Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well the impatiently, patient wait begins...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were definitely in the ballpark of KBB value on mine. And I was in and out with a check in hand in less than an hour. I don't know about you, but my time is worth way too much to me to mess with selling it myself.
Absolutely....Could not agree more. They gave me KBB value and in/out in about an hour. Tried to sell back to dealers I purchsed the cars from and they were consistently 10-15% less than CarMax. As you said....Hassle zmd time waste selling privately

Yeah, thanks for all the feedback everyone.

byrenz, I guess I'll be seeing you in Fairfield since that's the closest Carmax to us. Or is there one closer? I'm in the East Bay also, Hayward to be exact, 15 miles form the Tesla plant. I just confirmed my 85 order about 2 hours ago and will try to make it to Carmax sometime this week.

Dealing with my car I just bought brand new last year is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger for the last week. I have everything lined up, MS configuration, financing, quote from AutoNation (which I don't like), etc, the "Order" button is calling my name. I just want to know what my options are with the trade-in and minimize the depreciation hit. I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling private party. Thanks.
I'm right there with you tryfekid! I bought a brand new Lexus GX in January 2013. It was a tough sell to the wife as to why I was even entertaining the idea of a Tesla. I rationalized it (slightly) that I got a decent out-the-door price on my car....and compared to what Autonation quoted me...I really am not taking a gigantic hit. I'm really just driving off that value of the monthly payments had I leased it. Sure it's not the most financially sound math in the world....but it ends with me driving a new Tesla! I figured I already drove a year and a half of prime negative equity off of my new car...so I better hurry up and sell it before I drive off any more. Ha!
FWIW, I also did not love the Autonation quote. I sold my previous car (MDX) to Carmax, and received a fair trade-in price. I plan on doing the same when I pick up my MS. The Carmax in Raleigh is only a 5 minutes from the Tesla Service Center. Others have confirmed that it's not a big deal at all to have the Tesla folks pick me up at Carmax. If Autonation wants to match the Carmax price...then great. It'll save me a five minute drive.
Definitely not planning on listing it privately though. Don't want the hassle.
My little bundle of joy is due for delivery in late June. S85......tic toc, tic toc.

ajw, everyone around me thinks I'm crazy for selling a vehicle thats barely a year old. But I tell them that this is an exception, because it's for a Tesla. My wife will get a kick out of this thread.

To share my similar experience: I had to do a cost breakdown and present it to the wifey using Excel spreadsheets and Power Point slides to convince her that the Model S isn't much more cost than my current vehicle. Of course, I'm exaggerating but it sure seems like that's what I had to do. I took out a 7 year loan @ 1.75% on my current vehicle, so if I'm going to suffer paying another 6 years of payments, it might as well be for a MS.

I also used your rationalization and treat it as a lease. I also got a good OTD price and all I want is for Auto Nation, or whoever, to pay off the loan. Since I am paying a 7 year amortized payment instead of a 5, I figured, my loan balance would still be high so it'd be hard to get the loan paid off. So I look at this way, if I were paying a 5 year loan, Auto Nation's offer would almost hit the mark. But still I could try to minimize the loss, so I'll give Carmax a shot. I'm sure there are flaws in my logic, but whatever, it is what it is and it is for a Tesla. I'm definitely not selling private party, been there done that, flakers, last minute deal breakers, hagglers, etc... not worth my time.

I too am receiving my 4th child at the end of June. I just took a road trip to Reno with my SUV (normally we use my wife's Odyssey) for one last hoorah before we part ways.

Tryfekid,
Great minds think alike I suppose. Lol.
i get the same reaction from the very few people I've let know my about my secret car purchase. 'Are you serious? Wait, didn't you just buy a new car?'
ha. I hear it...and they are right. But hey..like you said...it's for a tesla. I wouldn't do this for any other car.
i use the same fuzzy logic on the price....it really only costs about 40 k more than my current car....40k for a new tesla sounds like a good deal to me! Would I pay 40k to swap my almost new lexus for a tesla? You bet.
the jump seats also help me sell the 'family' vibe.
Ha...my wife puts up with a lot of crap.

on a side note...since we are both due for late June delivery. I just realized if I delayed about a week on finalizing...I wouldn't be due for delivery until September...geez. I can't imagine. We made it in just under the wire.

Still 2 1/2 weeks left and officially, today, all is done. Financing, insurance, and today's 14-50 install...

uvyjeseq.jpg