Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very expensive Battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen discussions on Quora with people claiming battery replacement costs higher than the price of a new car. This is the first time I've seen evidence. This is patently insane and shows the greed of the car companies.
I see it as a complete lack of supply-chain and preparation for replacement parts. I remember my friend got the brand new Nissan 350z the week it came out. His cousin took the car for a spin and wrecked it was 120 miles on the odometer. It took 6 months and about 3X more money than I anticipated to repair because there were no extra parts available. At the time, every part made was being used to build brand new 350zs that were on a reservation list.

I suspect EV repairs would be a whole lot less expensive if the battery packs were universal and readily available at the local parts shelf. But if the replacement has to yet to be built and shipped to Canada, I'd expect the part to be quite expensive.