Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 76 crushed by a distracted driver this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a case like this where you're not at fault and the other's party's insurance is processing a claim, I've heard that you can basically contact your insurance company and they will basically represent you and contact the other insurance company on your behalf to get you the best price.

Most places, yes... However in MD, with the way the laws are written, if he had gone that route it would have meant higher rates on his insurance. MD has some stupid insurance laws that lets them raise your rates under just about any circumstance.

Oh you called us for roadside assistance? Raising your rates
Oh you called us to get assistance in fighting someone else's insurance company? raising your rates

Seriously, both of these are not made up... and it isn't limited to one insurance company doing that, it is all of them from what I have heard. They all do it because they can... sadly.

Just letting everyone know that, after 4 1/2 months of fighting, GEICO cut me a check this morning, for only $3K less than I had requested in February.

In the end, they did the right thing, but only because one of their guys (manager number 3 from where I started) shot himself in the foot (figuratively), and he couldn't easily weasel his way out of it.

I got an Independent Appraisal which, no surprise, came in at very close to the value I had requested. GEICO didn't like this, and this manager contracted his own appraisal for GEICO's benefit. These guys aren't very bright (none of them have been), and he only read the bottom line before gleefully sending it to me. He probably wouldn't have noticed if it described a completely different vehicle.

At any rate, this second appraisal was amateurish and full of holes. I pointed out to the guy (and then HIS manager) that, once the omitted options from GEICO's appraisal were added, and the taxes and fees added to both their appraisal and the Independent one, that they differed by less than $3,000.

Unless you really believe deep down that you will never need to file a claim, and that you are only paying for insurance because it is legally required, GEICO should be avoided. The first three levels of GEICO employees I dealt with made no effort to settle the claim, and each one blatantly and repeatedly lied to me, usually in writing.

I've asked about buying the salvage title, but it appears I've hurt their feelings and they don't want to talk to me about that.

Now, to get on with my life. I feel the need to take the top off and drive a bit.

Very happy to hear how things stand now, Curt. Here's a kernel of an idea: do you think there could be any possibility of having a disinterested third party (i.e., a friend or a TMC member, etc.) "independently" inquiring of Geico to buy the salvage title???

Most places, yes... However in MD, with the way the laws are written, if he had gone that route it would have meant higher rates on his insurance. MD has some stupid insurance laws that lets them raise your rates under just about any circumstance.

Oh you called us for roadside assistance? Raising your rates
Oh you called us to get assistance in fighting someone else's insurance company? raising your rates

Seriously, both of these are not made up... and it isn't limited to one insurance company doing that, it is all of them from what I have heard. They all do it because they can... sadly.

Wow, really? Even if you don't file a claim with your insurance company? Yikes.

Very happy to hear how things stand now, Curt. Here's a kernel of an idea: do you think there could be any possibility of having a disinterested third party (i.e., a friend or a TMC member, etc.) "independently" inquiring of Geico to buy the salvage title???

I suppose you could try, though I don't know how can do this and seem "disinterested". :wink:

I'm going to wait another week, until their check clears, then inquire again about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, really? Even if you don't file a claim with your insurance company? Yikes.

Asking your insurance company to go after another company on your behalf constitutes making a claim with your insurance company.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is because of changes in Maryland law from late last year. My State Farm agent was very up-front about it. He said none of the agents or customers are happy about it. He then went above and beyond to help me without initiating a claim.

My thought was very simplistic: you go to your buddy and have him approach Geico, the salvage yard or whatever the appropriate site is, say "I am interested in Roadster Vin#XXXX. How much do you want for it?" Once they agree on a price, s/he turns around and re-sells it to you. All this does is keep your name out of the transaction.

My thought was very simplistic: you go to your buddy and have him approach Geico, the salvage yard or whatever the appropriate site is, say "I am interested in Roadster Vin#XXXX. How much do you want for it?" Once they agree on a price, s/he turns around and re-sells it to you. All this does is keep your name out of the transaction.

Curt, you know how to get ahold of me, if you need help on this just let me know and I'll see what I can do :D would hate for that Roadster to waste away in a junkyard when there is valuable stuff on it still. Plus, since I have no interest in anything on the Roadster it will be all yours to do with as you will :D

Ah - now I understand.

Actually, my intent is to get the price, then offer the salvage title up for anyone who wants to do the restoration. There have been several folks on TMC asking about it.

I have neither the space nor the equipment to do this myself, and I don't think I could bear to look at VIN 76 in its current condition.