Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Validation Prototypes (VPs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really I guess... I hear the Tesla people refer to them externally as "marketing cars." They get the VINs of VPs so as not to screw up the VIN sequence of cars intended for sale, but they aren't really prototypes any more. However, some VPs can get retasked as engineering cars to try out drivetrain components or different interior elements. I hear one of the current VPs will be modified to show off the 2009 interior.

VP30(?) - This has a different plate to VP25, so I guess so.

IMG_0761_49c8d76e178c3-hero.jpg

OK who put the Gumball 3000 sticker on it?

IMG_0756_49c8dd305d934-lightbox.jpg

IMG_0785_49c8df06efe2b-lightbox.jpg

From here.

(ah - he did...)

Last edited:
I dont know about it, also asked Craig, but he also didnt know.
He just thought it might be "more easy to hide or demonstrate" something in a Mini (put out the back seats, add some battery there) than in an other car.
The controllers under the hood looked "cool", but from the data of the car itself it was not that blast.
Anyway, as long as we dont know some price point, we cant judge on the technics. But I think it is more a demonstration mule for power / drivetrain parts magna is developing in this area for OEM use by other manufacturers.

It is claimed that VP18 has a 240 kW motor which is more powerful that the standard and sport motors, could this be true?

If this is the case, could the new 3.0 battery upgrade be able to take advantage of this?

In case of an update to the VP listing, I can confirm that VP18 is converted to Brabus.
VP18: Radiant Red; microfiber -- rumored to have been converted to the Brabus Roadster.

It is claimed that VP18 has a 240 kW motor which is more powerful that the standard and sport motors, could this be true?

If this is the case, could the new 3.0 battery upgrade be able to take advantage of this?

In case of an update to the VP listing, I can confirm that VP18 is converted to Brabus.
VP18: Radiant Red; microfiber -- rumored to have been converted to the Brabus Roadster.

Interesting...

It felt like VP31 was quicker than it should have been as well.

I heard rumors that some Roadsters are known as "mutants" because they make more power than advertised.

This:
Roadster Features and Specifications | Tesla Motors
Says "...Up to 295 lbs-ft of torque and 300 horsepower are produced..."
240kW would be like 321hp...

For some reason, this:
Tesla Roadster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
says "2.5 Sport : 288 hp (215 kW)"

The max HP numbers seem to vary from place to place... 288hp? 290hp? 300hp? 321hp?