Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the market for a year now.

Autotrader prices make no sense considering new is $83K for 70D with a few options in Ontario.
Lease buyout in early 2013's will be in low 50K in 18 months.
Tesla CPO used S85 going for $83K, again, why buy used?

Just no sense in buying used right now, people want too much compared to new.

Found autotrader prices are always high. There's a 40kwh for 71k. more than a new 40Kwh.
However, I bought a CPO P85 for 85k fully loaded last month. If I have known about the 70D, would I change my mind? May be. But I still love the P85.

Well it appears that the 40kWh car is down to 69,999 now, still not a compelling buy.
At the other end of the spectrum is a 2013 P85 that somebody thinks they can sell for 126,000 when I can match it's options for less money on a brand new 85D, He'll either be keeping that car for a while, or someone is quite the sucker!

- - - Updated - - -

Found autotrader prices are always high. There's a 40kwh for 71k. more than a new 40Kwh.
However, I bought a CPO P85 for 85k fully loaded last month. If I have known about the 70D, would I change my mind? May be. But I still love the P85.
Do you mind me asking what year the P85 you bought was?

There was a used green 85 in the GTA that first got me thinking about the MS as "affordable" for me, the ad said it had been bought to be a livery service vehicle but they changed their mind (?). I think they were asking 77k, I was hoping to get them to 69k, but it was sold by the time I got there. For all value calculations it's important to remember that the first owner of the MS got an $8500 cheque from the Province.

The black 40 that's at a Toronto used car dealer needs to come down at least 10k so the purchaser can unlock the battery... but I suspect they may be very happy leaving it plugged in at the dealership (well at least I sure hope they leave it plugged in) just for the buzz it creates.

The used models I've seen are 2013 and soooo much has been done to improve the MS since then. This is the part that makes me anxious about resale value -- I rarely buy new but with this car there is just so much continuous improvement that it seems that "now" is the right time. And of course that time of "now" is a constantly moving target.

Lucky for us even our used battery tray is worth a "pile" :smile:

The used models I've seen are 2013 and soooo much has been done to improve the MS since then. This is the part that makes me anxious about resale value -- I rarely buy new but with this car there is just so much continuous improvement that it seems that "now" is the right time. And of course that time of "now" is a constantly moving target.

I think you're overemphasizing the "soooo much" when it comes to the improvements. Of course, there have been great improvements, but you have to weigh that against having driven one since 2013 until now. I've driven a 2013 (my test drive) and a new one with autopilot (my last service) and I'd take having driven one daily for two years, and two summers with my wife & kids (one of which is moving out and going to University next year) than starting out now and buying one new with the soooo much improvements. I've only had mine just over one year so this is coming up to my second summer (yeah!). I don't have autopilot or dual motors. But I also don't have my last year plus of my life to live over and what fun we had with this car! Dual motors and autopilot are not more important to me than the last summer I had with my family and my car. I say "summer" because I take most of it off to be with my family and we do road trips, go to our lakehouse, etc. since the kids are out of school. But really even just driving to and from work, etc. is such a pleasure, and we'll all be dead and buried before we realize. Life's too short to put things off because we're waiting for something better. Something better is coming, of course, but that's always the case.

Also, resale value is something that I look at for my investment portfolio and not for my vehicles.

Reactions: Lon12
used green 85 in the GTA ...but it was sold by the time I got there.

Yeah, I was interested in that car for high 60's (and said so the the seller), but he got mid-70's just before the CPO came online.
A few CPO P85 are available near $75K. Whomever bought that S85 paid $7K too much IMHO.

Waiting out the X early deliveries, betting on something nice in the $60K's coming available due to trade-ins.

Not interested in S60 at all. Won't compromise on range, I want to road trip the Tesla around US.

The 70D is interesting, but nicely optioned puts it $15K above similarly optioned P85 CPO, so you'd really have to like AWD and cut down the options to not get CPO at this point.

Hehe sorry to stir up your passion folks but I guess it is an electric sports sedan after all :biggrin: this is still all fermenting as an actual thing for me, I was in no position to consider the Model S when it first arrived (so I just blocked it out of existence LOL), so some used 85's at CDN 64k with 120k km's or so -- and in some old colours no longer available -- and I bet you'll have a heated resale market. We are almost there, no ???

Clearly any year is a good year !! I have never seen such near unanimous support for a new car. But I've seen Elon Musk suggest that if you liked your newer, better performing loaner, then it's yours -- at a price, of course, via a very minor process, you just switch cars to the "newer" and "better" ... sorry folks I can't spell those any other way :tongue: and I'll be there too, in no time :wink:

PS don't expect me to race any of you 85's in my 70 so you have me there until my first performance upgrade lol

I think the prices will correct themselves in time just like they are in the US. It's just going to take a bit longer here due to less cars around and owners desperately clinging onto the thought that their expensive EVs are not going to depreciate...

The new 70D will surely put some pressure once they start arriving into the country.

I was thinking of waiting another year and spring for a used S85 but it seems futile given the fact that we can't import any of the US cars not to mention the crazy exchange rate at the moment so I've decided to wait for Model 3. I leased a Lincoln MKC for 3 years in the meantime.

many messages.
yes, can be ship or maybe even transfered via TM.
if not too far, I can drive, might I have a way to get back.
I am in the eastern townships of Quebec, 105 minutes from montreal.
many, many people in the US buy Teslas and have them shipped, without ever driving it before.
at your own expense, the SC in montreal can provide a report from a full inspection. at your own expenses.

I think I found what I want, so it is officialy on the market, I guess...

Well here we are in the 60-70k range with a low mileage 85.. wow, well at least a Kijii ad (I bought a Motorola Razr on there once lol).

Has anyone inquired on this ad ?

I imagine this was a quick sale. And, there was some catch / surprise eg. Seinfeld's smelly Saab :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Lex