Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA safety inspection fun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the heads up about Curry's in Alexandria. Also what tires do you use for the winter??

Nokian wrg3. but if i had to do it over id probably get tires that Tesla will mount. The current pirellis or michelin x-ice. neither as all around useful as the wrg3, but tesla can mount them. although currys as been fine. but still, lower risk of a mishap at tesla.

Do the Curry's locations (now Mr. Tire, I guess, some sort of corporate absorption....) know how to lift a Tesla to check the brakes for the inspection? Good to know Tysons doesn't do any sort of inspection now, farmed out or not!

And, by the way, those of us in 'emissions counties' can't get the three years registrations, Tesla or no. I went around and around with the DMV on this, and they say their computer system can't handle it. It's by address, period. Lol is all I said in return.....

Do the Curry's locations (now Mr. Tire, I guess, some sort of corporate absorption....) know how to lift a Tesla to check the brakes for the inspection? Good to know Tysons doesn't do any sort of inspection now, farmed out or not!

And, by the way, those of us in 'emissions counties' can't get the three years registrations, Tesla or no. I went around and around with the DMV on this, and they say their computer system can't handle it. It's by address, period. Lol is all I said in return.....
You sure? I thought I had the option to do 1, 2 or 3 years when I registered online.

But maybe it was only 1 or 2 years.

You sure? I thought I had the option to do 1, 2 or 3 years when I registered online.

But maybe it was only 1 or 2 years.
Yeah, unfortunately, I'm quite sure. I thought I *finally* had the opportunity to get around the emissions inspection, no? But it's actually by zip code.

At least the rules state 'in the counties of Loudoun, Fairfax, etc.'. And the computers aren't smart enough to have exceptions for this little case for zero emission cars. I did have a back-and-forth unsatisfying email chat. :)

We can hope that in two years, they will have updated things by model or VIN or something.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
From the Virginia DEQ "Air Check Virginia website: "This inspection program, called Air Check Virginia, is operating in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Stafford and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park."

"A vehicle's inspection date is based on the registration deadline, and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will notify owners six to eight weeks before an inspection is due. DMV can complete vehicle registration only after the inspection has been passed or a waiver has been issued. An inspection must be performed every two years at a permitted emissions inspection station."

This is why DMV will not issue 3 year tags in the above-mentioned counties. Just saying....

From the Virginia DEQ "Air Check Virginia website: "This inspection program, called Air Check Virginia, is operating in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Stafford and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park."

"A vehicle's inspection date is based on the registration deadline, and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will notify owners six to eight weeks before an inspection is due. DMV can complete vehicle registration only after the inspection has been passed or a waiver has been issued. An inspection must be performed every two years at a permitted emissions inspection station."

This is why DMV will not issue 3 year tags in the above-mentioned counties. Just saying....
So something had to change. I got a 3 year registration 2 years ago.

So something had to change. I got a 3 year registration 2 years ago.
Me too. I got a three year sticker for the license plates. But a cop still hassled me about now having the VA inspection sticker on the windshield. Even if it isn't technically required because of a special exception I think it is best to not draw attention or give them an excuse to ask about the inspection sticker. So I get one every year.

I was surprised to learn that Mr. Tire bought Curry's. All Curry's locations used to have the fancy Hunter wheel balancing equipment but now that they're all mr. tires you have to check each individual one to see what they have.

But a cop still hassled me about now having the VA inspection sticker on the windshield. Even if it isn't technically required because of a special exception
Can you cite that exception?
I looked for it and the only thing I found was generally for new vehicle purchases if it was inspected by the manufacturer and that only applies to the first year of ownership. I think the safety inspection IS required each year while electric vehicles are exempted from the emission inspection. And you don't need the safety inspection to have your registration renewed.

I looked for it and the only thing I found was generally for new vehicle purchases if it was inspected by the manufacturer and that only applies to the first year of ownership. I think the safety inspection IS required each year while electric vehicles are exempted from the emission inspection. And you don't need the safety inspection to have your registration renewed.

Perhaps bhzmark is confusing the every 2 years emissions inspection (waived for special fuel vehicles) and the annual safety inspection (required for all vehicles and the safety inspection sticker must be displayed in the windshield). The license plate stickers indicate the registration is current. You need both the window inspection sticker and the license plate sticker or you will get likely get pulled over by law enforcement.

FWIW, I just picked up my new X in Richmond, and I live in Hanover county, where we do not have the NOVA emissions stuff. The car came with an inspection sticker, and it was inspected by a shop nearby the Tesla location on Broad street.

I think the normal state requirements dictate a safety inspection every year. I was able to register one of our other cars for 3 years (a Prius). So I suspect that the "no registration without emissions inspection" thing is a NOVA requirement, and that's what the clean vehicle waiver is for. Eg, it is *not* for the safety inspection itself, just the requirement to have the emissions inspection before registering.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva

Just seeing this now. The exception was for new cars. I rec'd my Tesla in Maryland when there wasn't a Tyco location and the Rockville Tesla didn't put the VA inspection sticker on it. I looked into and found this exception for new cars:

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement.
A. The following shall be exempt from inspection as required by § 46.2-1157:

. . .

18. A new motor vehicle, as defined in § 46.2-1500, that has been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor of the new motor vehicle by an employee who customarily performs such inspection on behalf of a motor vehicle dealer licensed pursuant to § 46.2-1508. Such inspection shall be deemed to be the first inspection for the purpose of § 46.2-1158

It seems that they reasonably assume a brand new car is ok for the first year if it is was inspected by the mfr. At least a cop bought that explanation when I explained it and showed him the law on my phone. But then thought I might as well deface my windshield with the silly sticker so as to not give a reason to get pulled over again.

Last edited:
Just seeing this now. The exception was for new cars. I rec'd my Tesla in Maryland when there wasn't a Tyco location and the Rockville Tesla didn't put the VA inspection sticker on it. I looked into and found this exception for new cars:

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement.
A. The following shall be exempt from inspection as required by § 46.2-1157:

. . .

18. A new motor vehicle, as defined in § 46.2-1500, that has been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor of the new motor vehicle by an employee who customarily performs such inspection on behalf of a motor vehicle dealer licensed pursuant to § 46.2-1508. Such inspection shall be deemed to be the first inspection for the purpose of § 46.2-1158

It seems that they reasonably assume a brand new car is ok for the first year if it is was inspected by the mfr. At least a co bought that when I explained it and showed it to him on my phone. But then thought I might as well deface my windshield with the silly sticker so as to not give a reason to get pulled over again.
Seems like that is never 'done'. Every new car I've ever seen has a new inspection sticker on it. Whether or not it was done by an official inspection station, it has the sticker. Probably for that reason, to avoid hassle.

Seems like that is never 'done'. Every new car I've ever seen has a new inspection sticker on it. Whether or not it was done by an official inspection station, it has the sticker. Probably for that reason, to avoid hassle.
Do you surmise it is possible to not have the inspection sticker applied? I am picking up my 3 from the Richmond store as it is closer then the Raleigh store. Funny part is I work in Norfolk and will have to scrape the sticker off when it expires so I don't have to deal with gate guards questioning me (no front plate in NC either).

What did you list your car as on EZPASS. No Tesla option in MD. I was going to have fun and list as something exotic until the through of having to manually pay tolls came to mind.
So, my Model S according them is now model = OTHER.

Do you surmise it is possible to not have the inspection sticker applied? I am picking up my 3 from the Richmond store as it is closer then the Raleigh store. Funny part is I work in Norfolk and will have to scrape the sticker off when it expires so I don't have to deal with gate guards questioning me (no front plate in NC either).
Hm, I didn't mean for 'out of state' deliveries. I would 'assume' it's part of the registration they are doing for you. If you note that it's going 'where no inspection is needed', then they wouldn't 'do the needful' (IT joke there...).

I was originally responding to the idea that you don't need one at all for the first year in Virginia, and I'd never seen the like. :D

Reactions: diamond.g
Just had my annual VA inspection done at VA Tire in Chantilly, and took only about 20 minutes. They did a good, quick job, recommended (as it was to me above) for any locals in Fairfax/Loudoun who need the annual chore done!

Some updates: They don't seem to really do the tire/wheel off-season storage in general. They do it for one person, perhaps the poster in this thread, lol, who had an arrangement with a prior manager. I'd inquired to see if this was still 'a thing' and they said it wasn't a general offering, so, no go there for anyone looking for a non-Tesla storage location.

I'd also given them a prepared sheet I have with the 'Jack Mode' instructions on it, and they are quite aware of what to do, and had no issues. $16 later was out the door, looking for my Goof Off to get the crap off the center of the windshield from the old sticker! :D

(For the non-natives, Virginia has moved the sticker from the center to the left (driver) corner in 2018, some story about it being better for autonomous car camera equipment? I think it's easier for the police to see the sticker from oncoming cars!)

Hm: Virginia State Inspection Sticker Placement Change in 2018 | Virginia Tire & Auto

Who has cameras/radar in the lower center of the windshield? Serious question!

Edit: Tesla seems to not be in the database still!? Shows as 'Other'.

Last edited: