Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weekly capacity at Fremont will be at least 2,500 after upgrade of Body Line in 2015.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sRGB 24 bit true color? Enter your six digit hex color code, choose metallic or not, 33.4 million choices?

With newer technology, it's probably doable, and would certainly be quite the competitive advantage. Though it might make the ordering decision process harder... :)

Nah, RGB wouldn't work, or at the very least wouldn't work without being converted first. Paint colours are subtractive, not additive, so you need to use Magenta, Yellow and Cyan, like a printer.

After having listened to Elon Musk, JB Straubel and Deepak Ahuja on the Conference Call yesterday, I have to conclude the following:

There is only one Assembly line, and this Assembly Line has now been upgraded (more efficient, more automation, resulting in a higher production capacity per week). Production will start again on August 4th, 2014. The Body Line will be upgraded in Q1 2015.

In reply to Ben Kallo with Robert W. Baird: "Regarding the production (capacity) increase to a level of 100,000 unit a year, by the end of next year. Some other step to get you to that level?"

Elon Musk: "Well, there is a big step that´s expected to occur in Q1 next year (2015). Which is the bring up of the S/X Body Line. So, what we did in the past two weeks is the Assembly Line, where it´s basically that the bits get put together. But then the Body Line is where the body itself is welded and bonded together, where in fact the core skeleton of the car is created ..... We are gonna bring the Body Line up in parrallel with the current Line. Unlike this case with the Assembly (Line), we didn´t have two complete Assembly Lines, we had to stop and retool. In the case of the new S/X Body Line, which is a line that has been designed to be capable of 2,500 units a week, maybe more than that. Conservatively 2,500 units a week. At a lower cost point. We should be able to do that in parrallel (Model S + Model X). Another really big upgrade is the Paint Shop. There are a few cases where advanced CapEx spending makes sense even though it's gonna pay of in two to three years. But it's such a big improvement that you kinda wanna do it, even at a high discount rate. Our Paint Shop is being upgraded and it's gonna be the most advanced Automotive Paint Shop in the world. It's expensive to do that."

My question now is: "Can we assume/conclude that the Tesla Fremont Factory will have a production capacity of at least 2,500 cars a week (Model S + Model X), by the end of Q1 2015?

Please post your comments/arguments both if you agree or disagree with this assumption/conclusion.

Thanks

How likely is it that the current weekly production rate is very close to 1,000 per week?

How likely is it that the current weekly production rate is very close to 1,000 per week?

I was pondering this question since the appearance of the reports that factory is operating on weekends, with at least Saturday operating in two shifts. My conclusion is that factory is currently probably producing at about 960 or so cars per week.

Here is my reasoning.

The factory was slow to ramp up new line with 2500 cars/week two shift capacity to the pre-upgrade level of about 800 cars/week. The new line, as discussed by Elon during the ER is more efficient in organization of the work flow and better automated, so it is reasonable to assume that it required some adjustments to the programming to achieve as designed output in terms of quality at certain production rate. This is likely an iterative process of doing the adjustments and verifying that they result in line producing desired quality product at the required production rate, and then repeating the cycle again as required, while gradually increasing the production rate.

Once all of the deficiencies are rectified, the production rate can be gradually increased, while additional wrinkles in production line are ironed out along the way. This process is likely completed now, as it would make no sense to increase production by adding Saturday shifts/Volunteer Sunday unless the desired quality is not achieved yet. Elon discussed and practiced this type of approach in the past, and it will be unreasonable to assume that it would change now.

The thing to consider now, is that since new assembly line is designed for two shift operation at 2500 cars/week, with the reduced work-hours per car, it does not require additional shifts beyond 10 shifts/week to increase it's production beyond the pre-upgrade 800 cars/week.

As was mentioned by Elon during the ER, the body-in-white line and paint shop, however, needed to be upgraded in order to take production up to slated 1000 cars/week. Based on this and prior reports on the production capacity, these lines/areas can be currently operated at as designed two shift capacity of 800 cars/week.

Based on the above, the Saturday/volunteer Sunday operation is required and planned for at least body-in-white line and paint shop, and possibly other areas, in order to enable main assembly line to exceed two shift production rate of 800 cars/week. This operation (or addition of the third shift) will be required until the two body-in-white line and the paint shop are upgraded some time in the Q1/2015.

In conclusion, I take Saturday/volunteer Sunday operation as an indication that production line processes that have capacity of 800 cars/week and were not upgraded yet, are now operated at a higher rate to match the capacity of the main assembly line to produce more than 800 (up to 2500) cars per 5-day, 2-shifts per day week. Conservatively assuming additional two shifts operating on Saturday only yields 1.2 x 800 = 960 cars/week.

I think that we might see a tweet, or post, or an interview snippet about increased current production rate any time now.

Any thoughts on/attempts to disprove the above theory would be appreciated...

It has been stated that the current body shop is actually able to do 1500 a week, the upgrade later would up this to 2500. Both the body and paint shop are fully automated and would require MAYBE a handful of techs to oversee to ensure everything is running smoothly... So these likely run as often or not as needed. So the 1500 number likely includes some amount of round the clock function.

Where employees matter is going to be final assembly. While I am sure things have changed it should still give you a good reference point to go watch the megafactories video again to see what required human interaction.

So no, I would take them working on weekends to mean that they are either pumping out 1000 a week or possibly more since the 1000 number should be only assuming 5 day a week operation, since it has been stated before that 60+ hours a week per employee is not sustainable.

VGRIN: Good analysis/logic, as usual. We are long overdue for a blog/tweet/interview with EM. I suspect it will wait till after the close of the quarter (today) but before the ER. Much has happened and been rumored about that could use some clarification. We all know that Driver assistance items are coming out on all cars now, that production and deliveries have been on a fever pace (production up to 1K/week) recently, presumably to make guidance and that AWD S and beta model X are 'close to' release.

All that said, at a minimum, new features on a product (DAs) need to be formerly acknowledged. This could be as simple as a blog or as complicated as a 'show and tell'.

edit: 'IF" a show and tell live event with Elon then I would expect that he will take a few questions. These interviews with him are always very revealing as he usually can not contain himself (too excited/honest) to not reply to direct questions.

Do you happen to have a link for the referenced capacity of body-in-white line of 1500, Chickensevil? I do not remember seing this number before.

I can't for the life of me find or remember where I read about that, so I will tentatively retract that statement. The best thing I could find on the body assembly was the 1 car every 5 minutes number:

Albertine toured the Tesla car-body assembly line, which is made up of over 120 robots that generate a new vehicle every five minutes. It takes about two hours for a car to go through the full production line, he says.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/technolog...s-on-stifel-nicolaus-report.htm#ixzz3Enrvmpe2
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

This comes out to 12 cars an hour, 288 cars a day (assuming they run round the clock), and 2016 a week (assuming 7 days a week). Given that this whole process is automated, I don't see them needing very many people on hand to watch over the 120 robots and they have to be running this more than just a standard one or two shift at 5 days a week or they would fall short and slow down the rest of the factory. Dropping down to roughly 5 days a week (reclaiming 48 hours) would drop that number down to 1440. If they are running the body assembly line as just two standard 8 hour shifts for 5 days a week it would be 960 cars a week. I don't think it would be hard to have them running this line at a high enough rate in order to not be the bottleneck.