Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's not your tax return, its your tax liability. Look at your 2017 return's line 47. If it is at least what you expect the credit will be when you take delivery (7500/3750/1875), you will get that amount credited. If it's less than that, you will get up to your tax liability credited.

Okay perfect. And if I’m married filing jointly it will be the joint liability right? I just want to make sure I’m gonna get a chunk of money back I can put toward the principal of the loan to lessen the financial blow haha

Last edited:
. They almost all did...except for Hasegawa (and it sounded like one other person, but I don't recall any details). Hasegawa's objection was apparently along the lines of: the bill doesn't do enough for poor people (not surprising in direct terms, as few poor people buy new cars; and I guess he wasn't counting the economic and pollutant effects). Much time was spent offering him possible amendments, but he did not accept any of them.

The vote would have been extremely close, but it would not have passed. So the bill did not make it to the floor.

Perhaps they should make the subsidy only for used cars. Cars need at least 20,000 miles to qualify.

The argument that these incentives only benefit wealthier new car buyers is just as dumb and short sighted as the argument that adding mass transit only benefits those who directly utilize the new lines. This isn't about helping people buy a car, this is about encouraging people who are going to buy a car to choose electric over gas, and this has widespread benefits for everyone. It is only a matter of time before enough competition exists that EVs become cheaper, more reliable, and easier to maintain than gas cars. It will be then that those politicians that tried to delay the advancement of EVs realize that the exact people they were worried it wasn't helping enough could have been helped a lot sooner if the government had helped more early on.

The argument that these incentives only benefit wealthier new car buyers is just as dumb and short sighted as the argument that adding mass transit only benefits those who directly utilize the new lines. This isn't about helping people buy a car, this is about encouraging people who are going to buy a car to choose electric over gas, and this has widespread benefits for everyone. It is only a matter of time before enough competition exists that EVs become cheaper, more reliable, and easier to maintain than gas cars. It will be then that those politicians that tried to delay the advancement of EVs realize that the exact people they were worried it wasn't helping enough could have been helped a lot sooner if the government had helped more early on.

Yep. And until people like us (I don’t know how old you are or anything about you) buy electric cars and help others see that they are amazing and reliable machines, naysayers or even those who don’t know how they feel about them won’t even consider them.

Last edited:
As for Tesla's response, yes in June 2015 the locals (with solid corporate support) made a huge effort and delivered a lot of cars just before the deadline (including hiring me as a contractor). I expect they will do what they can this time, but it only affects the Model 3 and Tesla is only building so many of those, so I am not sure how much of a difference they can make.

If you still have contacts at Tesla local & corporate, please make our case! And maybe they will even hire you again. They are building more 3s than they ever built S and Xs, they need to divert a bunch here for the last 2 months of the sales tax exemption program.

As for Tesla's response, yes in June 2015 the locals (with solid corporate support) made a huge effort and delivered a lot of cars just before the deadline (including hiring me as a contractor). I expect they will do what they can this time, but it only affects the Model 3 and Tesla is only building so many of those, so I am not sure how much of a difference they can make.
I think the main thing Tesla can do is to invite as many of WA residents as possible early.

For eg. now they are inviting people who booked online in San Diego. Instead they should be inviting people who booked earlier in WA.

Reactions: zmarty and ChadS
Meeting with legislators outside of the session is often the best way to get things done. You can start to build a relationship and add understanding on issues of concern. Of course, immediately after a session ends is probably going to be a bit of a dead period. At least it's not the end of a special session (or two or three) like recent years.

--tried to post that yesterday, but TMC stopped responding to me for a while

Reactions: ChadS
Just got another emailed response:

Dan,

Representative Brandon Vick wants to inform you that 2SSB 6080 stalled out in the Senate Rules Committee.

He does not serve in the Senate and does not have any information as to why this legislation did not move

further in the legislative process.

However, this bill can be reintroduced at the start of the next legislative session.

Best Regards,

Peter Gilmour

Senior Legislative Assistant to

Representative Brandon Vick

18th Legislative District

• Informative
Reactions: UZJedi
Just got another emailed response:

Dan,

Representative Brandon Vick wants to inform you that 2SSB 6080 stalled out in the Senate Rules Committee.

He does not serve in the Senate and does not have any information as to why this legislation did not move

further in the legislative process.

However, this bill can be reintroduced at the start of the next legislative session.

Best Regards,

Peter Gilmour

Senior Legislative Assistant to

Representative Brandon Vick

18th Legislative District

At least your people are responding (despite not having any actual answers). Nothing from mine

I heard an explanation (from an Olympia lobbyist) for why the Senate Republicans, as a bloc, refused to support any EV bills at the end of the session. I can not confirm that the explanation is correct, but if it is true there is hope for next year (and more importantly, there is a hint on how to help) so it seems worth posting what I was told:

The legislators had recently passed, by an overwhelming majority, 6617 to exempt themselves from the public records law. The legislation was passed very quickly, and in fact bypassed the usual public comment formalities. (Which in my experience really seem like formalities; most legislators seem to have already made up their mind and don't appear to pay much attention to the comments. More on this below). There was a large outcry by the media and the public, and in retrospect the legislators themselves realized they had done the wrong thing - at least the wrong way - and there were letters from both D and R lawmakers asking Inslee to veto the legislation they had just passed. It had passed with enough votes to override a veto, but they said they would not do so.

Inslee did veto it. I am told that at the time of the veto, one of his policy advisors made a disparaging remark about the Republicans' role in the legislation. I cannot find ANY comments by the policy advisor online, and everything I can see from Inslee was pretty respectful and did not try to blame one side...and the D's are in charge of the process now, so I would think the blame would default to them. But I am just searching online news; maybe it was on TV and there is no transcript. In any event, the Republican leaders were unhappy with the response (not the veto, but rather the words I can't find) and wanted to "punish" Inslee by not passing some legislation that he wanted. Inslee was in favor in the EV bills, so despite personal support from many senators (remember it passed 86-12 in the House, and some of the biggest supporters there are R's), all Republican senators obeyed their leaders and refused to support the bill. It could have passed if just one of them had flipped.

The lobbyist said at least this means that we have a better chance if we try again next year. She also pointed out that by the time of the public hearings on a bill, most legislators are too caught up to spend time researching issues and rarely change their mind - a better time to influence their positions is to meet with them in the summer at their district offices. So if you care about this legislation, you might put a reminder on your calendar to look up your Senator this summer.

(I do not mean this to say that it is meaningless to comment on a bill, or to email your legislator when one is near a vote. While they are unlikely to read comments and reconsider their position for that vote - though they sometimes do when there is a huge outcry, in fact that's how we got the anti-Tesla provision in a dealer-OEM relationship bill changed in 2014 - they do tally constituent positions and pass that up to party leadership. So while it may not usually affect the current vote, it may well affect future positions. I am just pointing out that you will be more likely to affect next session's votes if you make direct contact before the session starts).​

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty and dfitz206
I heard an explanation (from an Olympia lobbyist) for why the Senate Republicans, as a bloc, refused to support any EV bills at the end of the session. I can not confirm that the explanation is correct, but if it is true there is hope for next year (and more importantly, there is a hint on how to help) so it seems worth posting what I was told:

The legislators had recently passed, by an overwhelming majority, 6617 to exempt themselves from the public records law. The legislation was passed very quickly, and in fact bypassed the usual public comment formalities. (Which in my experience really seem like formalities; most legislators seem to have already made up their mind and don't appear to pay much attention to the comments. More on this below). There was a large outcry by the media and the public, and in retrospect the legislators themselves realized they had done the wrong thing - at least the wrong way - and there were letters from both D and R lawmakers asking Inslee to veto the legislation they had just passed. It had passed with enough votes to override a veto, but they said they would not do so.

Inslee did veto it. I am told that at the time of the veto, one of his policy advisors made a disparaging remark about the Republicans' role in the legislation. I cannot find ANY comments by the policy advisor online, and everything I can see from Inslee was pretty respectful and did not try to blame one side...and the D's are in charge of the process now, so I would think the blame would default to them. But I am just searching online news; maybe it was on TV and there is no transcript. In any event, the Republican leaders were unhappy with the response (not the veto, but rather the words I can't find) and wanted to "punish" Inslee by not passing some legislation that he wanted. Inslee was in favor in the EV bills, so despite personal support from many senators (remember it passed 86-12 in the House, and some of the biggest supporters there are R's), all Republican senators obeyed their leaders and refused to support the bill. It could have passed if just one of them had flipped.

The lobbyist said at least this means that we have a better chance if we try again next year. She also pointed out that by the time of the public hearings on a bill, most legislators are too caught up to spend time researching issues and rarely change their mind - a better time to influence their positions is to meet with them in the summer at their district offices. So if you care about this legislation, you might put a reminder on your calendar to look up your Senator this summer.

(I do not mean this to say that it is meaningless to comment on a bill, or to email your legislator when one is near a vote. While they are unlikely to read comments and reconsider their position for that vote - though they sometimes do when there is a huge outcry, in fact that's how we got the anti-Tesla provision in a dealer-OEM relationship bill changed in 2014 - they do tally constituent positions and pass that up to party leadership. So while it may not usually affect the current vote, it may well affect future positions. I am just pointing out that you will be more likely to affect next session's votes if you make direct contact before the session starts).​

Down here in Clark Co we hear more about what's going on in Salem than Olympia. The only info I had on the EV bill I read on this forum.

I did hear about the exempting legislators from public records bill on the local NPR station. I guess the reason given in the story was that sometimes legislators are contacted by constituents about sensitive matters and they wanted to keep those private to protect the constituent's information. That makes sense but could be done with a much more narrow focused law that allows the records office to redact any identifying information from a constituent's e-mail or letter when releasing information to the public or if the entire communication is too sensitive, it can be run past a judge for ommittal from a request.

If the EV bill was blocked in the state senate by the Republicans they must have had at least one Democratic defector to help them.

Politics are ridiculous. This is another example of why progress takes so long in this country.

I think it was Churchill who said, "democracy is the worst of all political systems. Until you look at the alternatives."

Two decades ago politics in the US was a rivalry of team Republican vs team Democrat which was like the sports rivalry between University of Washington and Washington State. They would duke it out on the issues and then go out for drinks in the evening. One party was mostly right of center and the other left of center, but they weren't that far apart.

That era died in the 1990s and politics became a blood sport. I blame the Republicans more than the Democrats. I grew up in a Republican family (more Eisenhower Republican than anything else), but left the fold when conservative media started demonizing "liberal" as a bad word. It's very unhealthy and it's become a mess on the national level. It isn't as extreme in Washington as it is in the other Washington, but this state is trying to make it as a bicultural state.

One of the moderators here on the forum recommended a book to me last year called American Nations. It's been out a few years and there are many used copies online. It details the 11 different cultures (identities) that make up North America. Washington state, like the other West Coast states, is a split between the Far West culture on the interior and the Left Coast culture west of the Cascades (coastal strip in California). We have different goals and values and the two parties are made up of coalitions of the different cultures. It's a very valuable book for understanding the underlying fault lines that run through this country (as well as Canada).