Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control sluggish on auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always use auto as well. When the temperatures get into the triple digits though, I find that bringing up the AC controls and tapping the passenger side vent to turn that on makes the AC MUCH more effective. Otherwise, it just comes out of the driver's side and it takes a lot longer for the car to actually cool down. Of course, if you have a front seat passenger, you don't need to do this.

Reactions: alexcue
I always use auto as well. When the temperatures get into the triple digits though, I find that bringing up the AC controls and tapping the passenger side vent to turn that on makes the AC MUCH more effective. Otherwise, it just comes out of the driver's side and it takes a lot longer for the car to actually cool down. Of course, if you have a front seat passenger, you don't need to do this.
This!!! i started doing this too. Now if I know I'm leaving at a set time, pre-conditioning works great.

But... If I have to leave in a hurry, the usual routine, in near triple digits... turn on the passenger side vent, i have it set to hit the roof. and it seems to make a pretty substantial difference than just using the driver vent. Since I can't stand the fan on High for too long, I usually start raising the temp a bit too till the blower slows down a bit, and it seems to feel cooler too.

Same here. For the first few minutes the a/c seems muted then it kicks in to high gear.
I notice mine has a grey text “cooling down” message above the temperature when I first get in and it’s hot - I think this is the car avoiding blasting hot air when all the tubing etc is still super hot. Pretty sure that’s why there’s a delay, and it’s smart.

Yes, this is huge. I forgot about this. I do this too.

This is entirely related to having a car with a heat pump driving the AC vs a compressor that is engine driven. That heat pump is super efficient but like your battery precon in the winter, it must start from somewhere. In winter scavenge for a tiny bit of heat to multiply over and over again, and in the summer start the reaction of cooling so that too can multiply. You see the weakness of a system in its extreme. Setting the app ahead is one way to help sure, but you also need to come to terms with why it's not like your other cars. They do have electric compressors. Just not in any aggressive setup to conserve juice.

Going back, my old R12 cars (before they banned them) were so much colder than any new ICE car built today sans the wrangler. I'm sure that one day some manu will make heat pumps instant cool with a part. Then, Tesla will enable it the same via some software that uses AI to know when you'll likely get back to the car.
This explanation makes the most sense to me. Thanks for posting
Set your auto fan speed to HI
Yes, already set that way.
Good idea for when I'm alone, although pass side is blowing already when the wife is complaining. She is used to that Max AC button in the BMW.... instant ice!

This explanation makes the most sense to me. Thanks for posting
Except it's incorrect,

"So, from a cooling perspective, minus a few technical details, heat pumps and air conditioners are essentially the same when operating in cooling mode, with no significant difference in operation, efficiency, or energy costs."

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I have the opposite experience - the blower stays on too high for too long after it's comfortable. Even if on "LO"/Auto. And some idiot in the supply chain thought putting a parts sticker on the inside of duct was a good idea (or he hated Tesla owners), because at any speed other than the lowest numbers, I get a constant annoying clicking of a sticker flapping in the breeze.