Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser Useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't excuse the slow browser but I'm not sure why we even need browsers in cars (with the exception of Tesla Waze and Spotify control). It's so much easier to use the phone and all the things I frequent already have apps that give me instant access to what I need.
Wait until your eyes are older; then you will understand.

This doesn't excuse the slow browser but I'm not sure why we even need browsers in cars (with the exception of Tesla Waze and Spotify control). It's so much easier to use the phone and all the things I frequent already have apps that give me instant access to what I need.

I for one love the idea of a browser. Why, I don't know yet because I don't have V9 yet.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Here are some observations from when i got the update.

Internet speed
IMG_20181009_061654.jpg

Also the browser looks to be a direct port over from the "S", so..... any difference would be due to the hardware as it looks like so far they haven't made a browser tailored to the 3 yet .

Screenshot_20181009_062458.jpg

It's not entirely useless, I can spend a good amount of time browsing through the forums

IMG_20181008_223739.jpg

Last edited:
I updated to 39.6 from .5 (also just got prompt for .7) and it is night and day better. Same website works perfectly now. Before I soent about 15 minutes trying to log into a portal and I finally realized I couldn't because I would hit submit for password, but it was still about 5 or 6 characters behind; it was taking 3-5 seconds to enter a character. Flawless now :)

My browser is totally non-functional, first on 39.6 and now on 39.7. It just sits there not loading anything, no matter the web site. I am connected to the wifi in my house, not a great signal but decent. Streaming music is functional so I have a data connection from somewhere.

Edit: I think the car heard me posting. I went back to the car for something else and now the browser works, LOL.

I went to html5test.com to see what comes up there, and it's a shame that it doesn't seem to support any kind of audio or video. It would be nice to be able to stream music other than Slacker, using the browser.

Last edited:
Try quotes.la this site will give you weather, weather radar, Waze, stocks and news. I'm on WiFi now and it works great. I will have to test on LTE once I go out where I have an LTE signal.

Damn spell checker change the web site. It is "qtes.la" It turned qtes into quotes.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
It's better to use it with sites that are specifically designed for the Tesla browser, like abetterrouteplanner.com, my site teslawinds.com, or others.
Well, I'm convinced that my browser is FUBAR. I have awesome wifi in the garage.... on purpose. I've tried these special "made for Tesla browser" pages.... and no. They won't even load. In fact I'm not taken to the page at all, but am offered suggestions for other similar sites. They work perfectly on my phone. I've tried keying them in multiple times. No dice.

I can go to my EVnut site. But the left navigation panel never loads, and I have never been able to scroll to the bottom of my front page. Something ain't right. But then I also have other serious issues with my cpu/screen in this car. And yes, I've tried a two-button-hold reboot. No change. Well, there is a change (last-visited site tries to load) but no improvement.

Well, I'm convinced that my browser is FUBAR. I have awesome wifi in the garage.... on purpose. I've tried these special "made for Tesla browser" pages.... and no. They won't even load. In fact I'm not taken to the page at all, but am offered suggestions for other similar sites.

Try on LTE instead of on your WiFi to rule out any filtering or firewalls your home router might have.