Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle may not restart Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my 2023 Model Y Performance, and after 41 miles driven, the car shutdown while I was driving. This error has happened (3) times in total, and currently the car is at the Tesla shop being diagnosed. While I was not sure if the car could safely be driven, we towed the vehicle to the Tesla shop for safety.

Just wanted to share the errors I am receiving and see if there is any others that have the same fate :) and what was the fix that solved the issue.
Latest update from the Tesla Service Center on my vehicle ...

The latest update I have right now is that they want us to go ahead and replace the chassis harness on the vehicle after providing the team the data and diagnostics information this is the direction, they pointed us at.

I just picked up my 2023 Model Y Performance, and after 41 miles driven, the car shutdown while I was driving. This error has happened (3) times in total, and currently the car is at the Tesla shop being diagnosed. While I was not sure if the car could safely be driven, we towed the vehicle to the Tesla shop for safety.

Just wanted to share the errors I am receiving and see if there is any others that have the same fate :) and what was the fix that solved the issue.
Well that answers my earlier question of has anyone actually had a failure to restart. I've been ignoring my rarely occurring alerts. Now I'm worried since I have an upcoming 1k mi trip in about 10 days. I've determined the alert only occurs every few weeks if I'm sitting in D at a really long traffic light. As soon as I touch the accelerator it goes out. Don't know what to do now.

Well that answers my earlier question of has anyone actually had a failure to restart. I've been ignoring my rarely occurring alerts. Now I'm worried since I have an upcoming 1k mi trip in about 10 days. I've determined the alert only occurs every few weeks if I'm sitting in D at a really long traffic light. As soon as I touch the accelerator it goes out. Don't know what to do now.
Bart404, that is the SAME circumstances that occurred to me. I was at a major intersection (light) and was stopped, the light turned green, and the car SHUTDOWN!!! We are on the 2nd trip to Tesla. On the first repair ...Tesla "fixed" it by telling me a wire connection harness plug was not seated properly, and that the issue was "resolved" ... well I drove it home, say 6 miles, and the car did the EXACT same ... so we are on attempt #2 to resolve the issue. This time, Tesla claims they have to replace the "Chassis Harness" ... whatever on Gods earth that means ... I am supposed to get my vehicle back July 5th, but to be honest, it scares me that they are going to dis-assemble the car, and put a new chassis harness in ... I mean ... what could possibly go wrong. I have documented everything, and if this attempt to fix does not resolve the issue, I will start a lemon law claim with Tesla.

Bart404, that is the SAME circumstances that occurred to me. I was at a major intersection (light) and was stopped, the light turned green, and the car SHUTDOWN!!! We are on the 2nd trip to Tesla. On the first repair ...Tesla "fixed" it by telling me a wire connection harness plug was not seated properly, and that the issue was "resolved" ... well I drove it home, say 6 miles, and the car did the EXACT same ... so we are on attempt #2 to resolve the issue. This time, Tesla claims they have to replace the "Chassis Harness" ... whatever on Gods earth that means ... I am supposed to get my vehicle back July 5th, but to be honest, it scares me that they are going to dis-assemble the car, and put a new chassis harness in ... I mean ... what could possibly go wrong. I have documented everything, and if this attempt to fix does not resolve the issue, I will start a lemon law claim with Tesla.
Were you able to restart and continue after shutdown and if so how? Did you get the same a_o36 code each time?
I can see why you might want to lemon law it since you haven't had it long enough to fall in love with it as I have mine. Other than the easy to ignore alert warning that has only occurred a few times in 1100mi, my MYP has been an absolute joy to drive. I have an appt with service on 7/3.

Were you able to restart and continue after shutdown and if so how? Did you get the same a_o36 code each time?
I can see why you might want to lemon law it since you haven't had it long enough to fall in love with it as I have mine. Other than the easy to ignore alert warning that has only occurred a few times in 1100mi, my MYP has been an absolute joy to drive. I have an appt with service on 7/3.
  1. First time car shut down, I was driving 40 mph, and the car simple started to throw alerts, with the final alert being the car was shutting down, and to PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY. I was able to "reboot" the car and make it home. I initially chalked it up to a freak thing ... but I scheduled an appointment with Tesla to check it out
  2. Second occurrence, before I took the car to Tesla, I was pulling out of my driveway, and the car shutdown again ... but ... Tesla actually called me, and said they could "see" my car, and to NOT drive it ... they sent a tow truck to get it. I was able to reboot my car and get it back in the garage to wait for the tow truck
  3. Third occurrence, Tesla "claimed" they fixed issue by snapping a connector tighter together. When I left the dealership, I was at a traffic light, and the car shut down at the light!!! Same error messages, followed by the car being un-driveable. I rebooted the car again, and was only able to drive about 7 feet, somewhat out of the intersection, and the car died AGAIN!!! The car is now still at Tesla getting the Chassis Harness ...
I picked up my car from the Tesla dealership (delivered new) on June 15th, drove it a total of 41 miles, and it has been in the shop now twice, so almost over 2 weeks with no new car. Now to be fair to Tesla, they have given me a loaner car, which is awesome, but I want the car I paid $60,000 to work!!! :cool:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 5.23.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 5.23.41 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 163
  1. First time car shut down, I was driving 40 mph, and the car simple started to throw alerts, with the final alert being the car was shutting down, and to PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY. I was able to "reboot" the car and make it home. I initially chalked it up to a freak thing ... but I scheduled an appointment with Tesla to check it out
  2. Second occurrence, before I took the car to Tesla, I was pulling out of my driveway, and the car shutdown again ... but ... Tesla actually called me, and said they could "see" my car, and to NOT drive it ... they sent a tow truck to get it. I was able to reboot my car and get it back in the garage to wait for the tow truck
  3. Third occurrence, Tesla "claimed" they fixed issue by snapping a connector tighter together. When I left the dealership, I was at a traffic light, and the car shut down at the light!!! Same error messages, followed by the car being un-driveable. I rebooted the car again, and was only able to drive about 7 feet, somewhat out of the intersection, and the car died AGAIN!!! The car is now still at Tesla getting the Chassis Harness ...
I picked up my car from the Tesla dealership (delivered new) on June 15th, drove it a total of 41 miles, and it has been in the shop now twice, so almost over 2 weeks with no new car. Now to be fair to Tesla, they have given me a loaner car, which is awesome, but I want the car I paid $60,000 to work!!! :cool:
Wow! I can sure understand your frustration. Your experience is different from mine and everyone else I've heard from with a_036 alert.

Ok here is the latest. Tesla replace both the rear motor AND the chassis harness (still no clue what this is). Just drove care home ~8 miles. Need to put a few more road miles on car to feel safe that the car is fixed.
Sure hope that solves it. How long did they keep it for repair?
I cancelled my appt. Leaving on a 1k mi trip next week and was afraid I wouldn't get it back in time.

Hello. I need your assistance. I have a newly built model y made in Austin with H4. Drives amazing, built quality is perfect BUT I’ve been randomly getting a ‘bms_a036’ error. It’s a very low mileage car. Seems to only happen when braking. Like every other day. Anyone familiar with this error?

Hello. I need your assistance. I have a newly built model y made in Austin with H4. Drives amazing, built quality is perfect BUT I’ve been randomly getting a ‘bms_a036’ error. It’s a very low mileage car. Seems to only happen when braking. Like every other day. Anyone familiar with this error?
I had the same issue with my Austin build the day I took delivery of the car back in February. The error will pop up for a second while braking and it only happens when I’m driving home after work. The error never occurs while driving to work in the morning.

Tesla determined the false trigger was due to a circuit current disruption of the 3rd brake light and installed a filter. The code came back a week later. DM me if you need more info.

I had the same issue with my Austin build the day I took delivery of the car back in February. The error will pop up for a second while braking and it only happens when I’m driving home after work. The error never occurs while driving to work in the morning.

Tesla determined the false trigger was due to a circuit current disruption of the 3rd brake light and installed a filter. The code came back a week later. DM me if you need more info.
Morning! Looks like I’m unable to DM, or I can’t find it lol. We took the Y to the SC and it was the same thing. They placed ferrite filters for the top brake light. A day later got the same BMS error code. When they did the diagnostic, they said the motor and the battery were perfect. It’s back at the SC. I’m wondering at this point if it’ll just go away on its own. Like I said before, the car runs perfectly.

Morning! Looks like I’m unable to DM, or I can’t find it lol. We took the Y to the SC and it was the same thing. They placed ferrite filters for the top brake light. A day later got the same BMS error code. When they did the diagnostic, they said the motor and the battery were perfect. It’s back at the SC. I’m wondering at this point if it’ll just go away on its own. Like I said before, the car runs perfec
Sent you a DM.

Morning! Looks like I’m unable to DM, or I can’t find it lol. We took the Y to the SC and it was the same thing. They placed ferrite filters for the top brake light. A day later got the same BMS error code. When they did the diagnostic, they said the motor and the battery were perfect. It’s back at the SC. I’m wondering at this point if it’ll just go away on its own. Like I said before, the car runs perfectly.
I keep hoping a software update will cure it. I really don't want to take it to SC if I can avoid it.
Just completed 1k mi trip involving ALL types of driving conditions. Started with 95% and got down to 7%. Speeds ranging from over 100mph to LONG standstills. Y performed flawlessly with NO alerts. I've mostly gotten over fear of "vehicle may not restart".

I keep hoping a software update will cure it. I really don't want to take it to SC if I can avoid it.
Just completed 1k mi trip involving ALL types of driving conditions. Started with 95% and got down to 7%. Speeds ranging from over 100mph to LONG standstills. Y performed flawlessly with NO alerts. I've mostly gotten over fear of "vehicle may not restart".
That’s the thing. It’s flawless! No panel gaps, superb interior. Just this one tiny thing. I’m wondering if it’s specific to the Austin factory, newly built Y’s? SC has been great but loaning different cars is starting to get tiresome lol

If enough people are experiencing the same issue, then hopefully Tesla will do a ‘physical, go to SC’ recall.

That’s the thing. It’s flawless! No panel gaps, superb interior. Just this one tiny thing. I’m wondering if it’s specific to the Austin factory, newly built Y’s? SC has been great but loaning different cars is starting to get tiresome lol
If you go to the beginning of this thread, it was all MYP built in Fremont. Unless I missed something, your's is the only Austin build to experience this.
I was at an auto event on Sat and spoke to a Tesla rep who claimed to work in service. I told him about a_036 and he said he'd never seen it.

If you go to the beginning of this thread, it was all MYP built in Fremont. Unless I missed something, your's is the only Austin build to experience this.
I was at an auto event on Sat and spoke to a Tesla rep who claimed to work in service. I told him about a_036 and he said he'd never seen it.
I wonder if it’s similar to those park assist alerts that eventually go away. At this point, SC has checked the car multiple times and they couldn’t find anything serious. It’s still in the shop and they’re currently running another diagnostic. Stay tuned! Lol but honestly even with all this trouble, I would NEVER ago back to gas. Tesla is so far ahead in battery and car tech. Even amazing tech have flaws.

Reactions: Bart404