Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you expect from the new government? EV-Related only!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm conflicted on this one. On the one hand, I'd like to see private enterprise putting up chargers; while I'm dubious about the viability of the charging business--that is, I'm not sure ChargePoint et al will survive long-term as demonstrated by the previous failures of various charging companies--I think there is a market for a group of merchants to install a charger as a way to lure potential customers into the merchants neighborhood. On the other hand, S'toon is right private enterprise won't step in until it's fairly certain that chargers can somehow be viable, either on their own or in drawing in enough customers to a neighborhood to justify the neighborhood/merchants investing the money for the charger. The fact that Tesla is having to build out its own charging network rather demonstrates that most other businesses don't see the value, at least not yet. Yes, Tesla is a private enterprise, but it can only do so much (228 superchargers in North America to date). So, perhaps having gov't install chargers in gov't lots is one way of "accelerating the transition to sustainable transport", to borrow a phrase, since what we really need to relieve people's range anxiety is LOTS of chargers.

Rather than speculate or dream, you could take a look at what the platform says, including:

"Canada can be the world’s most competitive tax jurisdiction for investments in the research, development, and manufacturing of clean technology. We will consult on ways to enhance the scientific research and experimental development tax credit – in conjunction with other tax measures – to generate more clean technology investment. We will start by adding electricity storage technologies and electrical car charging stations to the list of investments that are eligible for accelerated capital cost allowance. We will proactively work with provinces and firms to fight for every dollar of global investment, and will bring more clean technology companies and investment to Canada."

Enriched income tax deductions for EV charging stations will reduce their after tax cost for Tesla Motors and other corporations (hotels, restaurants, malls).

Sounds like a bunch of fluff to me. The only thing of substance is the accelerated capital cost allowance for charging stations. In my view, that will have very little, if any, impact in promoting the adoption of EV's. I really loath the parts about "consult on ways" and "fight for every dollar of investment". In other words, more taxpayer's money wasted on bureaucrats rather than source funding.

Personally I prefer the incentive from the government to be on the initial cost of the vehicle rather than for charging stations. Having lots of Level 2 charging stations all over the place is not going to change my propensity to buy a Tesla or other long range EV, but a cash rebate will.

But the availability of destination charging is much more of an issue for shorter range EVs like Volt, Leaf, etc. where folks may need to charge at their place of work to be able to make it home. For my Tesla my charging is (roughly) 98% at home, 4.5% at SCs and 0.5% at public non-SC stations (and primarily because it gets me a preferred parking spot rather than actually needing the electrons).

Personally I prefer the incentive from the government to be on the initial cost of the vehicle rather than for charging stations. Having lots of Level 2 charging stations all over the place is not going to change my propensity to buy a Tesla or other long range EV, but a cash rebate will.

Agree 100%!

Norway:

"The Norwegian system works, Ms. Bu said, because “it’s constructed to make the least-polluting cars the most attractive.”"

"At the Moller Bil Ryen Volkswagen dealership in Oslo, a standard diesel Golf retails for about 330,000 Norwegian kroner, or about $40,000. After tax breaks, a comparably equipped version of its electric cousin, the e-Golf, sells for 250,000 kroner, or just under $31,000."

Achieve this in Canada, and EV adoption rate will skyrocket immediately.

From New York Times article here:

New york times-ev incentives

Please email article to your MP now...Policy is being crafted now in advance of the UN Climate Change Summit Nov. 30th.

This just in...great news...amazing...

"The prime minister designate has already invited Green Leader Elizabeth May to be part of the Canadian delegation to the United Nations summit on climate change in Paris at the end of next month.
And he intends to invite NDP Leader Tom Mulcair and whomever is leading the Conservative party — be it Stephen Harper or an interim leader — as well, along with various non-governmental organizations and environmentalists, insiders say.
The premiers of all the provinces and territories that aren’t facing an election this fall have also agreed to accompany Trudeau."

Trudeau invites Elizabeth May, other party leaders to Paris climate change summit | National Post

Last edited:
"The prime minister designate has already invited Green Leader Elizabeth May to be part of the Canadian delegation to the United Nations summit on climate change in Paris at the end of next month.
And he intends to invite NDP Leader Tom Mulcair and whomever is leading the Conservative party — be it Stephen Harper or an interim leader — as well, along with various non-governmental organizations and environmentalists, insiders say.
The premiers of all the provinces and territories that aren’t facing an election this fall have also agreed to accompany Trudeau."

Trudeau invites Elizabeth May, other party leaders to Paris climate change summit | National Post

I am all for these summits and a big supporter for slowing climate change but at the same time I look at this and wish just Trudeau and his delegation went and the funds that it will cost the Federal government to bring everyone else should be used towards a federal EV rebate. This is really just an expensive taxpayer funded holiday for anyone but Trudeau.

There is no way the Norwegian model would fly in North American as it would mean enormous tariffs on existing luxury vehicles. That would be extremely unpopular with the bulk of the electorate. And Norway is one of the most expensive places in the world to buy gasoline - the current price is US$1.76/L vs US$0.89/L in Canada. Any politician saying they are going to significantly increase the tax on gasoline is going to get crucified - it happened to Joe Clark a generation ago.

There is no way the Norwegian model would fly in North American as it would mean enormous tariffs on existing luxury vehicles. That would be extremely unpopular with the bulk of the electorate. And Norway is one of the most expensive places in the world to buy gasoline - the current price is US$1.76/L vs US$0.89/L in Canada. Any politician saying they are going to significantly increase the tax on gasoline is going to get crucified - it happened to Joe Clark a generation ago.
You are complicating things. Look back a couple of posts.

EV rebates, off invoice, to make EV same price or cheaper then ICE equivalent...this is why Norway works...EV cheaper then ICE. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as this is the result.

Important:Keep it simple.

Start immediately. Begin phase out in around 2020, with flexibility, depending on market response.

Last edited: