Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Roadster shopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick battery test

I purchased a used 2008 and feel very fortunate. I have put on over 5500 miles in the last 7 months, about 5x the intial owner did in the first 2 years. The car really drives like a dream.

Would it not be a quick battery test to check the ideal miles after a standard charge? If the pack registers between 175-185 miles could not one assume the battery pack is in good shape? I would also ask for a copy of the maintenance records on a used Roadster.

Here's a suggestion:

As the new owner you pay for a current annual service, and the owner pays for any repairs that they find during the service. If the seller backs out he pays for the service also. If the car is under warranty then most of what they find would be covered anyway, if out of warranty then this could be important.

To underscore score the importance of there being a recent service: Remember that you are responsible for getting the car to a Tesla service facility (or pay $1 per mile each way), so be sure that if the seller is near a service facility and you are not, be sure to get a service done before the car is shipped. Some U.S. locations are more than 1,000 miles from the nearest service facility.

Would it not be a quick battery test to check the ideal miles after a standard charge? If the pack registers between 175-185 miles could not one assume the battery pack is in good shape?

It's a first-order approximation, a bleed test like they do at the annual would be better.

Also, you can't always treat the battery pack as a single unit. Mine, for example, is mostly 2-1/2 years old, but with one 1-1/2 year old sheet and 3 6 month old sheets. Quick, how old is my battery? ;-)

It's a first-order approximation, a bleed test like they do at the annual would be better.

Also, you can't always treat the battery pack as a single unit. Mine, for example, is mostly 2-1/2 years old, but with one 1-1/2 year old sheet and 3 6 month old sheets. Quick, how old is my battery? ;-)

If out of warrenty what would it cost to replace a couple of sheets?