Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two ways to get a User Plots file copied into the iOS app's working memory:

1. Use the iTunes program on a PC or Mac to Copy the file from that PC or Mac computer into the USB-attached phone or tablet app's appropriate private memory.

2. What I do with the iPad, to avoid using another computer: In your Dropbox account, place your User Plots file in the "Apps/TM-Spy/Copy to TM-Spy" folder. Enable the TM-Spy app's Dropbox option in Settings, logging into your Dropbox account. Then, restart the iOS version of TM-Spy from fully stopped, and it will detect and download any current or later version of your User Plots file, the file named "spyvarparmlist.csv".

Note, I use the free "Nocs" iOS app to see and edit the text lines in the ".csv" file. I have not found a suitable csv-file spreadsheet editor that will save the spreadsheet back in the "csv" format. Perhaps you have a suggestion?

Last edited:
So I've got all my pieces together to start playing with the apps: ODB Bluetooth, Chris's short cable, Android phone and tablet + iphone that took the picture. Now one questions for Gary, I think I saw you had the same VGate, did you get it to work on iOS, or that was the Android one and you HAD to get the LE Link for iOS?

image1.JPG

The Android version of TM-Spy uses the standard Bluetooth that the Vgate provides (see the standard Bluetooth icon on the Vgate dongle).

The iOS version of TM-Spy currently requires the new Bluetooth 4.0 (Low Energy) type of dongle, like the LELink OBD dongle.

So, you are set up for using the Android device, assuming that you are "registered" as a Tester for the Android TM-Spy app.

The Android version of TM-Spy uses the standard Bluetooth that the Vgate provides (see the standard Bluetooth icon on the Vgate dongle).

The iOS version of TM-Spy currently requires the new Bluetooth 4.0 (Low Energy) type of dongle, like the LELink OBD dongle.

So, you are set up for using the Android device, assuming that you are "registered" as a Tester for the Android TM-Spy app.

Thanks Gary, that's what I remembered reading, but the LELink is hard to find on this side of the border and not all stores ship across.
So I was just hoping the VGate might also work. I'll keep looking and try to get an LELink.
I sent an email today to Turbo3 requesting access.
Is there something else I should be doing to become a 'registered' tester?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roadrunner13
Thanks Gary, that's what I remembered reading, but the LELink is hard to find on this side of the border and not all stores ship across.
So I was just hoping the VGate might also work. I'll keep looking and try to get an LELink.
I sent an email today to Turbo3 requesting access.
Is there something else I should be doing to become a 'registered' tester?
I actually have a similar wifi v-gate reader and it works just fine with either android or iOS, I don't have the exact same one as you but it might be worth a try before buying another one.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadrunner13
Amazon has the LELink here, you can try to order and see if they will ship to you.
Amazon.com: LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad: Automotive
Yes, this is the one I had tried and they won't ship to Canada :(

Email to [email protected] with a Subject something like "Request Tester status iOS" (or Android)
See the nearby thread "Using TM-Spy with iOS" (or Android).
Thanks. I'll do this also. I had send him a message board PM yesterday.

I actually have a similar wifi v-gate reader and it works just fine with either android or iOS, I don't have the exact same one as you but it might be worth a try before buying another one.
Ahh! That's exactly what I was hoping for, that the LELink would be more easy because of BT LE 4.0, but the VGate would still work...I'll try it out.
Thanks OBrien!

The Leaf Spy app for iOS supports some WiFi OBD dongles, but, for now,
the TM-Spy for iOS only supports the newer Low Energy Bluetooth 4.0 version.
Sorry Gary but that's wrong, I'm using a WiFi enabled V-Gate unit that works perfectly with the TM-Spy iOS app (there is a whole section in the preferences for setting it up). Bluetooth is another story as those units have never worked with the iPhone (until BLE came out)

Question to those who have an 85. Can you please post your highest pack capacity and mileage, please? Mine is 2 years old, has 70k miles on it and the highest I have seen is 73.4 kWh. Just want to get an feel for what others seeing.

Also, on the temperature display, does anyone know the physical placement of the modules and their numbers in the app? I see an interesting pattern of how the temperatures is on the different modules. The low and high numbers are cooler than the mid numbers. Once I drive or charge it evens out, though. Would be interesting to see what modules cool down faster than others depending on their placement.

Question to those who have an 85. Can you please post your highest pack capacity and mileage, please? Mine is 2 years old, has 70k miles on it and the highest I have seen is 73.4 kWh. Just want to get an feel for what others seeing.

Also, on the temperature display, does anyone know the physical placement of the modules and their numbers in the app? I see an interesting pattern of how the temperatures is on the different modules. The low and high numbers are cooler than the mid numbers. Once I drive or charge it evens out, though. Would be interesting to see what modules cool down faster than others depending on their placement.
73.9kWh highest readout. 3.25 years old. 44.4k miles. Original B version battery.

Another question for everyone using the app. It shows the total charge and discharge kWh for the battery pack. It seems that is the total amount of energy that went in and out of the battery since day one. Is that consistent with the trip meter provided you never reset it. I never reset my 'B' trip and thus shows the total miles and energy used from the day I picked up my car.
The total energy shows in my B trip and what the app shows is very different.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Another question for everyone using the app. It shows the total charge and discharge kWh for the battery pack. It seems that is the total amount of energy that went in and out of the battery since day one. Is that consistent with the trip meter provided you never reset it. I never reset my 'B' trip and thus shows the total miles and energy used from the day I picked up my car.
This is most likely due to regen. The trip calculator ignores the energy returned from regen (unless it exceeds 1 kWh).

So what are other's thoughts on what threshold should be considered "out of balance"? I haven't exceeded 90% charge in probably about 2 months and have watched my stable pack mV spread increase to about 16 mV. Personally, I'm sure this is by no means considered out of balance, but just looking for input. I'm curious to see how this spread tightens after forcing a pack balance.

I have the same discrepancy David99. The app shows only about ~1/3 of the kWh used from my lifetime trip meter (i.e. battery discharge estimate is ~5,000kWh and the total lifetime trip meter shows ~13,000kWh used).
There are only 2 things I can think of that might explain this lower number from the app, since I'm still on my original battery pack.
1) The battery discharge kWh counter was reset when I last did a battery swap station visit at Harris Ranch in California
or
2) The battery discharge kWh counter was reset when my battery's contactors failed and were replaced.
Since those two events were pretty close in time last year, and reasonably about ~5000kWh of energy usage ago, I can't be sure if one or the other was root cause.

So what are other's thoughts on what threshold should be considered "out of balance"? I haven't exceeded 90% charge in probably about 2 months and have watched my stable pack mV spread increase to about 16 mV. Personally, I'm sure this is by no means considered out of balance, but just looking for input. I'm curious to see how this spread tightens after forcing a pack balance.
Largest imbalance I see is around 6mV after battery has rested for a while. Smallest is around 4mV under similar battery rest conditions (but different state of charge).

I have the same discrepancy David99. The app shows only about ~1/3 of the kWh used from my lifetime trip meter (i.e. battery discharge estimate is ~5,000kWh and the total lifetime trip meter shows ~13,000kWh used).
There are only 2 things I can think of that might explain this lower number from the app, since I'm still on my original battery pack.
1) The battery discharge kWh counter was reset when I last did a battery swap station visit at Harris Ranch in California
or
2) The battery discharge kWh counter was reset when my battery's contactors failed and were replaced.
Since those two events were pretty close in time last year, and reasonably about ~5000kWh of energy usage ago, I can't be sure if one or the other was root cause.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this. My numbers are also about 1/3 or even less. My car never had a battery swap and I never had any work done on the battery. My car has been in the shop many times (mostly DU replacements) and maybe they secretly swapped out the battery? I doubt it, though. I find it interesting that while we have different cars with different histories, we both see very similar differences (about 1/3). I'll ask the service center tomorrow. I doubt they will comment on what the app shows in any way :)