Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the "secret sauce" source - Independence should be open any day now. Still no sightings yet. Saint Louis still has a Saint Charles location - but it's supposedly a bit West of 5th Street where we were speculating before. So either around 94 or Zumbehl road... Columbia has now been set back again - 4th time due to political clout getting owners to back off their approvals at the last minute. Now looking at a possible temporary SuperCharger.

Back to being extremely frustrated. Or maybe I never let that frustration go in the first place! Let's go Missouri - what's the deal?

Independence is almost done and no one has found it. Surprising...

Who has the "political clout" and hates Tesla so much to block a Supercharger in Columbia; 4x? Shocking...

Yes, I'd be perfectly happy to SuperCharge in Boonville or Kingdom City if Columbia wants to play the game like Temple, TX did...

Hm. I assume "Columbia, MO" and "Temple, TX" do want Superchargers and Teslas.
(Remember, neighbor, you and I also get lumped into a group and accused of harming Tesla Motors - because of where we live. Can we avoid participating in that same kind of collective shaming?)

I'd love to see names named when they throw political clout around. It's not the whole town. "4 times" means somebody's got a whispering or threat campaign going that needs sunlight shone on it.

Last edited:
call me naive but I really can't see the "political clout" being so powerful for a supercharger. I mean, you sign the deal with the retail outlet, get a construction permit, and get on with it, right? what do the "dark side" do? watch out for any permit application and go and tell the retail outlet to withdraw it or else? really? seems like some people either have too much time in their hands or are too afraid? isn't it easier to blame poor project management for this location?

Hm. I assume "Columbia, MO" and "Temple, TX" do want Superchargers and Teslas.
(Remember, neighbor, you and I also get lumped into a group and accused of harming Tesla Motors - because of where we live. Can we avoid participating in that same kind of collective shaming?)

I'd love to see names named when they throw political clout around. It's not the whole town. "4 times" means somebody's got a whispering or threat campaign going that needs sunlight shone on it.

Point taken - my reference to "Columbia" was shorthand for "the established business interests of Columbia, MO as influenced by the local auto dealers association and related automotive businesses who might seek to prevent the establishment of a Tesla SuperCharger as their contribution to the campaign by the National Automobile Dealers Association to fight against non-franchise car sales".

But apparently, my keyboard macro didn't fire :) :) <-- note the smilies, mods

There are a ton of dealerships in Columbia, MO, so maybe there is something to that. I can see Boonville or Kingdom City being fine for cross state travelers, but it would kind of screw over half of the folks who have to travel on occasion specifically to Columbia from KC and/or St. Louis (and any other smaller town people come from). There are multiple hospitals and colleges in Columbia that people drive to from all over. Most notable probably being the University of Missouri. There is no viable destination charging in Columbia, making the problem more significant. I've been driving to Columbia regularly for almost 3 years now in a Volt and have never once had a chance to charge in Columbia.

I come from KC. If they put the supercharger in Kingdom City, that's over 20 miles outside of Columbia in the wrong direction. 40+ miles round trip just for a charge. Too far. If I were driving an S, I would have to see if range charging in Independence would be enough on a cold winter day to round trip to Columbia and back to Independence without running out of charge. Google says it's about 115 miles one way. 230 miles round trip. That's probably cutting it too close. Might would be enough for me to decide not to buy an S. Of course, Boonville would work just fine for me, but then it screws over anyone who has to drive to Columbia from St. Louis.

Last edited:
Independence is almost done and no one has found it. Surprising...

Who has the "political clout" and hates Tesla so much to block a Supercharger in Columbia; 4x? Shocking...
There's nothing approved "in" Independence, except for perhaps at Courthouse Exchange, 113 West Lexington Avenue...

I wonder who has the construction contracts in MO? One would think Black & Veatch would have first dibs, since their office is not far away in Overland Park, KS -- but they have no 2014 permits applied for in Columbia.

I know it would add cost to the SC budget but Tesla should put a supercharger just East and West of Columbia..... if it is really political games. They should try to do that in every situation where political games take over.

I find it hilarious that some people actually think political games don't get in the way of stuff. They have no idea how many inspectors I have had to take to lunch. Tesla needs to find out who needs a golf trip. At least now we may know which state Senator it was that put the anti-Tesla amendment in the off road vehicle bill.... No political games block stuff my backside. I have been keeping track of the paperwork on that bill and can you believe that they still have no idea who sponsored the amendment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up the states without Superchargers. There are 13 left in the 48. Missouri is the largest state by population without a supercharger at 6,021,988 by the 2010 census. #2 is Louisiana at 4,601,893, but they have a Supercharger under construction in Lake Charles.

Interesting... Although population is maybe not the best value to compare by... I thought interstate miles might be good, and it turns out Missouri "wins" there too, with 1384.83 miles. Next up are Alaska at 1082.22mi and Oklahoma at 930.16mi.

Did you happen to compile that data into a spreadsheet? I'd like to combine our two datasets and create something publicly available, either via Google Docs, supercharge.info, or something else entirely. If you're interested, feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail (bottom right of same menu that pops up when clicking username).

I'd also like to add interstate miles driven, but so far I've only found a "top 10", rather than a full 50-state dataset.

I'm curious as well - seems as those whoever has owned the four previous locations all "rolled up" to the same set of owners. They'd get through the permit process ready for final approvals and then the "owners" would have a change of heart. I would agree - it's electricity, cars, and politics. Tesla needs to make the friends in Missouri that they need to get this done.

If/when they encounter political issues or business resistance, I sure wish they would engage local/regional owners to advocate on Tesla's behalf. I would think we could be pretty influential in encouraging businesses to support Supercharger installation and to discourage local politicians from putting up resistance.

There's nothing approved "in" Independence, except for perhaps at Courthouse Exchange, 113 West Lexington Avenue...

Has anyone scouted the coming soon service center a stone's throw from Independence at 3555 Manchester Avenue Kansas City, MO? Yes, it's in an industrial area with no services, but there are advantages to having Superchargers at service centers. In this case particularly that TM controls the property and doesn't have to worry about a landlord opting out.

I'm curious as well - seems as those whoever has owned the four previous locations all "rolled up" to the same set of owners. They'd get through the permit process ready for final approvals and then the "owners" would have a change of heart. I would agree - it's electricity, cars, and politics. Tesla needs to make the friends in Missouri that they need to get this done.

Rather than needing to make friends, just making this public would probably solve the problem. As Justice Brandeis said, sunshine is the best disinfectant.