Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA safety inspection fun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno. If the intent is for all folks using the roads as a resource pay to support such, then seems fair enough. As a matter of fact, I'm (relatively) happy to pay a modest tax just for the sake of removing the argument that EV owners are an entitled bunch, what with all our "free primo parking spaces" and such...

Now, if the subject of what gas/road tax as a whole is actually (ab)used for, that's a whole 'nuther subject, and one for which I might have some strong opinions on...

I actually agree with all of this, even though VA is EV-unfriendly relative to many other states.

I remember comparing the $64 against what I actually would have paid in gas at the time and determining I would've had to drive some absurdly high number of miles to pay $64/year in VA gas tax. But I just looked again, and maybe my numbers were off last time, or the tax rate changed. It's currently 16.2c/gal, so with a 20mpg car, driving only 7900 miles would cost $64 in VA gas tax. ($64 / .162 rate = 395 gallons)

Harder to "break even" tax-wise with a hybrid or other high-mpg car though, but still not nearly as bad as I had (mis?)remembered.

One could argue there might be a better system to pay for road use than a flat annual fee, or a better system than a gas tax for that matter, and one could further argue about where the money collected actually ends up going, but I'm disinclined to open that can of worms here.

I dunno. If the intent is for all folks using the roads as a resource pay to support such, then seems fair enough. As a matter of fact, I'm (relatively) happy to pay a modest tax just for the sake of removing the argument that EV owners are an entitled bunch, what with all our "free primo parking spaces" and such...

Now, if the subject of what gas/road tax as a whole is actually (ab)used for, that's a whole 'nuther subject, and one for which I might have some strong opinions on...

We have to move away from funding roads with gasoline taxes. It's not a tenable model if we (on this site and in the EV community) are correct in thinking that ultimately gasoline will play a minor role in transportation.

I'm not convinced that applying a fee only to EVs is the right first step to move away from that funding model, though in the pantheon of stupid VA laws about cars the EV tax ranks (at best) as a minor demigod. I'd like to see the state's whole approach to vehicle ownership overhauled (let's start by consolidating registration, inspection, and tax collection dates), but that's a much bigger problem.

A straight up tax per mile would be fair. That would make the fuel choice and efficiency irrelevant. Collect the data at the annual inspections. Done.

And yes, if you drive a lot outside of the state it works against you.

A straight up tax per mile would be fair. That would make the fuel choice and efficiency irrelevant. Collect the data at the annual inspections. Done.

It would also disadvantage VA drivers as against drivers from other states passing through VA. That's not a small thing given how much interstate traffic goes over I95 and I81. You could potentially address that with tolls, though then you're double-counting VA drivers.

We have to move away from funding roads with gasoline taxes. It's not a tenable model if we (on this site and in the EV community) are correct in thinking that ultimately gasoline will play a minor role in transportation.

I'm not convinced that applying a fee only to EVs is the right first step to move away from that funding model, though in the pantheon of stupid VA laws about cars the EV tax ranks (at best) as a minor demigod. I'd like to see the state's whole approach to vehicle ownership overhauled (let's start by consolidating registration, inspection, and tax collection dates), but that's a much bigger problem.

I don't necessarily disagree... but whatever model is adopted, it's fair to spread that burden across all users... so until which time another system is in place, the EV fee seems reasonable.

I agree about the "much bigger problem".. :frown:

That would be a big problem for me (I drive a lot out of the state). In my 15k miles so far, I'd estimate at least 1/2 are out of the state. Sure, I'm a rare case.

But also, you have people commuting between NoVa, MD and DC all the time. You'd be taxing VA drivers for working in DC, but not DC residents working in VA.

That would be a big problem for me (I drive a lot out of the state). In my 15k miles so far, I'd estimate at least 1/2 are out of the state. Sure, I'm a rare case.

But also, you have people commuting between NoVa, MD and DC all the time. You'd be taxing VA drivers for working in DC, but not DC residents working in VA.

EV tax indeed, that's a bummer.

Although it would be great for ICE MD drivers who can buy lesser-taxed-gas across the border.
Still, if the cost of road maintenance were assessed on the vehicles that cause the most damage, the burden would be lifted from cars and added hoisted onto trucks - which might incent use of trains for long haul, which I think would be a wonderful thing as it would also reduce the number tractor trailers on the road (reduce congestion, and reduce the number of truly horrible accidents where people are stuck for hours). Course, we'd all have to pay for snow plow damage...

Fair enough, but the same can be said with the current method if the DC resident only buys gas in DC.

I keep telling myself, at least I don't have to pay MD income tax...

...and as was in my case, the local Monkey County Income Tax and the Grocery Bag Tax and the Rain Tax and drive (actually creep) on completely blown up roads (in fact, just last sat. pm was a lane closure at the extremely busy four corners intersection due to a dangerous tire/wheel swallowing massive crater only to be filled in (ineffective of course) with hundreds of shovel loads of cold asphalt).

voted with feet

Last edited:
EV tax just proposed in TN state legislature as well.
Any lawyers out there care to comment on whether this violates the equal protection clause?
My argument would go as follows: with the exception of Teslas, EVs by definition are short-range vehicles. Ergo, they use the roads less than any other type of vehicle, on average. Therefore, arbitrarily taxing their owners based upon either a random number or a mathematically-derived average number of miles driven divided by average MPG multiplied by $ tax/gallon of gasoline, almost invariably penalizes the EV driver more than the gas tax penalizes ICE/gas drivers. Teslas may be an exception, but they remain a relatively small percentage of all EV drivers (at least here in TN, where the LEAF is made).

Thoughts?

I just had my car in to Tysons for the annual service. The safety inspection was due and I asked if they do it. They said NO but they could have it done and just tack the amount due to my service charge. I said sure and when they called me to say the service was done the only thing I owed for was the $16 for the safety inspection. Saved me a trip.

By the way, has anyone that recently applied for or renewed a car registration noticed that there is now a three year option? One less thing to worry about.
Tesla tyco denies being able to do this anymore.

Nothing improper about taking a customer's car to another vendor for detail, body work, or inspection. Probably they just want to keep their people busy servicing cars instead doing errands that aren't top priority.

Re-awakening a dead thread to ask:

Anybody have a favorite spot for VA Safety inspection? Preferably in the Merrifield - Seven Corners area? Mine was due in Sept and I didn't bring it in so I want to get it done in the next few days; prefer a place that won't be confused about how to turn on the headlights, check wipers (service mode), etc.

Anybody have a favorite spot for VA Safety inspection? Preferably in the Merrifield - Seven Corners area? Mine was due in Sept and I didn't bring it in so I want to get it done in the next few days; prefer a place that won't be confused about how to turn on the headlights, check wipers (service mode), etc.
There's a place in Fairfax that knows what to do. The Exxon at Braddock and Rolling Road. Show up on a weekday, the weekend guy is clueless about Teslas, the weekday guy has done a lot.

Here ya go: Fairfax area state inspection

I have it done at the Curry's in Alexandria when I have them put on my winter tires. the one time a year I have to go to an old ICE establishment.

most Curry's have the better tire balancing and mounting equipment.

Tesla service will put on my OEM tires in the spring, but won't mount my non-Tesla winter tires.

I've used the Shell station at 5751 Burke Centre Pkwy, Burke, VA 22015 for 4 years now (and others have used them as well). They are well versed in inspecting Teslas (including putting the car in Jack Mode). Almost never a line, either!
I should add also that 4 years ago (Dec 2013) I took the inspector out and let him drive the car as well!!

Reactions: CatB
I have it done at the Curry's in Alexandria when I have them put on my winter tires. the one time a year I have to go to an old ICE establishment.

most Curry's have the better tire balancing and mounting equipment.

Tesla service will put on my OEM tires in the spring, but won't mount my non-Tesla winter tires.

Thanks for the heads up about Curry's in Alexandria. Also what tires do you use for the winter??