Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What camper will you tow with your CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought from the beginning that it would be nice to get a metal truck and compliment that with a metal trailer, out there in the sun with the paint never pealing, initially that made me think of the Airstreams, anything from a tiny Basecamp all the way up to the giant Classic 30 footer. There are no cheap trailers from this manufacturer.

And they are so heavy and maybe it would make more sense to get something lightweight and even more aerodynamic, so I turned to the Alto by Safari Condo with its retractable roof and giant windows when it's expanded, that's a nice vehicle, kinda pricy for what you get with bathroom doors only 3 feet high, but still a great tow vehicle that won't eat my battery.

But now the Light Ship is busting on the scene, also collapses so it has less wind resistance, same flat surfaces as the CT, lots of windows (too many really) and despite all the press I don't see the appeal. At least you can close the bathroom door and have some privacy. I saw it in person today at Electrify Expo 2023 SF and was not impressed.

But you know what they had there that DID impress me? (I have been following these guys for some time):

1687670586695.png

Living Vehicle LT: Luxury Solar Electric Travel Trailer

Fold out balcony, giant fold out solar array and matching battery along with all electric appliances including a washer dryer and a 5 gal/day water generator, enough power to live off grid and still charge your CT.

This is a great retirement option that is built so well your grandkids will be using it when they retire. Holy smokes, even the wife loved loved loved it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
This looks like an advertisement. Are you a marketing department?
I hope they have better marketing, I did meet one of the designers while in line to see inside, perhaps his enthusiasm is infectious. Perhaps it was just how excited my wife was that got me talking about it.

It's almost a Tiny House but MUCH more towable. Towing it would be the most battery eating of all the metal trailers I mentioned above but you don't need to go as far due to the crazy number of solar panels, there are two layers and the top layer slides out to act as awnings for the sides of the RV when parked. You can stop anywhere as you never need to plug in and with 100 gallons of water on board only rarely need to dump.

But it is extremely expensive

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
That should work, only make sure you don't fill your water tanks or you'll go over your tow rating with that onboard. Perhaps you could mount it ON the CyberTruck, I've seen people build racks for such vehicles on their trucks.

But really, why are you bringing a 4x4 with 16" clearance with you when you are towing with a vehicle that has that too? Roll down the armor glass windows and you can experience the same off roading that Polaris will give you.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Are you RVing or camping? There is a difference. What battery are you getting in the CT? The Alto is about as good as it gets for light weight camping for 2 maybe 4?? My parents have 42k miles on their Alto. Great purchase.

But the Alto doesn’t match the cyber truck image. If that matters. At any rate I’d be choosing and willing to spend extra for light weight aerodynamic camper. Self propelled is interesting but it will be out of my price range.

I bought a Bowlus Road Chief to tow with my Cybertruck. Might have been a bit premature, I had no idea I was going to be waiting so long for that truck, but I did want to get it before a price increase on what is already a very expensive trailer. Yes I can tow it with my MX but it will be easier with the Cybertruck.

Attachments

• Tesla ready to tow Nomad (1), Rusty's RV Ranch, cropped, Oct 19 2020.JPG
    Tesla ready to tow Nomad (1), Rusty's RV Ranch, cropped, Oct 19 2020.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 70
Did you see the size and rating of the air conditioner on the LS? I am looking to replace the unit on my airstream and am amazed to find that no one has produced a high-efficiency AC unit for RVs. The original is 8 SEER and the only so-called high efficiency I could find just raises it to 12. In AZ this is the #1 load when off-grid camping so I really hope they have a 20 SEER or better.

Wow! "A21 SERIES (FIXED ROOF)", I had not been exploring around their website since that was introduced, didn't know they made it. Looks nice and planar like the CyberTruck. Didn't see any Air Conditioning

"Designed to optimize the aerodynamics of a caravan [...] combined with the lightness of this range of trailers, the A2124 is the most economical to tow in the industry. Safari Condo is driven by a desire to offer products that reduce fossil fuel consumption, and the Alto A2124 was designed with a future in mind that will include more and more electric cars."

Last edited:
Our 2017 X is rated at about 300wh/mi, but we never see that. I think our lifetime average (before towing) was about 365wh/mi.

When towing, we've seen anything from 500wh/mi (good weather, sticking to 55mph) to 600wh/mi (cold, rainy, averaging 60 or so). So if you want to look at worst case, it's cut our rated range in half. But if you want to look at best case, sometimes when we're careful it's only a 37% hit to our real-world non-towing range. (Though of course you can't count on that, and it's partly because we're driving slower when towing so not a good comparison).

Reactions: JohnB007