are at the 9 and 3 positions on the steering wheel, either.

Just sayin'...

I agree it's not fully intuitive (often the case where singular buttons are "programmable" to serve multiple functions based on the user's preferences). However, once you figure out:
- the scroll wheel thingies do not just rotate, they can be pressed as well...
- there is a difference between a short press and a long press...
... you may actually find them to be very useful.

Why is the owners manual no help? What part is not clear? More details may help Tesla improve on it.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Media (L), Trips (R)
2) Climate - Fan Speed
3) Nav (full screen)

Last edited:
1. Media (left), Energy graph (right).
2. Screen brightness
3. Nav on top, Media on bottom. (I often toggle Nav to full screen, which is why I still have Media in the dash display... otherwise would have trip meters there.)

1. Trips (L) and Media (R)
2. Sunroof
3. (T) google maps (B) energy usage when I drive or backup camera when my wife drives

This ^ except I have trips and media reversed. Contrary to what someone else stated about not needing the trip meter up if you are navigating. While I appreciate the new trip meter in the energy usage page... it is a bit too cautious for my liking, so the trip meter really helps me keep track of how my average usage is going so I can plan/predict very quickly how my consumption is going. Back in the days before the car would tell you whether or not you would make it to your destination, I would use the battery meter, trip meter, and energy graph to very accurately drive to my destination with sub 10 miles remaining on road trips with absolutely no range anxiety. I will actually tend to cancel off the navigation display to go back to media since that is the less important information at times.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Left: Media, Right: Trips
2) Never use it, so it is in the "select the feature" mode, I think
3) Top: Camera, Bottom: Media / Nav

So far never seen the need to look at the energy graph.

Sadly, they did away with the "select feature mode" in a recent update... it may still be on that if you never selected anything after the update, but as soon as you pick something that will be permanently set into a specific feature, and to change it you have to hit the bottom button and select something else. I don't like this because I have a tendency to bump the button from time to time. The sunroof has become the least impactful option I can put there, and I like opening that with the wheel instead of going into the sub menu on the main display... so I guess that works. But I wish they would bring back the "select feature" mode.

Press and HOLD the scroll wheel on the respective side you want to change. When the menu pops up, scroll to the "app" you want showing up there and click the scroll wheel.
Thanks for the info, that worked great.
Now how do I change the fuel gauge in the center ?
It currently shows %remaining, but I see others are showing "rated miles" or "Projected miles"

bestmilage.jpg

Wow, that's beyond insane! I'm curious... being in Calgary, I'm assuming most of your driving is on the flatlands... highway speeds, city stop/go, or constants low speed highway driving? I could always squeeze out great mpg in my ICE, but my overall average is still a hair over 200 Wh/km. But I'm in a hilly part of the world and take advantage of pre-conditioning the car...

Still, I'm intrigued to know more about your driving habits to see what I could do better?

Also keep in mind that if you don't like or need the navigation directions on the left side pane of the dash you can still press and hold the left scroll wheel and go back to whatever else you might want while still navigating. You will still get little navigation popups when turns are required but you don't have to look at the navigation pane the whole time you are navigating. I find this useful when on long trips and I don't need the navigation information up on the left pane while traversing hundreds of miles of straight forward interstate.

Very helpful. I will try this later today...

meantime:

1. Media (L) and Trips (R)
2. Sunroof
3. (T) google maps (B) Media

but tonight I will try:

1. Energy (L) and Trips (R)
2. Sunroof
3. (T) google maps (B) Media

Suspect that in the fall/winter 2. will be changed to something else.. most likely fan speed.

PS.. i hate the climate controls in the Model S. why can't it give me 70 F when I ask for 70 F????

Wow, that's beyond insane! I'm curious... being in Calgary, I'm assuming most of your driving is on the flatlands... highway speeds, city stop/go, or constants low speed highway driving? I could always squeeze out great mpg in my ICE, but my overall average is still a hair over 200 Wh/km. But I'm in a hilly part of the world and take advantage of pre-conditioning the car...

Still, I'm intrigued to know more about your driving habits to see what I could do better?

Just drive how the hand book tells you to, ive noticed when others are driving they are ALWAYS flooring the car and not even noticing it or going fast and slow, fast and slow.
When you accelerate, set off how the driving instructor tells you too (like in a corolla), just smooth, not slow not fast.
Going fast in Calgary i find is useless, there are way too many lights and the second you stop you loose every single second you gained from speeding.

i have range mode on and have HVAC always off (simply because its always a comfortable temp for me, im good if its 10C - 35C)
Calgary is all hills up and down, going to work i get around 103-106 Wh/km (like you see above)
going back home i get around ~170 Wh/km so it averages out to about 145-155Wh/km (depending on traffic)
the 182 Wh/km includes winter driving and all the test drives ive given out to experience the 0-60 of the vehicle :)

if i just went to work and back and didnt have to make any detours or pick anyone up. I can crack 148 Wh/km round trip reliably just by following the speed limit (nobody follows the limit in Calgary so sometimes its not possible)

Just drive how the hand book tells you to, ive noticed when others are driving they are ALWAYS flooring the car and not even noticing it or going fast and slow, fast and slow.
When you accelerate, set off how the driving instructor tells you too (like in a corolla), just smooth, not slow not fast.
Going fast in Calgary i find is useless, there are way too many lights and the second you stop you loose every single second you gained from speeding.

i have range mode on and have HVAC always off (simply because its always a comfortable temp for me, im good if its 10C - 35C)
Calgary is all hills up and down, going to work i get around 103-106 Wh/km (like you see above)
going back home i get around ~170 Wh/km so it averages out to about 145-155Wh/km (depending on traffic)
the 182 Wh/km includes winter driving and all the test drives ive given out to experience the 0-60 of the vehicle :)

if i just went to work and back and didnt have to make any detours or pick anyone up. I can crack 148 Wh/km round trip reliably just by following the speed limit (nobody follows the limit in Calgary so sometimes its not possible)
Perhaps it's more about longer runs at moderate speeds. I'm either in the city, stop and go, or out on the highway doing 100 - 130 for long distance. And I do use the HVAC. I'm getting better about going easier off of the lights, but it's just so effortless! I managed 170 Wh/km on a 240 km highway run today at about an average of 105 km/h. HVAC was on (39 degrees with full sun is too much for me... ;-) )

It seems to me that quick off the start with electric doesn't incur as great an energy penalty as in an ICE though...