Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used Model S prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, see-- THAT is the kind of deal I'm talking about. Please, Tesla, save one for me just like dratifk's.

Given the guesstimated lifespan of a MS, I see no problem expecting one built in 2013 with 40k miles on it, selling for around 60% value in 2015. Toss that into the mix of new MX hitting the road and I think there will be a large number of households going from zero to TWO Teslas.

The $87k that dratifk would be after a tax credit to the first owner.

If you are looking in that $95-100k range you should look into cars Tesla has in inventory. There was hardly anything below $95k, but most of the inventory falls right around $95-105k. If I only had another $15k it would be very easy to get a good deal on an inventory vehicle.

Mines cheap

Your car is gorgeous, no doubt-- love the green/grey look.

I saw it on the sale board and wasn't going to comment there-- but since you brought it up, it's a good example of my point:

Let's assume 9 months since delivery, 2k miles, minus tax rebates not applicable to used cars-- and I come up with a residual that should be $19740 off original price.

By my math, you're still almost $10k high.

I'm not saying you won't GET your asking price---but my point is most used Tesla's are not being depreciated in a way that is sustainable. Your price-- effectively-- is only about $2000 less than buying new (in my state). WHY would anyone do that other than impatience?? As soon as Tesla build times shorten and supply loosens up, these kinds of residuals will crumble. Anyone wanting to sell should do so while the premium can still be enjoyed.
---
PhilBA: The tax credits are first owner only. So any reasonable buyer will automatically be deducting a value equal to whatever tax credits (federal/state/local) they would receive on a similarly configured new car.
Those tax credits are a 2-edged sword.

Last edited:
Does the federal tax credit apply to used electric vehicles?

Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Your car is gorgeous, no doubt-- love the green/grey look.

I saw it on the sale board and wasn't going to comment there-- but since you brought it up, it's a good example of my point:

Let's assume 9 months since delivery, 2k miles, minus tax rebates not applicable to used cars-- and I come up with a residual that should be $19740 off original price.

By my math, you're still almost $10k high.

I'm not saying you won't GET your asking price---but my point is most used Tesla's are not being depreciated in a way that is sustainable. Your price-- effectively-- is only about $2000 less than buying new (in my state). WHY would anyone do that other than impatience?? As soon as Tesla build times shorten and supply loosens up, these kinds of residuals will crumble. Anyone wanting to sell should do so while the premium can still be enjoyed.

Those tax credits are a 2-edged sword.

See that's your problem, you assume and you should never do that.

My car is brand new, it was delivered to me in late November not 9 months ago....at it has NOT lost 20K in value, so the number you came up with is laughable. Tesla offered us 1K less then what I am asking on trade in. We reduced it with the 7500 tax credit plus anther 2500. You cannot buy this car new for that price with the tax credit nor do you have to wait....however there are lower priced cars with way more mileage and different options that have been listed.....around the 70K mark.

And thanks, our car is gorgeous but so is the P85 on it's way :tongue:

See that's your problem, you assume and you should never do that.

My car is brand new, it was delivered to me in late November not 9 months ago....at it has NOT lost 20K in value, so the number you came up with is laughable. Tesla offered us 1K less then what I am asking on trade in. We reduced it with the 7500 tax credit plus anther 2500. You cannot buy this car new for that price with the tax credit nor do you have to wait....however there are lower priced cars with way more mileage and different options that have been listed.....around the 70K mark.

And thanks, our car is gorgeous but so is the P85 on it's way :tongue:

I was making a guess based on the VIN-- as I had a S85 order in October (December delivery) with a VIN over 27000. All same options but leather instead of 21"-- works out to $81k after rebates.
The formula I used was Tesla's, 1% month/ $1 mile. Tax credits here total $10k-- so the "ceiling" on price is different here. So while you might laugh at my number, I think it's reasonable as I could indeed buy a car similar to yours-- but an S85-- for only $6k more... brand new.

I don't mean to offend. Please don't misunderstand. Heck-- I'd consider your car if it were closer and little less!

I'm just offering my perspective as a potential buyer who has already done the math on a new S85 (and decided to wait on the MX pricing).
I do see a lot of MS listings... but a listing is not a transaction price or a sale.
I fully expect Tesla to not remain immune from depreciation forever.

You are smart to upgrade now, while you can do so with essentially no money lost-- assuming you get your price... and I hope you do!
It really is a stunning car... and I know an owner local to me who would agree. Tesla Supercharger - Somerset, PA - YouTube

I was making a guess based on the VIN-- as I had a S85 order in October (December delivery) with a VIN over 27000. All same options but leather instead of 21"-- works out to $81k after rebates.
The formula I used was Tesla's, 1% month/ $1 mile. Tax credits here total $10k-- so the "ceiling" on price is different here. So while you might laugh at my number, I think it's reasonable as I could indeed buy a car similar to yours-- but an S85-- for only $6k more... brand new.

I don't mean to offend. Please don't misunderstand. Heck-- I'd consider your car if it were closer and little less!

I'm just offering my perspective as a potential buyer who has already done the math on a new S85 (and decided to wait on the MX pricing).
I do see a lot of MS listings... but a listing is not a transaction price or a sale.
I fully expect Tesla to not remain immune from depreciation forever.

You are smart to upgrade now, while you can do so with essentially no money lost-- assuming you get your price... and I hope you do!
It really is a stunning car... and I know an owner local to me who would agree. Tesla Supercharger - Somerset, PA - YouTube

Totally not offended in anyway. And I cannot wait for the 85!