Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What adapter if I want to use a 40 amp breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Garage/ work shop sub panel is fed by a 60 amp double pole breaker. Given I use my work shop I only want to put in a 40 or 30 amp breaker for charging. While Tesla shows that a 40 amp breaker charge rate is 30mph, there is no adapter assigned to a 40 amp breaker. A 30 amp double pole breaker is associated with NEMA 14-30 and charges at 22mph.
Is it the case that if you use a 50 amp or 40 amp dbl-pole breaker you simply use the NEMA 14-50 adapter? Note will only have a mobile adapter.

I anticipate having to ensure that I NEVER use my 220 machinery when charging the Tesla.

I wonder about that. What is the largest breaker used for your tools ?
OR
You can look up the motor in the NEC, or just ballpark by multiplying the power draw X6 to get an idea of locked rotor load. The power draw is the rated HP divided by the PF.

1 HP is 745 watts, and presuming single phase power supply at 240v, 3.1 Amps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
20amp breaker 3hp table saw so 9.3 amp draw.

Without knowing specifics of the table saw motor, this is a guessing game.
A single phase, AC motor by Table 430.248 says full load current (FLA) for a 3 HP motor is 17Amps. Depending on the type of breaker you are using, it would be sized to a maximum of (175 - 300%) of the FLA.

Do you care ? Probably not. If the manufacturer said to use a 20A breaker you are good; if you have been using the tool without tripping, well - probably good enough. Since your sub-panel has a 60A feeder and any one tool is doing OK with a 20 Amp breaker, you are on safe ground putting a 40A breaker on your EVSE branch circuit.

A 40A breaker for the EVSE limits you to 32A load -- the maximum your Tesla mobile EVSE with a 14-50 pigtail is going to pull no matter what.

Are those the only two loads your sub-panel will ever have concurrently ? Then a 40A breaker for the EVSE is fine.
If you might add other concurrent loads -- a heat pump to cool the room, e.g., then think about putting in a 30A breaker for a 14-30 receptacle. Then you will have some room for three concurrent loads.

---
As an aside, if the feeder to your sub-panel is #4 AWG Cu in conduit, it is rated for 85A. #6 AWG Cu in conduit is rated for 65A. Feeders can be sized to carry 83% of the calculated load

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0