Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

water in trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Lynne, welcome to the forums.

We live just up the coast from you and despite the wettest rainy season start we've ever had, we have experienced no water ingress on our Model S whatsoever. Can you be a little more specific on what you're experiencing?

I got my 2 month old MS 60 back from Fremont SC a week ago after I took it in following my first hand wash resulting in water dripping out from the lift gate left hand cup the day after the wash. It never rains in California this time of the year , so this remained a one time event.

They said they couldn't reproduce it but had an engineer come over from the production side of the factory to show them where the typical failure points were, and the tech re-sealed the insides of the lift gate and the rear light inserts.

Haven't washed it yet myself, but the SC did it. So far so good ...

Is the water actually in the trunk or just on the side runners? It's normal for water to run out on the side runners--they are there to allow water to drain and to prevent it from actually getting in the trunk.

There are at least two service bulletins for the Model S that deal with water ingress in/around the trunk area. Those SB's may not have been applied to your car -- I'd call service and check.

I watched a few of this guys Tesla videos, is it just me or is he a little bit beyond picky? Complaining about water spots after it rains?

I just watched one of them about the water damage (Part 17) and to be honest it was VERY concerning seeing all of those things. Especially the water leaks. Hopefully all of those issues have been resolved. This shouldn't be happening on a car like this. (or any car for that matter).

Watched that video myself, it was interesting. Did early models get delivered unfinished like that? The whole rear of his car looked like it missed the final step in production. I'm not sure I would have excepted the car in such an unfinished state.

Which parts? I just took a look at my car, and it does have those holes in the trunk carpet, as well as the access panel for the back of the charge part. I'd never noticed these things before, because their locations are really kind of hidden. I've never had a problem with water getting inside the rear hatch door, though. That looks bad.

After rain or a car wash, when I open the back hatch - water comes out of the two rubber posts on the bottom of the rear hatch - which doesn't drop into the trunk area - but to the outside sill around the trunk hatch. Not sure if this is normal - but will have service check it when I take my MS in soon for the 12,500 service.

This guy has a 60 kWh car, so it wasn't early in production. It just missed significant quality control stops.

As far as the water intrusion, I agree that his car is defective.

As far as the softness of the paint, I agree with him. However, I don't have any problems with water spots after polishing the car and sealing it. Water spots that wipe away are simply due to mineral deposits from rain or hose water. Permanent water spots are due to corrosion of the clear coat due to minerals/corrosive agents in the water itself and need to be polished to remove. If you have these types of water spots, they may act as a nidus for further water spot collection. All cars get these, but they are more visible in darker cars.

The seems to know about cars. He should have corrected the paint from the get go, sealed it or applied a protective coating like C1/EXO or C.Quartz. Maybe he should install an inline filter for his hose.

I watched a few of this guys Tesla videos, is it just me or is he a little bit beyond picky? Complaining about water spots after it rains?

The whole point of my videos is to BE picky. I was picky on the GOOD stuff, and am picky on the BAD stuff. I did my best to give a non-biased review of the vehicle, once again, giving both the good and bad. Being extra picky on water spots comes as habit, as I work at a Customs Shop. I have had many black cars, and have never had a water spotting issue like on this one. I have never had to go futher then washing and drying a already waxed car to avoid water spots. These, immediately after drying the car, spots begin to appear, and have been a royal pain to remove, even when the water spots are less then 2 minutes old. Never in my life had I have that much trouble to clean a car. I have some Eagle 1 water spot remover that works ok if used immediately after vehicle is washed or wet. I don't even have this much trouble getting water spots on $1,000 Chinese Scooters with low quality paint on them. Water spots wipe right off, even after baking in the sun all day...
So take it as you will.... BTW, picky run in my family ;)

The whole point of my videos is to BE picky. I was picky on the GOOD stuff, and am picky on the BAD stuff. I did my best to give a non-biased review of the vehicle, once again, giving both the good and bad. Being extra picky on water spots comes as habit, as I work at a Customs Shop. I have had many black cars, and have never had a water spotting issue like on this one. I have never had to go futher then washing and drying a already waxed car to avoid water spots. These, immediately after drying the car, spots begin to appear, and have been a royal pain to remove, even when the water spots are less then 2 minutes old. Never in my life had I have that much trouble to clean a car. I have some Eagle 1 water spot remover that works ok if used immediately after vehicle is washed or wet. I don't even have this much trouble getting water spots on $1,000 Chinese Scooters with low quality paint on them. Water spots wipe right off, even after baking in the sun all day...
So take it as you will.... BTW, picky run in my family ;)

Fantastic!! We are both in agreement on the way you scrutinize your Tesla! I'm so glad we were able to avoid an internet purse fight on this issue!

The hatch has a leak/lack of one or two seals. I watched the whole video and was otherwise underwhelmed about other issues, especially water spots. Water spots are caused by solutes in your water period. Dark colors show the spots more. Use deionized water to rinse or use a leaf blower with a filter.

He washes the car every day. He should paint correct and seal/wax the car's paint.

The hatch has a leak/lack of one or two seals. I watched the whole video and was otherwise underwhelmed about other issues, especially water spots. Water spots are caused by solutes in your water period. Dark colors show the spots more. Use deionized water to rinse or use a leaf blower with a filter.

He washes the car every day. He should paint correct and seal/wax the car's paint.

So, it's normal to for fresh water spots to be difficult to remove? Not in my experience, prior to getting my Model S. Let them sit a while, and it's a different story, but a new water spot should be fairly easy to remove. I had the experience where I pre-rinsed my car with hard water, and then immediately washed it with Optimum No Rinse (yeah, no rinse, I know, but the car was very dirty), and I ended up with spots.

In the case of this video, I believe he said the spots were from rain, which should be very soft water. Rainwater is not pure, of course, and it does leave spots, but they should be much easier to clean up than hard water spots.