Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall and mobile connector voltage measurement accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Power loss is I^2 * R and R= delta V / delta I

so you can set two different charging currents, record delta v and I. Presto! You have the resistance right to the charger and can now calculate power loss. Well I did this with the mobile connector on a circuit I extended and it came up way high.... 0.35 ohms. So I think this is high, but the distance to the box is 50ft, plus zigs and zags with #10, so high but possibly believable.

Next I install a wall connector, 35 feet of #6, terminated in the panel and hardwired on the wall connector. Repeat calculation... 0.2 ohms??? 10x what it should be. I am convinced the voltage measurement is poor for sure on the wall connector, possibly on the mobile. Comments??

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Power loss is I^2 * R and R= delta V / delta I

so you can set two different charging currents, record delta v and I. Presto! You have the resistance right to the charger and can now calculate power loss. Well I did this with the mobile connector on a circuit I extended and it came up way high.... 0.35 ohms. So I think this is high, but the distance to the box is 50ft, plus zigs and zags with #10, so high but possibly believable.

Next I install a wall connector, 35 feet of #6, terminated in the panel and hardwired on the wall connector. Repeat calculation... 0.2 ohms??? 10x what it should be. I am convinced the voltage measurement is poor for sure on the wall connector, possibly on the mobile. Comments??

Are you reading the voltage in the car/app? If so, both of those are rounded to the nearest whole number. The power display in kW is also rounded to the nearest whole number. Not exactly accurate.

I missed the forest through the trees, I think you nailed it Mike. Based on the known variables, I will speculate the flexible cord approved for 42 amps on the wall charger is #12 wire! The numbers also say the power dissipated in that cord is 260 watts at 42A (about 2% of delivered power). Pretty crappy in my book.