Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington Post Article on true cost to run an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first article I’ve seen that discusses the true cost of ownership state to state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim.../electric-vehicle-charging-price-vs-gasoline/

Hybrid gas rather than charging _can_ make financial sense, although there are engine maintenance costs to consider. Plugging in means electric driving and fewer cold engine starts.

But 40% expensive public charging! Right. They _really_ need to separate that out. The variation is so large a single number is misleading.
In my case it's _way_ lower than even other reported averages. Mine is below 10%.

For example, on a recent vacation I drove the longest trip in my Kona EV, about 1600 miles in travel between overnights and back home, plus some additional driving in the areas we were visiting.

Starting with 100%, 205 miles, then driving in that area with destination charging and leaving first stay with 100%.

Next stay after a long drive we arrived with 31% and the next day had one fast charge of 33.19kWh (about 52%), but with some destination charging and an extension cord lent to us by the hotel west of Pittsburgh* we also got some overnight 120V charging and I we left the hotel with 89%, meaning we net had a a small travel gain from destination charging.

Then the long drive home, including an overnight in eastern NY, with DCFC all the way. We ultimately arrived home with maybe 15%. We probably would have overnighted anyway as my wife doesn't like to have very long days in a car.

All of the destination charging was actually _cheaper_ than charging at home and we didn't really go out of our way for _any_ of it (One time I parked in a lot instead of parking on the street, so we did end up walking maybe a quarter mile extra in total, but the lot parking meant we didn't have a 2 hour limit).

So the 1600 travel miles ended up being about 1150 miles DCFC, and we probably did another 100 to 150 extra miles on top of travel, all covered by destination charging. We average maybe 12.5k miles per year, and that was our longest journey by far. Our previous longest was about 830 miles travel, plus more driving at the destination, a very good chunk of which was covered by destination charging.

* Drury Inn & Suites, Settlers Ridge. There's an unlocked 120V outlet next to the back door of the hotel. No destination charger, but I thank them for their flexibility.

Last edited: