Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Canada] Looking for advice on buying a used Tesla, is it worth the savings if I'm keeping it long term

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the options I have currently. I do want to have Enhanced Autopilot so if I buy a car with just standard autopilot, I'll have to purchase it separately. Don't really care much about FSD since it doesn't seem valuable.

I want to keep this car for at least 5-10 years so is it worth getting a 2021 model with FSD for a good deal or should I go for the 2022 or 2023 ones. Probably won't get the new Tesla since I am not eligible for the 5k federal credit

• Brand New 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
    • Year: 2023
    • Mileage: 0 km
    • Original Pre-Tax Price: $72,580 CAD
  • Used 2023 Tesla Model Y LR (Dealership)
    • Year: 2023
    • Mileage: 24,002 km
    • Original Pre-Tax Price: $66,995 CAD
  • 1st 2022 Tesla Model Y LR (Dealership)
    • Year: 2022
    • Mileage: 30,285 km
    • Original Pre-Tax Price: $62,700 CAD
  • 2nd 2022 Tesla Model Y LR (Dealership)
    • Year: 2022
    • Mileage: 14,000 km
    • Original Pre-Tax Price: $64,888 CAD
  • Used 2021 Tesla Model Y LR with FSD (Private Seller)
    • Year: 2021
    • Mileage: 76,900 km
    • Original Pre-Tax Price: $64,500 CAD

Solution
FSD is almost worthless. It might add 2k value to the car. There are improvements throughout the years so I'd lean towards the 2022 or 2023. The 2022's will have the parking sensors (USS), the 23's won't.

Here are my thoughts assuming all the color combos are comparable and you like them. I'd also lean toward any that have 19" wheels as going larger just hurt the range even as they drive up cost.

For the 23's you have listed, I'd go with the brand-new one for the 5.5k difference. The tires will already be half worn out or maybe worse.

Of the '22's I'd go with the lesser km one as it is only 2k more and half the k's. When I then compare against new, I'd still lean toward new to have a brand new car, all the improvements (one step...
I've probably migrated into a different category over the years, but I'm really skeptical of used cars these days. I think people mistreat vehicles quite badly, and it's probably worse with EVs. Then add to it that they're selling it after less than a year. They probably wanted to play with the tech and then move on, and treated it like a journalist review car the whole time.

If your plan is to own it long term you'll boost your desire to care for it if there's no suspicion that whatever problems it has were generated by previous owners. And you'll get the benefit of being able to say you put all 380,000 km on it (or whatever).

You could document the whole journey. And there would be no gaps. That would actually be really helpful to the EV community.

Upvote 0
FSD is almost worthless. It might add 2k value to the car. There are improvements throughout the years so I'd lean towards the 2022 or 2023. The 2022's will have the parking sensors (USS), the 23's won't.

Here are my thoughts assuming all the color combos are comparable and you like them. I'd also lean toward any that have 19" wheels as going larger just hurt the range even as they drive up cost.

For the 23's you have listed, I'd go with the brand-new one for the 5.5k difference. The tires will already be half worn out or maybe worse.

Of the '22's I'd go with the lesser km one as it is only 2k more and half the k's. When I then compare against new, I'd still lean toward new to have a brand new car, all the improvements (one step back [lack of USS starting in late 2022]). Here is the list of changes. Most noticeable one for me would be the softened suspension for 2023.

Tesla Model Y history of changes by year

Absolutely I'd pass on the 2021 unless you REALLY REALLY want FSD. I assign it almost 0 value. Being in Canada an important change was in 2022 when Tesla added a heated parking zone for the wipers. Definitely a plus in the winter.

Upvote 0
Solution