Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What battery cells are in the 2023 M3 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been digging into this myself, as I have a 2023 LR and was wondering why it struggles to reach 250 kW. A bit disappointing that I didn’t know of this beforehand, but not the biggest deal. I am interested to see how the LG cells pan out in the US. There will come a time where we will need replacement modules, so hopefully there will be plenty of packs to pull from. Are there any other physical differences in the LG packs compared to the US Panasonic?
The LG NCMA packs can not deliver same power as the Panasonic NCA.

For charging, they are slower.

You can only reach 250kW if starting at practically Zero and then only nudge 250, after that the drop comes asap.
Picture from teslalogger Model Y made in Germany, to get LG NCMA only

IMG_5944.jpeg

For comparison Panasonic 77.8 kWh, first gen model 3 which charges fastest:
IMG_5945.jpeg

Why would they choose to do this with a single model but not the rest of them, which remain as unrealistic as they’ve ever been?

Leaving the Model Y LR with a 330 mile EPA rating but changing the Model 3 LR to 333 makes zero sense if the battery packs are really the same.

Curious what you think is far reaching about that? Tesla needs every cell they can get, from every source. They’ve already proven success with this model by importing Chinese LFP cells for the Model 3 RWD. Makes perfect sense given the evidence at hand.
I'd guess the difference in range is due to the weight difference.

After reading this entire thread (very informative), looks like the current M3P (which I'm considering) comes with the Pana NCA 82.1kWh pack. My question is if a regular LR had that battery pack, according to the comment above, it'd have 350+ range. So what is different about the P that lowers the range that much (350+ to 315)? I thought the motors were the same, and the only change came from the wheels/tires. But seems like it's more than that, no? Maybe the motors (or one of them) is different. Hopefully somebody knows. Thank you.

After reading this entire thread (very informative), looks like the current M3P (which I'm considering) comes with the Pana NCA 82.1kWh pack. My question is if a regular LR had that battery pack, according to the comment above, it'd have 350+ range. So what is different about the P that lowers the range that much (350+ to 315)? I thought the motors were the same, and the only change came from the wheels/tires. But seems like it's more than that, no? Maybe the motors (or one of them) is different. Hopefully somebody knows. Thank you.
The P has a stronger rear motor.
Earlier on they had the same but the LR did get a motor with weaker inverter (cost sabings,mostly).

The range difference is for the bigger part the larger wheels.

The wheels and tires alone could account for the difference. 315 miles is 90% of 350 miles. Remember, the 350+ miles was only with the 18” wheels and efficient Primacy tires.

I put 18” wheels and ultra efficient Hankook iON EVO AS tires on my 2022 Model 3 Performance with the Panasonic battery. I am pretty sure I can match a LR efficiency with my car now.

Most if not all of the LR cars with the Panasonic battery will have the 990 motor instead of the 980 motor. However, I don’t think that will make a tremendous difference in efficiency like the wheels and tires can.

IMG_0301.jpeg

Reactions: AAKEE and DrChaos