Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla buying ...how important is model year??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any issues with brakes or other basic maintenance? What have you done for maintenance, I am trying to get in the game, but unsure about ESA for the AC module, door handles etc, or just risk it.

As with any used car its a risk with no warranty. Brakes should not really be an issue since the one pedal driving really reduces the amount of break using by a huge amount. I did have one door handle updated to the gen 3 version and I have an appointment on the 22nd to get my TPMS updated/fixed at Tesla

Thank you SO MUCH for these quick comments and insights. It really helps a TON. Love that article you wrote up commasign !

Unfortunately I just found out that the 2012 P85 sold, but that's okay I have a few others I'm looking at:

Tomorrow I'm going to drive up to look at a 2013 P85 and a 2013 S 60. I'm a bit torn from what I know about them so far. The S60 looks to be in a bit better condition (beautifully pristine) and has all the tech features and sunroof and everything cosmetic that I like. The P85 is just a bit more run down, no sunroof, higher mileage, but...it's a P85 and I would love to have the security of that extra range, and, astonishingly, it's only currently $2000 more. It also just had the drive unit replaced.

I'm really curious to check them out, so wish me luck, and seriously any other tips you have when comparing or making this decision would be so incredibly appreciated.

The battery warranty on the old 60s was not unlimited miles, so a consideration vs the 85.

Well update for anyone who is interested in my progress lol:

I went and did another model 3 test drive/pricing just to make sure I had the most up to date information. It is so much car for the money, it's pretty amazing how affordable they have made that thing and how high tech it was. I don't love how minimalist it is, but there's no denying it's a fantastic car.

I then went and tested a P85. It was fantastically priced but....a bit run down, it just felt kind of dark and gloomy inside and a bit cheap as well (carbon fiber sticker all over everything). The leather was worn and it just felt like an old car, though a zippy one.

Lastly I checked out the S 60. In my mind I had ruled this car out because I figured, why would I get this when I could just get a 3 with more range, but, this car did have the advantage of being significantly cheaper than any other option (plus they were offering a great deal on my trade-in i3).

It......beat my expectations. This car was a 2013 but I wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't brand new. Meticulously maintained, it was actually a corporate car for someone in Tesla so it was really well taken care of. It was incredibly fun to drive, which surprised me considering I had just driven a P85 and found it to just be "okay". It was punchy, had great maneuverability, and stunningly clean and striking... and for the price I didn't think I could turn it down.

So...maybe it would have been the most future proof to get the model 3 and maybe it would have been the most range for my $ to get an 85 or 3, but that Model s 60 won me over. Bank was closed today but going to go finalize the purchase early next week.

Last edited:
Thank you! I brought him/her home yesterday and am really loving it. Driving on the freeway was a thrill, though driving around my little city streets feels almost silly for how big and luxurious the car is (I am used to driving very small cars so in comparison the model s feels like a boat lol).

As a new owner of a used Tesla, any services or check-ups anyone would recommend doing?

(also sorry for lack of pics, I haven't taken any but I will!)

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
Congrats on the new ride. It sounds great. One thing for others to note on all these cars is the rate of change. The 2012 and 2013 models had a ton of stuff changing. I, as an example, purposely held out for a 2013 with parking sensors...as Shadnic notes, it is a big car compared to a lot. I use them every time I park. Conversely, I did not care if I had folding mirrors as I have enough "width" when parking.

Congrats on the new ride. It sounds great. One thing for others to note on all these cars is the rate of change. The 2012 and 2013 models had a ton of stuff changing. I, as an example, purposely held out for a 2013 with parking sensors...as Shadnic notes, it is a big car compared to a lot. I use them every time I park. Conversely, I did not care if I had folding mirrors as I have enough "width" when parking.

Ah yeah that would be...really nice lol. Unless that's somewhere in the settings that I'm not aware of, I don't think mine has that. (Actually just read that that's possible to retrofit onto some older models...I may look into that).

Last edited:
Ah yeah that would be...really nice lol. Unless that's somewhere in the settings that I'm not aware of, I don't think mine has that. (Actually just read that that's possible to retrofit onto some older models...I may look into that).

I don't think it is generally worth it to try and get Tesla to do it, but there are aftermarket alternatives. They aren't integrated into the Tesla screens of course, but the "beeping" is almost as valuable. Some of the aftermarket kits have LEDs representing the individual sensors ((note: the bumpers have the round circles (about the size of a nickle or quarter) on them if you have parking sensors...autopilot cars have two extra sensors on the sides of the bumpers).