Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walnut Creek Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke to a friend of mine who lives in WC but gets service at Fremont. The Fremont Service Manager apparently lives in WC and commutes down to Fremont. He is supposed to become the WC manager. He noted that TM had problems with the Cook's Collision site noted above (suitability, permitting) and that this location is no longer being considered. Back to square 1 to find a new suitable location. Maybe TM needs to take the 'coming soon' down from the list.

BTW. Broadway Plaza ia a great location. Only problem is upcoming major remodel/construction with demolition of a good part of the facility. Many tenants will be displaced for a while. Wonder where TM is going to locate now and in the future. Also if the existing parking structure is demolished, where will test drive vehicles park & charge?

Hot news. As noted above, recall that a permit had been applied for, then withdrawn (possibly problems with the site, abatement, plans, etc) for a location on N. Main St. Today I happened to stop at the Corte Madera Sales Center location to scout out the charging infrastructure (HPWC go live in 2-3 days…see my other post). When there I ran into the concrete subcontractor (works under the general contractor --hired by TM to do the concrete demolition/repair/new work). He reported that his firm had done all of the concrete work at the Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, and Burlingame locations as well as others. They saw cut existing slabs (e.g. inside old dealership locations like Palo Alto) to be able to pour new 12” thick pads/footings for the new service lifts, plus do the exterior parking lots and hardscape. Anyway, I asked him about Walnut Creek, and he reported to me that his firm has the contract to do the work, that the project is back on track, at the N. Main St. location and that he is awaiting a call to begin concrete demolition in a couple of weeks (on or about 2/1/14). Hope he is right….

Note that this is a few miles from the proposed ‘coming soon’ Walnut Creek Sales Center to be located in Broadway Plaza (…not sure exactly where in BP it will be given the upcoming major remodel). However this might mean the installation of charging infrastructure in the existing parking garage there (there used to be commercial equipment that was torn out).

Update--as of yesterday there is no action at the theoretical Walnut Creek Service Center location on N. Main St. Still has a 'For Lease' sign and some MBZ parked there.

Also checked out the future home of the Sales Center in the Broadway Plaza shopping center in Walnut Creek. Spoke with a 'concierge' who showed me the boarded up future location near Starbucks and Juicy Couture. She noted that there has been little to no construction activity, and I personally have seen no gross change since my last visit a month ago. She also allowed as how there needed to be work done in the parking garage for charging infrastructure.

Looks like we're still in for a wait.....

Just an update on the Walnut Creek Store and Service Centers...

Store...I was by the Broadway Plaza location at end-of-day today 4/3/14, and the temporary construction door was open. I chatted with the foreman and 2 workers. The foreman works for TMs 'prime contractor' building out stores. He noted that he has not been home since New Years and does not expect to be home again until July 4th. He goes around the country from location to location doing the build-out/renovation of the Stores. He has done 1 in NJ, plus the Sunnyvale and Corte Madera stores. He says that they have a lot of Stores in the pipeline.

They have done the interior demolition back to the studs and subfloor. They have to do the finishes (including float the floor and lay tile) and do the electrical, lighting, etc. Looks like the finished space will be about 20x40 feet, not bad given the constrained real estate in Broadway Plaza. They will keep the glass front entrance and the wide door opening to be able to bring inside 1 model S and 1 'skateboard'. They expect to have the work done by the first week in May.

The 6 HPWCs are going into the adjacent garage, on the first floor (technically in part of the employee parking area along the exterior wall backing up onto South Main St.). This parking area is accessed from the south side off of Broadway Plaza Road, through a swinging arm gate. I spoke with the security guard there (the security booth is actually close to the gated entrance) and he is not sure how they will control access for 'casual TM owners' who want to charge. Presumably the TM employees will have an RFID gate card to enter and exit the area. Maybe if you need to charge you will need to park upstairs, go to the TM Store, check in and get access. The transformer has been placed just outside the garage and the distribution panel/circuit breaker panel has been mounted onto the inside of the exterior wall (multiple 100A circuits inside the panel). The contractor (working in the Sales office) told me that they expect to get the mounting boxes and disconnects for the HPWCs in a week or so and hope to have the HPWCs wired up and working in a couple of weeks (...does not mean we can get access and charge).

Service...the suspected location on N. Main St (old Cooks Collision) shows little obvious change. Still has an Available real estate sign out front, however there are fewer MB cars parked there. The Sales office contractor did not know much about the service center (I get the feeling that these are done by different contractors).

If anyone has any better/updated news on the Service Center (maybe someone knows someone in the WC Building Dept who can check permits), please post here.

Walnut Creek update

I was at Broadway Plaza Monday (4 days ago) and went by the new Sales office location. I chatted up the general contractor who was up to his ears in subs (crawling over each other to finish up). The floor has been laid, walls done, electrician hanging light fixtures, casework just delivered. He is scheduled to turn over the store to TM on Mon.4/21. TM still needs to install 'trade dress', displays, computers, telephony, networking, furniture, plus 1 chassis and 1 Model S. The expected 'go live' date is on or about May 1st.

The 6 HPWCs are being installed in the garage on the first floor (was part of the employee parking area). The floor has been epoxy painted and red striping applied to the floor and walls. The electricians were to hang new lighting this week and install the HPWCs. He expects that this will be ready next Monday as well (but likely not available to us before the store actually opens).

As far as the Service Center, no new activity at the N. Main Street location.

BTW, I was out at the Corte Madera Sales center (Village @ Corte Madera). Their permanent larger location in the mall is expected to 'go live' on May 1st as well, with room for a chassis and 2 Model S. The 6 HPWCs are around back and run at 208V 72A (due to the mall's infrastructure). If the spaces are full, park somewhere and go into the store and ask for Brian or another sales team member and they can move a test drive car to free up a space.

I was at Broadway Plaza yesterday. I went to look in and construction worker came out and let me peek in. He said about 2 weeks for opening.

...a bit behind the schedule the general contractor gave me...so now maybe not next Monday....
BTW, did you look in the garage to see the status of the HPWCs?

Yesterday I was at the Autopia car wash next door to the purported location for the Service Center. No activity and lots of MBZ parked there.

...a bit behind the schedule the general contractor gave me...so now maybe not next Monday....
BTW, did you look in the garage to see the status of the HPWCs?

Yesterday I was at the Autopia car wash next door to the purported location for the Service Center. No activity and lots of MBZ parked there.

Did not look at garage. If I go to store opening I'll look.

Was down to Broadway Plaza today and had a look around. The store is almost ready. A painter was doing some touch ups. The casework is in, and much of the trade dress is up. Some furniture was there (e.g. chairs in the side office), and they already had some office supplies and bottles of water. Should be ready well before Sat. 5/10. Some photos:
WC1.jpg
WC2.jpg
WC3.jpg

The parking/charging area on the ground floor of the garage in the valet area is done. 5 (not 6) HPWCs, epoxy painter floor, Tesla logo on back wall, extra LED ceiling lighting. Still wonder about access to park & charge given that the area is behind a swing-arm gate.