Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak climate control fan. Actually strong fan, weak airflow.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Floyd Pink

Armed and extremely gregarious
Jun 4, 2021
Richmond, VA
My 2016 S' heated/cooled air isn't reaching the passenger compartment.

It's cold outside. If I turn on the heater, warm air barely trickles in. Even when I turn the fan speed to 11, I hear the fan whirring big time, it's definitely doing its job, but I need to put my hand an inch away from any air outlet to feel anything. It's a VERY weak stream of warm air, and it takes a long time for things to get comfortable.

The aircon is worse. I crank everything to full blast cool, loud fan, and again, barely a trickle of cold air. On a 90 degree plus day, it never gets comfortable.

The hot/cold air is going somewhere, just not into the passenger area. Is there something I can check or adjust?

If the cabin fan is actually turning at high speed (as in working), it sounds like actuator that controls what vent the air goes to is stuck or dead. Switch back and fourth between windshield, floor and face vents in random orders, leaving about 2 seconds between selection. If its stuck, that "could" unstick.
Also check the hidden service menu to see if there are any back-end service alerts.

Reactions: Floyd Pink