Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 76 crushed by a distracted driver this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible safety ploy that especially makes sense after long stretches of open highway come up to a STOP: act like an Indy Pace Car but in reverse. Collect the fast moving traffic approaching behind you to see if they are ASLEEP. With a Tesla of course you can launch out of their way at the last minute if what you see in rearview mirror indicates they ARE asleep. Ideally you and those collected behind you will arrive at just the right time to cruise on thru the stop. From my old motorcycle bag o' tricks.

> i wonder how many roadsters are left on the road [bluenation]

About the same number as surviving Yugos (estimated 2500).

PS: Condolences to both man and machine.
--

So does that mean we have only lost about 100 so far? That is actually quite good.

So does that mean we have only lost about 100 so far? That is actually quite good.
Tesla's agreement with Lotus was for 2,400 gliders, and they later amended the contract for an additional 100. I expect the production numbers are a little less than that with R&D and crash tests. There were 1,464 sold in the USA. If I had to take a s.w.a.g. at it, I'd guess 70 have been totaled and 200 are in collections where they see little to no road time.

If I had to take a s.w.a.g. at it, I'd guess 70 have been totaled and 200 are in collections where they see little to no road time.

This question seems to have come up periodically, and there's never really been a good answer for it. #34 was totaled, right? I've seen several accidents, but I'm not sure how to know whether they were totaled or repaired.

prius_tesla_toureg_crash-500x256.jpg

tesla_20081103_002.jpg

TeslaCrash3-500x374.jpg

2009_tesla_roadster_crash_new_jersey.agqv5pwdn3cow4ck80ggo4wsk.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th.jpeg

28809351_6X.JPG

Ironically, there's others posted to this forum, but I'm not sure how to embed the other images:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63431&d=1415781356

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11458&d=1352481791

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69657&d=1421639893

All of this is so sad. I feel like we should have a thread to keep track of the R.I.Ps, though. Something like this, only more comprehensive:

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/tesla/roadster

Last edited:
Have UHaul install their trailer hitch so you could mount a luggage rack. Get a yellow plastic tank or two to carry on the rack. Not filled with sand of course, but with the tops hinged so you could carry some bulky gear if you wanted to. Seeing the bright yellow tubs would shock the neurological core of these lamers. I mean how many highway dept trucks get rear ended?
--

I doubt it. The S is too big for my daily needs, and too nice for the times I need a big vehicle.

I still haven't heard ANYTHING from the insurance company (GEICO) about whether they plan to repair or not. This is really getting to me.

Even if they refuse to repair and they total the vehicle, you can always take the payout, salvage the car, and then get it repaired yourself using the payout money. Just don't ever expect to sell it for anything.

Edit: Not that you would ever sell it, since I fully expect you to want to keep that car practically forever. Which is why I suggested that route in the first place ;)

Even if they refuse to repair and they total the vehicle, you can always take the payout, salvage the car, and then get it repaired yourself using the payout money. Just don't ever expect to sell it for anything.
I'm not sure that would work out so well. I think the parts may be worth a lot more than the whole. It would be prohibitively expensive to repair, and the salvage value will be to high to buy it back.

Oh wow. Sorry to see your car like that. Glad you're ok. We met a while back at one of the MD Volt meet ups. Hopefully they can get it back together as good as new.

DMV beltway traffic and the highways linked to them are full of so many distracted drivers.

Thanks, everyone for your concern and your kind words. This experience has been, and remains, very difficult for me. At least I escaped without physical injuries.

I haven't been posting about this, since the insurance company (GEICO) has kept me in the dark for more than a week with no information at all.

Last night, I was informed that they have declared my Roadster totaled. They haven’t yet gotten back to me with their price to buy the salvage title, but their compensation offer to me was ludicrously low, and I have demanded that they re-evaluate.

Some vultures have been circling since the day of the accident asking if I was going to buy the salvage title, and if I did, could they have "x" part. I have neither a place to store the car, nor the resources to do the repairs. And, frankly, I couldn’t bear to look at my Signature 100 in its wrecked state.

So, if you want the parts and are willing to deal with transport from Maryland, I will let you know the salvage price and arrange for you to buy it. Perhaps a group buy?

Now, I'm looking for a 1.5 in good shape with a hard top and xenon headlamps.

Wish me luck...

……curt

Thanks, everyone for your concern and your kind words. This experience has been, and remains, very difficult for me. At least I escaped without physical injuries.

I haven't been posting about this, since the insurance company (GEICO) has kept me in the dark for more than a week with no information at all.

Last night, I was informed that they have declared my Roadster totaled. They haven’t yet gotten back to me with their price to buy the salvage title, but their compensation offer to me was ludicrously low, and I have demanded that they re-evaluate.

Wish me luck...

……curt

This seems to be a problem even with the Model S. The worst part of ownership is getting the insurance companies to cooperate with us and give fair values and compensation. From others experience in fighting this it seems you might have to prove to them that it really is worth more than they were claiming. I would reference both online and on-lot going prices for roadsters. Because clearly these cars do not go for a low price. I would think anything less than 60k would be low. Cars.com has 3 roadsters listed:

2011 Roadster Sport 2.5: 85,000
2010 Roadster (vin 711): 71,000
2008 Roadster (vin 226): 62,992

Hope that helps! Good luck!

So, if you want the parts and are willing to deal with transport from Maryland, I will let you know the salvage price and arrange for you to buy it. Perhaps a group buy?

I personally would only sell it to someone who'd want to restore it. It is fixable. To see a Roadster lost due to pick and pull type of death would be devastating, especially a Sig 100.

... So, if you want the parts and are willing to deal with transport from Maryland, I will let you know the salvage price and arrange for you to buy it. Perhaps a group buy? ...

I've tried a group buy before for a wrecked roadster, as I'm trying to bring back my 1.5 #164 back to life (I need an ESS), but I was outbid at the auction. So please let me know the salvage I be willing to do the transport and storage.

btw at the time I had good luck talking to my local Tesla service center and get official prices of CPO roadsters for proof of actual values. You might get more of a favorable estimated value to show to your insurance.

Last edited:

Wish me luck...

……curt

Curt-- we do wish you the best of luck. I have #87 insured with Geico as well, so I'm very curious to know what the outcome of this situation will be. I've shopped around for other insurance, but because I've been insured by Geico for 10 years or more, no one can beat my Geico premiums.

Must ... resist ... desire ... for ... another ... project...

(So sorry - not intending to make light of this. It's awful, but I'd hate to see a Sig roadster turn into a parts car)

Curt-- we do wish you the best of luck. I have #87 insured with Geico as well, so I'm very curious to know what the outcome of this situation will be. I've shopped around for other insurance, but because I've been insured by Geico for 10 years or more, no one can beat my Geico premiums.

what good are low premiums if you get nothing in return, if disaster strikes........ :-(

Curt hope you get out of this with a new 1.5 and some real help from the insurers.

and I agree with a previous POSTer that it would be really nice if someone would be interested in the restoration of your roadster rather than chopping it up for parts..... think of if that would have happened to all the old restored sports cars shown on concourses around the world..... sad. best of luck