Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 76 crushed by a distracted driver this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
damn that is horrible :(

from a fellow roadster owner who was side swiped by a SUV one month into ownership, I can understand.

I hope it's fixable, but it looks bad :(

I also wish there were more penalties or something for distracted drivers. I also ride a motorcycle and there is a noticable difference. And yes I can turn my head and see them and not be "distracted" like they are staring constantly DOWN into their phone. There is a difference.

There's a big difference between noticing a distracted driver and actively seeking out for them. The latter of which takes your wandering eyes off what's important thus making you a part of the distracted driving problem that you hate so much.
With all due respect you are wrong. Any alert driver is constantly checking around. A nearby driver looking down at phone is a pose that you can detect in a short glance. If you didn't already notice their erratic driving.

I feel horrible

Let me be the first to let the group know that Curt is a very strong proponent of electric vehicles and Tesla products. He attends many events on the weekends and has helped me personally coordinate a few. He's a member of EVA/DC, MD Volt, and other organizations in the Washington, DC area. He's always out there preaching the benefits of EVs and is usually one of the first people to arrive. I hope he gets through this rough time because he's quite an asset in our area.

He won an award for his car at a GM show at their White Marsh plant near Baltimore last fall. This was the first time they had introduced an EV category.

curt.jpeg

man, i can't see that as being anything other than total loss....

and tesla touch screen will be (is?) one of the greatest sources of distracted driving for the near future

Its only cosmetic, not structural damage. Worse case the rear sub-frame needs replacing. Front is fine. Largest cost is the main hull, which could total it. But if he gets to buy it back I don't see why it couldn't be patched with CF right where the rear trunk mount damaged it.

Since when have you been run off the road by a Tesla Model S? I've never seen one Model-S driver ( I see many in the bay area ) get distracted by the touch screen. What is more distracting is the stupid "I won't sue you" agreement that cars like the Prius and GPS units force you to agree to as you start turning things on and begin moving down the road.

Bad drivers will always be bad drivers. I've seen drivers get distracted when they're looking straight at you, their minds were wandering.... Would you say the same about pilots? Look at their consoles, that's one big distraction as you'd put it. However a pilot who's not a bad pilot, competent, and knows what he's doing is not distracted by them but uses them for what they're designed for at the right time.

Agree bad drivers will be bad drivers, but there's actually a known psychological issue with smartphones: people actually crave constant stimulation from them, and are deeply fearful they may miss something important... so smart phones aid and abet people who already have bad skills or bad judgement. Much more impaired driving going on with phones than any other device - including in-car screens. IMHO, the 17" screen is not a distractor, just part of the car.

Curt,
So glad that you are most importantly ok. You were well protected for sure! Let's not get off topic with bad/negative comments. Plain and simple people should not be texting while driving. Noticing them is not in the same ball park so don't let others GET DISTRACTED and mean. The Roadster group here is always sensitive and I think there is a reason!!

I think many here are missing the point...

The car did it's job. The driver was sandwiched between a car and an SUV, and yet the driver alive.

I hope the Roadster can be rebuilt. Human life on the other hand is less rebuildable.

I would insist on the insurance company replacing the car with an equal or better priced Roadster rather than accept cash. Most policies allow for that BUT the companies try to hide that fact from you.

I wish you well, and I hope you feel better soon.

Best,

T

Oh no!
I am in shock for you :(
irreplaceable, I just want to throttle that driver...
I am crossing my fingers that there is some way to fix this, but I can't imagine it will ever be as pristine and reliable as it was before.
It was definitely a piece of history lost to idiocy :(