Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

v8.0 release coming in a few weeks, details later today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's Elon Musk time. Basically double whatever time frame he tells you he'll do something. If he says he will write a blog post in two days, it's pretty safe to say it'll be at least three or more days. The SpaceX disaster just pushed that timeframe even further back.

Here is how it went down ..

Wednesday:
EM: Today is good day to write the 8.0 blogpost, and y'know I love Tesla fans, so I'll tweet it too.
World: Goes wild
EM: Okay done and squared away, lets send this to lawyers to publish and review.
Lawyers: We need to show we are doing something, so lets suggest changes.
EM: Crap, didn't have time to review that, esp. with that launch coming up. I'll do it tomorrow.

EM sleeps.

Thursday:
EM: Another good day, lets take care of that 8.0 stuff.
62million $ rocket ship with Zuck's $200m spyware goes BOOM!
EM: I'm sure this happens to everyone, need to refocus.
EM (later in the day): Tweets - guys I haven't forgotten about the blogpost.

.. meanwhile here on TMC .. :-/ .. c'mon guys seriously, don't tell me your 62million $ rocket ship with your billionaire buddy's $200m spyware hasn't ever gone BOOM on you for no apparent reason!

Here's a thought. If you have to postpone a major announcement regarding the future of one company of which you are the major principle, because of an emergency in another completely unrelated company of which you are the major principle, perhaps you have too much on your plate.

Put another way, do the stockholders of Tesla deserve a full-time CEO? Is Tesla too big for a CEO that spends by all accounts at least half his time working for another, unrelated, company?

Yes and no. Yes, major decisions at one company should not be affected by another. But this is a relatively minor PR thing. In the greater scheme of things how important is an pre-emptive announcement about version 8.0 of a vehicle operating system. It's minor.

I don't know of course, but I very much expect that Elon, despite the PR, delegates a lot of responsibility for major items to his loyalists. You simply cannot run businesses that size otherwise. I suspect that the "Elon makes every decision" is based more in mythology than present reality.

And in either case, he's been doing quite a fine job in my estimation.

Here's a thought. If you have to postpone a major announcement regarding the future of one company of which you are the major principle, because of an emergency in another completely unrelated company of which you are the major principle, perhaps you have too much on your plate.

Put another way, do the stockholders of Tesla deserve a full-time CEO? Is Tesla too big for a CEO that spends by all accounts at least half his time working for another, unrelated, company?
Not even an issue unless you know someone who you know will execute at least as well on the vision and leadership bit. Even though he meddles about in a lot of day to day stuff and has a positive impact there, his critical contribution is over the long term. There are many others to handle the short term.

this is the new anti-marketing at work. Tesla doesn't advertise - why should they when so many of us will hang on every word Musk tweets, and get emotionally involved enough to post about it? Approach does not work without controversial tweets. Ask Trump. Nobody tunes in for the uneventful.
Ouch! I hate that comparison even though I think you're mostly correct. The difference may be that few of us imagine ourselves to be under-priveleged or somehow oppressed. Few, not all: I feel oppressed because my P85DL is now obsolescent and I want a P100DL with Bioweapon Defense Mode.:p

Reactions: RedP85+
I'll take 33% of Elon Musk over 100% of anyone else.
33% of Elon is equal to at least 200% of any other CEO.
It isn't a major announcement. It's a blog post that will detail a software update that isn't slated for release for probably at least a couple of weeks or more. Not exactly urgent stuff.
Exactly.
I recall was that Elon would remain as Tesla CEO until after the Model 3 platform stabilized. Thereafter, one presumed that he'd probably focus upon getting to Mars, and who could blame him.
That is my understanding as well. As important as Tesla Motors is to Elon, his real passion is establishing a permanent sustainable human colony on Mars.
The problem I have with the theory that EM did not release his 8.0 news on August 31 because of the SpaceX disaster is hard to understand based upon time frames
I never stated that the V8 blog post delay was entirely due to the SpaceX rocket explosion (please quote someone in this thread who made that claim). Elon's blog post was about 17 hours late and then the explosion occurred. 17 hours late for a blog post is nothing unusual for him, and is not the tragedy that some people seem to think it is. The SpaceX accident has no pushed the release date for the blog post out several days, which is understandable.

Wednesday:
EM: Today is good day to write the 8.0 blogpost, and y'know I love Tesla fans, so I'll tweet it too.
EM: Okay done and squared away, lets send this to lawyers to publish and review.
EM: Crap, didn't have time to review that, esp. with that launch coming up. I'll do it tomorrow.

EM sleeps.

Thursday:

.. meanwhile here on TMC .. :-/ .. c'mon guys seriously, don't tell me your 62million $ rocket ship with your billionaire buddy's $200m spyware hasn't ever gone BOOM on you for no apparent reason!

I do imagine it happened more or less like this.

I'll also add that right after the explosion, probably all Musk lawyers were pulled off Review Elon Blog duty to deal with billion dollar international liability lawsuit preparation.

Wednesday:

EM sleeps.

Thursday:

Also - explaining the situation to Zuck clearly must be taking time away from Elon finishing that blog post...
A totally real conversation between Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg about a rocket

;)

33% of Elon is equal to at least 200% of any other CEO.

Exactly.

That is my understanding as well. As important as Tesla Motors is to Elon, his real passion is establishing a permanent sustainable human colony on Mars.
I never stated that the V8 blog post delay was entirely due to the SpaceX rocket explosion (please quote someone in this thread who made that claim). Elon's blog post was about 17 hours late and then the explosion occurred. 17 hours late for a blog post is nothing unusual for him, and is not the tragedy that some people seem to think it is. The SpaceX accident has no pushed the release date for the blog post out several days, which is understandable.
My reference to your comment was made as a tie to a more general string of reactions and not to single you out. Did not mean to pick on you.