Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water collecting in rear door opening.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a bit of a strange one. On three occasions now, in the last few days, on opening the near-side rear door there a mini flood of water pours out. I'm puzzled where the water is finding a way in. The interior of the car is quite dry. Do you think this would be a warranty job? Link to a short clip below.

Water ingress

This is a bit of a strange one. On three occasions now, in the last few days, on opening the near-side rear door there a mini flood of water pours out. I'm puzzled where the water is finding a way in. The interior of the car is quite dry. Do you think this would be a warranty job? Link to a short clip below.

Water ingress
this has been seen before. I think the car has two door seals inner and outer. Water is getting though the outer seal and running down the door but and gathering between the inner and outer seal at the bottom. So it means there is a problem with the outer seal. You may need to take it to Tesla for door adjustment or a new seal. but check the outer seal all around and you may be able to see what the problem is maybe the seal is damaged or there is something trapped in it.

Reactions: M1tch
Not sure if covered above but on most cars if water ingresses through the door (ie between inner and outer skin) there should be drain holes at bottom of door to stop the door filling up! If there is only an inner door seal the water will just flow out across the door sill probably without you knowing. But if 2 seals as sounds like here, then it may accumulate between the two until you open the door.

Normal reason for this ingress is poor seal at bottom of windows where it slides inside the door. But as with all things water leaks, it could be coming from anywhere and just travel/ find it’s own way through anywhere where there is a seal - handle, hinge, lock etc etc.

You could probably test the window seal by pouring water on outside of window and after a short wait seeing if it puddles on sill.

Not sure if covered above but on most cars if water ingresses through the door (ie between inner and outer skin) there should be drain holes at bottom of door to stop the door filling up! If there is only an inner door seal the water will just flow out across the door sill probably without you knowing. But if 2 seals as sounds like here, then it may accumulate between the two until you open the door.

Normal reason for this ingress is poor seal at bottom of windows where it slides inside the door. But as with all things water leaks, it could be coming from anywhere and just travel/ find it’s own way through anywhere where there is a seal - handle, hinge, lock etc etc.

You could probably test the window seal by pouring water on outside of window and after a short wait seeing if it puddles on sill.
The door drain holes are outside of the outer seal so this cannot be a factor.
I notice though that the outer seal on my car actually has what seem to be three drain holes in the seal itself . So it could be that water often gets into this cavity and shoukd drain through the seal. Maybe those drain holes are blocked on the ops car?
20230806_215630.jpg

Just in case anyone's interested, the car was in with Tesla this morning having the leak investigated. The invoice states that a "top of body" seal was replaced. I'm not sure exactly what that is, possibly the seal that the window presses up against when shut? The tech said that he checked for water ingress after the seal was replaced and it was dry. So we'll see how we go!

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado