Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Charging Methods Minimize Degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would lifestyle come into play? I subscribe to the 90% charge every day at whatever comes out of the plug. I never know what my day holds, and therefore, like to have the full charge at all times. This is largely dictated by the fact there are currently no superchargers within my area (as of now). I suppose it's a matter of choice.
In the solar world (off-grid or grid-interactive), charging should be varied one every month or so to balance the cells. I use AGM batteries which have mixed thoughts about a normal float versus an occasional equalization charge. Would the occasional varying of charge voltages have a positive impact on a lithium-ion pack?

Would lifestyle come into play? I subscribe to the 90% charge every day at whatever comes out of the plug. I never know what my day holds, and therefore, like to have the full charge at all times. This is largely dictated by the fact there are currently no superchargers within my area (as of now). I suppose it's a matter of choice.
In the solar world (off-grid or grid-interactive), charging should be varied one every month or so to balance the cells. I use AGM batteries which have mixed thoughts about a normal float versus an occasional equalization charge. Would the occasional varying of charge voltages have a positive impact on a lithium-ion pack?
Does your AGM manufacture OK equalization charging? That's a no-no for AGM's or gel's, as far as I know. Everything I've seen says you will permanently damage them (since you can't replace the water lost during an equalization charge.

Does your AGM manufacture OK equalization charging? That's a no-no for AGM's or gel's, as far as I know. Everything I've seen says you will permanently damage them (since you can't replace the water lost during an equalization charge.

Some data to mull over...

Inverter/Charger
- product page
Outback Power Inc. - Radian Series GS8048A / GS4048A
- operator's manual
http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/radian_8048a_4048a/gsa_oper_rev_a_es.pdf
page 33 said:
Equalization

Equalization is a controlled overcharge that is part of regular battery maintenance. Equalization brings the batteries to a much higher voltage than usual and maintains this high voltage for a period of time. This has the result of removing inert compounds from the battery plates, and reducing stratification in the electrolyte.

Equalization follows the same pattern as standard three-stage charging, as shown in the figures on page 28. However, instead of the Absorption voltage and time set points, it is controlled by the Equalize Voltage and Equalize Time settings in the MATE3.

The Radian inverter can perform Offset when equalizing. (See page 35.) Equalize Voltage is also the reference voltage for Offset during equalization.

This process must be started manually using the system display. The inverter cannot be programmed for automatic battery equalization. This is a safety measure.

Equalization is normally performed only on flooded lead-acid batteries. The schedule for equalization varies with battery use and type, but it is usually performed every few months. If performed correctly, this process can extend battery life by a considerable amount.

Equalization is not normally performed on nickel-technology batteries or any sort of sealed battery.

EnergyCell RE
- product page
Outback Power Inc. - Energy Storage EnergyCell RE
- owner's manual
http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/energycell_re/energycell_manual_rev_d.pdf
EnergyCell RE (all models)
Battery Technology : Absorbed glass-mat (AGM)[/QUOTE]
Oddly, there's no mention of equalization in the manual -- seems like they should have included a "don't do it" warning at least.
- spec sheet
http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/energycell_re/energycellre_specsheet.pdf
page 1 said:
Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) technology provides for efficient gas
recombination of up to 99% and freedom from electrolyte maintenance.

This seems to agree with what tga is saying, just not as explicitly as I would like.

In short, when marrying OutBack Power's Inverter/Charger with EnergyCell RE the "Equalization" feature of the former should probably not be used. At least that's my interpretation.

Off Topic: The previous post inspired me to compliment all our fellow forum members for whom English is a second language. The Tesla community is growing quickly in non-English speaking countries, and the participation in these forums and fluency in English are both fantastic. I admire anyone who can communicate well in multiple languages, mostly because my own attainment of that goal is limited (a bit of French and German, but certainly not fluent). So, my compliments to all those who already participate and a voice of encouragement to those who may otherwise be too shy - we are truly a global community now!

As do I. I do not have the talent at all and admire those who do. I also love hearing a non USA POV. A lot.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the same boat and need to have spare capacity just in case.

But on the daily charging vs not: Tesla encourages keeping the Model S plugged in whenever not in use in order to reduce drain on main pack and for conditioning (I think). That would mean daily, I would assume. Lastly, since the battery is warranted for 8 yrs/unlimited miles, I am not going to worry about it. I am a long-term car-keeper. But I expect 8 years is about the useful life of this new tech. At least I hope she lasts that long.

I have an HPWC with 80 Amp capacity. I set the current limit to 56 Amps. That cuts the resistive power in the wires, and each of the dual chargers, in half. 56 Amps is the geometric mean of 40 and 80 Amps and good compromise. Also, it uses both chargers, testing both each charge so that you know they both work.

Thanks@Cottonwood. Since you first posted this several months ago I've adopted 56A as well. Keeps my charge cord/plug and HPWC comfortably warm (never hot) and I like the idea of running my dual chargers at lower current but in tandem. Works good for me!